Help with pregnant kitty

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Poor Bob. Keep him on the Purina Pro plan since that resulted in more solid poops.

My cats eat Purina One with 42 grams of protein. They are all fixed and have huge appetites, so the high protein with no fillers keeps them trim. Poops are solid. Wet food once a day. They free feed. I have 5 cats.

Changing food always upsets tummies. :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah we r back to the original as I couldn't do the whole corn stuff. I think I am going to email them about my waste of money though.

I'll just keep them doing what they r. Merlin isn't always the most active guy and moo neither although they r more lately. Mama never gets fat for some reason. She's just the fit type I guess lol.
20170630_081340.jpg
Dozer at the moment on my couch

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can donate the food to a local rescue. They would appreciate it! :)

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Didn't think of that. Will they take it even though it is open? I'll have to call some and ask. Omg I am thinking about trapping this mama cat and her kittens. They r living behind the post office shipping place and were in the middle of the road. Poor kittens can't be more than a month old. They were going out to find food I'm sure. Will a rescue take them if I get them? Hell if they pay for their medical bills they can stay for a bit I suppose. I can't afford them but I hate thinking they r out there and look like the babies have that eye stuff.
The posters me and my niece put up for screech worked too thank God. He is now home safe and sound. I figured someone had him, and I know ppl never take cats to the vet. All they had to do was get him scanned and he could have been home. Such a shame ppl don't think to take them but all that matters is he is home now.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I haven't seen the kittens or mom so maybe someone else got them. I can't stalk the post office either so I drive by and see a lot. I have taken bob to the vet in Savannah and one that lady suggested not far from me for his rash. The one that is close to me I believe will be our new vet for bob bcz he seemed to know off hand about his situation and gave him 2 shots and said if it helps bring him back in 10 days nd he will give him more. The same day I started putting triple anti biotic on his butt and between all of the things his butt has been clear since the next morning. He has had significantly less loose dripping poo, and has had more poop balls than before. So exciting! The vet didn't seem to be to fond of the idea of bob I don't think but he was supportive to the fact of keeping him as long as his quality of life was good and I was ok taking care of him. I think they r all afraid I'll get sick of caring for him and he will end up in a shelter somewhere or something. As long as he's willing to help and didn't even charge for the visit then I'm happy. Moo moo by the way is like a playful little mouse these days lol. She's so cute and I think she's finally getting to be the kitten she never was bcz she was pregnant all the time. Dozer is still a little humpy freak but he is in love with sugar the pit bull and him and ketchup the weiner dog have a strange playful situation. He's a brat but still lovable. Everyone else is still same ole same I would say, so all is well here at the moment! Whew, so glad Bob's butt is better

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope it stays this way for you all for a good while! Thank you for the update! :)

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
20170709_162639.jpg
this is for messing with my butt! (Obviously bob lol)
20170709_163239.jpg
dozer has become quite the handsome boy!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Bob is so cute! Dozer really is handsome. What a great bunch of cats! :)

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well thank u. O, should I be worried bob is only like 5 lbs still? These vets haven't said anything, but the last one didn't even weigh him. I know he's smaller than his brothers and they aren't built the same. Bob eats a lot less and slower than everyone else it seems to me. He looks healthy and he's pretty active (not nearly as much as dozer but he's just crazy). Should I be worried that he eats less like he does or do u think he is just a smaller kitty?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How old is Bob now?

As long as he seems healthy, and he eats, he's probably fine.

Maybe you could make sure he gets additional opportunities at the wet food. You leave dry down 24/7, right?

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They get dry all the time yes. I make sure he gets his own bowl for the wet since we r now giving a powder probiotic from the vet. I used to not give wet but on occasion but now it is everyday since bob needs that. I am going to get some of the probiotics from petco today and once his week of powder runs out they will all get it since my mom said it is a smelly paste. He seems healthy I would say, i just wonder if he eats enough bcz he doesn't poop a bunch it seems (then again maybe its bcz of the runny he always has too). All 3 of the other boys r quite large it seems compared to bob though. I'll see if I can get a pic of him and dozer together so u can see the difference.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They get dry all the time yes. I make sure he gets his own bowl for the wet since we r now giving a powder probiotic from the vet. I used to not give wet but on occasion but now it is everyday since bob needs that. I am going to get some of the probiotics from petco today and once his week of powder runs out they will all get it since my mom said it is a smelly paste. He seems healthy I would say, i just wonder if he eats enough bcz he doesn't poop a bunch it seems (then again maybe its bcz of the runny he always has too). All 3 of the other boys r quite large it seems compared to bob though. I'll see if I can get a pic of him and dozer together so u can see the difference.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
20170715_080025.jpg
this is bob and dozer side by side. Don't mind Merlin lol. Brother Pete is a bit bigger than dozer now even and screech is longer than all of them and taller but built much skinnier. Perhaps that's just the way he is built then?

Bob went to my mom's with me yesterday and it was quite entertaining for everyone I would say. He got to wander around outside in the back yard and explore. He was playing with one of her dogs except he tried to jump through the fence (poor bob). I think he reeally enjoyed himself since he had lots of room to run. I kept an extra close eye on him since he does look like a bunny just in case someone mistook him for one but we had no problems at all.

