Krista's Care

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm actually proud of her for rolling with this reduction. She could have held out on hunger strike. I probably would have given in too and we'd both still be miserable chasing barf piles and poopfoots.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does anyone else insist that every meal be a three course affair with dessert in the middle? :lol:
Not that exactly, but for some reason it reminded me of Feeby - who will sit in front of her bowl when there is only a few pieces of food left and will NOT move until I add more. Many times, once I add a few more pieces, she will actually walk away without eating any of it.

She just has to know that there is a reserve left for her. My husband says she is just stocking up in case I would die before her next scheduled meal!?!? :crazy:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband says she is just stocking up in case I would die before her next scheduled meal!?!?
:crackup:

I have told Krista on numerous occasions (usually when I have the flu), "If I die from this, you may eat my body. No reason this should kill us both."

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:whiskers:
"I know both boxes just wronged you. If I feed you, will you reconsider whatever you're considering for my carpet?"
:clapcat:

Cats!

She has Goldilocks butt. One poop was too firm. The other was too soft. They both made it into litterboxes while I was on a conference call.

"If I get you a third litterbox, would you use it for barf?"
:crackup:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Barf grenade!" *runs from office to front room to pick up a retching cat off the bed and deposit her on the ground before...
:barf:

"Again?! Oh. Hairball. I approve. Bigger one next time?"
:dancingblackcat:
"Can I clean your barf first?"
:purr:
"Fine! Take a plate of the rabbit in the office while I clean the front room."

She has a very un-ladylike way of requesting a food rotation. She was looking better on rabbit than duck anyway.

She is so perky and lovey after barfing like maybe feeding her is the problem.

If the hairballs become a pattern again, we'll work the egg yolk back in the diet.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
“I’m out of rabbit. How about a duck meal?”

She cleaned that plate like she never barfed duck before.

So I gave her another serving at lunch time and she gave me another clean plate. I guess we’ll finish the can. I gave her an afternoon serving and she polished that plate too. I think we have two more servings left in this can.

Sometime on the overnight (4am feed?), we can shift back to rabbit. Maybe we can do a weekly duck can. I still like how she looks on the rabbit better but it’s nice to have a backup and it will be helpful to keep duck in her rotation. It will be nice to have a rotation again.

I’m also shifting her back to a schedule. I honestly think I was feeding her too often. So instead of “whenever you’re hungry” (which has been averaging 2 to 3 hours), we’ll be going to six feeds a day at every four hours. When I can get her individual serving sizes back up to two ounces, we can look at four feeds a day again.

She’s looking a lot better after meals and her poops are stabilizing since we’ve stopped the fish flakes. She’s disappointed but she’s rolling with it. If we can get some daylight between barfs, I just picked up Tiki Cat’s Mackerel flakes. Hopefully mackerel won’t give her trouble like tuna has been. I’d love to get fish flakes back in an occasional routine for her. Maybe not as much as before but some. I like giving her reason to explore her environment instead of merely sleeping, eating, and pooping.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We finished the duck can without incident and she's happily mowing down rabbit plates again. The schedule is something for her to get used to. She was ready to eat again two hours later a couple of times. I had to set a next-meal-at-4am alarm (yikes) because my furry alarm was running two hours fast.
:runningcat:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another three litterbox morning! I still only have two. I move just a bit more quickly than her bottom does. The carpets and walls survive another day.
:dizzycat:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*hack* *hack* *cough* *SPLORT!*

I’m indisposed when I hear this.

A minute later when I can survey the damage.

“Well, let’s see it.”

The most perfect hairball! No food! Just hair. I approve.

“If you’re going to bring them up, this is the way to do it.”

Attachments

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was worried the barfs restarted. I’d rather the hair go out the back exit. But if she is going to bring them up, just like this every time, please. One tissue, no Bissell necessary.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm. I guess that's one benefit of her barely picking over her lunch. She coughed up a bite or two. Not enough to pull out the clean kit. I caught her inspecting the stove top. I can't imagine she found anything but a nose full of non-ammonia wipe I used after cooking breakfast this morning. That would probably be enough to bring up a bite or two.

That's okay, girl. Ride it out under the bookcase, and come back to your lunch when you're up to it.

Or don't. There's plenty of food for you to skip a meal if that's what you need.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista’s appetite for the rabbit seems to have slowed down. Maybe she’s holding a grudge. We will switch to duck tonight. For now, I hide out in the bathroom while she works through her dinner portion. I’m afraid to distract her now that she’s finally started in on it.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone just polished a duck plate like she hasn’t been fed in days. Like she wasn’t just holding a grudge against rabbit half the day.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's polishing duck plates so quickly. I just want to keep feeding her. But that's now how this works. Slow and steady wins the race. Because duck is richer than rabbit, I was offering (a little) less of it to help with the transition. Maybe today we do 33 gram portions (where she was at with the rabbit.) If I can get her to 42 gram servings (maybe a month or two), I can reduce from 6 feeds to five. And if I can get her to 56 g (that's probably her maximum stomach size from prior experiences), then we can go back to four feeds. But for now, let's see if we can get two solid weeks without incident and maybe a little weight gain. Yesterday's weigh-in was stable to slightly up at 7.9 to 8.0 depending on the readings (I take two of each--me and me plus her--to establish consistency of the reading.) In other words, the actual number is still very much in the margin of error/accuracy for the scale, but the trend is stable.

She's started to lick me and blankets again. Not to the same extent but she's definitely getting more comfortable with this new mouth of hers. She's also started playing a bit more on her own. This makes me very happy. I would like to play with her. But most of the time, she looks either rough from her food or she wants to bite whatever toy we're playing with. I'm not comfortable asking her to bite more than she needs to with how uneven her "bite" is these days. I don't want to be responsible for her getting too into it, and biting through her lip or something with that one remaining canine.

I have dreams of a toothless Krista one day licking and "biting" with careless abandon.

Status
Not open for further replies.