He hasn't had but tiny amounts of runny poop lately! I am switching his food to the extremely expensive for around here blue buffalo and hopefully that will help with better poop. He finished one of the meds they gave him yesterday. I got probiotics in a chew for when he is out of the ones from the vet as well. His butt has looked great since the morning after the shots and I am switching from the Neosporin to just diaper rash cream today (figure I'm keeping something on it 24/7 if he has a diaper on). I believe his new diapers should be here fairly soon so he will have those to wear as well.

Do u have any cheap ideas for like a cat run for outside? Or things to use for weatherproof toys? I think I want to build them an enclosure so they can have some time out. Mama kitty and dozer r always trying to run out (she got out and on my roof once last year). Maybe if I let them out they will enjoy it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Bob looks good! He's probably just built differently. I kept all 4 of my pregnant stray's kittens, and none of them have the same build or are the same size.

Google "catio enclosures" and tons of ideas will come up for outdoor options! :)

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So, we now have a new diaper baby in the house. I named her catniss and she's adorable. I was told they needed diapers for a kitten and she was supposed to be getting picked up to go to a rescue and that day they were sending her for 10 days to a foster. Well I went to see her and She was a disaster! She was covered in urine so bad that's all u could smell, she had poo matted into her rear and she was just a hot mess. Well 3 minutes after I met her I told them I would take her. They practically shoved me out the door with her and rd me call in a couple weeks and schedule her spay and then u can pay her fee. So weird! Well after talking with the lady who is with the rescue and told me about her I found out she was likely being euthanized that night and they didn't want to say. It did strike me odd that I was there at the time she should have been leaving and no one showed up for her. Either way she is now curled up on my chest while I write this. Thank God my vet does a free visit as I found out she had really really bad ear mites and they gave her dome revolution and an antibiotic for all the scabs and scratches on her neck. Poor baby. She got a booty shave and has been wearing her diaper since I sprung her. Her hind legs r not the strongest but she makes it ok typically. They randomly just slide out to the side leaving her on her butt. After speaking with the lady I couldn't be more glad that I decided to go see her. She is different than bob in her care but through learning him I pretty much have all the ideas. I'll post pics of her and bob in his new diapers as well. Thank God his old ones fit her! She needs one without the holes though as she exploded today but we r making it until hopefully someone donates her some new shells.
IMG_1500866642131.jpg
20170726_173701.jpg
20170724_210913.jpg
20170722_173500.jpg
20170721_204112.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww, she looks so sweet! Thank you for taking her.

Maybe once you get her diet settled her poop will get firmer. Is she missing her tail too?

I think it's amazing that you were there to rescue her. I can't wait to learn more about her.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She has a little knub, I think she might be a Manx cat or a mix as they didn't say they docked it. They did say they euthanized two of her siblings who were born with no rectum.. crazy. She had been having formed poo before tonight and was just walking around in it i guess. She finally exploded and is now empty and very much more settled. Her food has switched so I expected it. I use Bob's routine for her as well and really it's not hard to keep her clean and dry if u actually care for her. Her little leggies give her lots of trouble if she is laying down as she has a terrible time getting back up off the bed. Once she is though she follows me around.

The solution to Bob's butt... cortisone shot, triple antibiotic (there is more than one kind) and bag balm. All gone and looking great!
So he went and has had 2 of the shots it clears it up quick, it's the keeping it gone that is the problem. Used the triple antibiotic WITHOUT the bacatracin as it is zinc (accidentally used it after his first shot and it came back) then used it for like 3 days (in mounds). Once it was consistently gone for 2 days I got bag balm from tractor supply and has been actually even better since. Very affordable and is supposed to be safe to use (doesn't matter for them since it is covered but others might need to know). I was reluctant at first (naturally) and I haven't been so impressed. I put it on both of them every change as preventative and seems to be going well.

I found a handicapped pet site with forums and they have mounds of crazy things to offer. I am trying to start a Facebook for them as that is apparently how ppl afford to keep them and get what they need a lot of times. Other than the diaper rash and need of diapers and such my two thus far r pretty healthy as far as bug things. They say they develop stomach problems a lot though so I pray they don't. I am scared catniss will lose the loss of her hind legs eventually but as I saw with bob the longer he was alive the more mobile and steady he became. Bob still has drunk butt but I haven't seen him fall over in a long time. (He looks like he is trying to strut his stuff lol)

Catniss poops on her own if stimulated like a baby unlike bob who I have to squeeze it completely out of. I express her bladder like I do is (way easier because his is to tight and hers is to loose). I haven't found her bladder trick yet bcz she doesn't like the toilet. Going to have to invest in pads for the floor to get her to go on. Other than that I believe she is a normal little lady who apparently loves me a lot bcz she is always following me. O, did i mention it was a vets office where she was sheltered? They r supposed to spay her but their reviews day they kill them when they do, so I am looking into taking her elsewhere and just giving them proof. That and any vet who let's a kitty be in the shape she was when I got her I don't want touching my baby!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good information!

I agree, do not let that vet spay her. That is scary!

Bless her heart, she already knows that you love her. Cats pick up on these things. She clearly was not being properly cared for. She must feel so much better now being clean and dry.

Have you named her yet?

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
O yes, I named her in the car on the way home. She's kitty catniss kitterdeen lol. Or just catniss. She comes when I call her which is great cause only mama kitty really does that here (Merlin and bob do but they r selective).

I have never heard of a vet that took such terrible care of a kitty. I mean it is one thing to take care of her with loss of control, but giving her a bath in a bit of dawn and shaving her butt they could have done at least! I am staying away from them and just telling them when I call that I found somewhere else so what do i per