Help! Jaundice Cat

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear he's started eating on his own. You might also want to look into giving him KMR. It's a kitten milk replacement formula but its got a lot of vitamins and nutrients in it. Great for kitties off food or feeling sick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear he's started eating on his own. You might also want to look into giving him KMR. It's a kitten milk replacement formula but its got a lot of vitamins and nutrients in it. Great for kitties off food or feeling sick.
I just syringed him the rest of the amounted I set aside to give him today and then also gave him more suplicall (high palate gel) and some pedialyte. He is definitely well hydrated I can tell ya that.

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How many calories a day would you think would be good for shonzee? The vet said 300. He is 8.5 lbs. He was about 15lbs before this . It just seems little. I thought I should be loading him with calories and vitamins. The cans of high calorie food they gave me are 1200 per can. I feel like he should eat more than 1/4th can a day..

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure that the can says 1200 kcal per can? How much food is in a can?
Usually they are 1200 kcal/kg and if a can is 150 grams then each can is 180 kcal.

Shonzee weighs 8.5 lbs that is 3.85 kg in my world ;), so he should get at least 185 kcal a day. What your vet said is for a cat that weighs 7.65 kg, that 16.86 lbs.

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are you sure that the can says 1200 kcal per can? How much food is in a can?
Usually they are 1200 kcal/kg and if a can is 150 grams then each can is 180 kcal.

Shonzee weighs 8.5 lbs that is 3.85 kg in my world ;), so he should get at least 185 kcal a day. What your vet said is for a cat that weighs 7.65 kg, that 16.86 lbs.
Thank you for explaining this. :hearthrob::redheartpump::rock::thanks::purr::purr::lovecat2:

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Shonzee feeding and medications schedule

7am-ish

Around this time Shonzee receives his antibiotic and steroid

.38 ML of Doxycycline susp (small syringe)

1.3 ML of Predisolone (medium syringe)

I then feed him 1/4th can of Purina C/N mixed with line of Suplicall gel. He is needing to be syringe fed, the largest syringe is the easiest and it makes it easier if you add water into the mix to make it slurry.

After the syringe feeding is done I give him about 10 or so small syringes of Pedialyte to help with fluid levels.

Between 1-2pm

Shonzee is again fed 1/4th can of Purina C/N mixed with a line of Supplicall gel. Followed by Pedialyte for fluids.

6PM

Give Denamarin pill (have to shove it in his throat for him to swallow it) Followed by a medium syringe or two of water to wash it down. He has to have an empty stomach for this pill to work best and needs to have it on an empty stomach. After this pill is administered an hour waiting time must be had before he eats again.

7PM ish - Second round of medication and 1/4th food

.38 ML of Doxycycline susp (small syringe)

1.3 ML of Predisolone (medium syringe)

Feed him 1/4th can of Purina C/N mixed with line of Suplicall gel. Most likely has to be done by large syringe. A long with 10 or so “small” Syringes of pedialyte.

10 or 11PM ish ( Or a bit later if you are up at that time)

Feed him 1/4th can of Purina C/N mixed with line of Suplicall gel. Most likely has to be done by large syringe. A long with 10 or so “small” Syringes of pedialyte.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Hi there,
Late to the party as usual...just wanted to add one thing- if he's not eating- it could be from nausea. The vet can give him Cerenia and sub fluids. If you are medically knowledged you can ask that they show you how to do sub fluids at home=it's a saline solution= about 50 to 100 ml gets injected just beneath the skin-this aids in digestion and hydration. This will perk him up and help fight the infection. I am surprised they didn't do this right away.

Also pred makes them eat and drink-so that's probably why they added it- it also helps inflammation. there can be pain in the liver area when infected.

The doxy is a good med for stubborn infections. The only thing to remember-syringe water after administering the drug. Also try to give the drug after he's eaten a bit of food. Sometimes the doxy is hard on their tummies but you should start to see some improvement to the infection soon.

The Denamarin looks to be some kind of supplement to help the liver.

So call them-ask about Cerenia and sub fluids-they will know what you are talking about. they may not want to do sub fluids if he's eating- but it can't hurt at this point.

keep up the food-at this point the goal is calories-and fluids. The more fluids the better-you can't overload fluids during an infection-helps flush it out.

Hang on because we will help you through this. I have been there many times and so glad for this site for folks who helped me as well.

The other thing is they probably have that schedule of eating so not to overload the liver too fast- usually we start with a bare min for the first day or two then slowly increase amounts of food.

also sometimes they get constipated from not eating-if he's not pooping normally you can give plain canned pumpkin on your finger to see if he licks it up. pumpkin is good fiber and has vitamin C and other stuff- the average daily amount is 1/2 to 1 teaspoon. I buy Libby's and always have it in the cabinet. I mix half of can in Tupperware and add half water-mash with fork until it's pudding like=makes it easy for him to lick. my Honeybee loves canned pumpkin. Some cats like it. some hate it.

also it can be mixed into the wet food too..

I am sure I forgot something..just think of this time period as being a cat nurse...that's pretty much what we are aren't we?

Your baby is beautiful!

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there,
Late to the party as usual...just wanted to add one thing- if he's not eating- it could be from nausea. The vet can give him Cerenia and sub fluids. If you are medically knowledged you can ask that they show you how to do sub fluids at home=it's a saline solution= about 50 to 100 ml gets injected just beneath the skin-this aids in digestion and hydration. This will perk him up and help fight the infection. I am surprised they didn't do this right away.

Also pred makes them eat and drink-so that's probably why they added it- it also helps inflammation. there can be pain in the liver area when infected.

The doxy is a good med for stubborn infections. The only thing to remember-syringe water after administering the drug. Also try to give the drug after he's eaten a bit of food. Sometimes the doxy is hard on their tummies but you should start to see some improvement to the infection soon.

So call them-ask about Cerenia and sub fluids-they will know what you are talking about. they may not want to do sub fluids if he's eating- but it can't hurt at this point.

keep up the food-at this point the goal is calories-and fluids. The more fluids the better-you can't overload fluids during an infection-helps flush it out.

Hang on because we will help you through this. I have been there many times and so glad for this site for folks who helped me as well.

The other thing is they probably have that schedule of eating so not to overload the liver too fast- usually we start with a bare min for the first day or two then slowly increase amounts of food.

also sometimes they get constipated from not eating-if he's not pooping normally you can give plain canned pumpkin on your finger to see if he licks it up. pumpkin is good fiber and has vitamin C and other stuff- the average daily amount is 1/2 to 1 teaspoon. I buy Libby's and always have it in the cabinet. I mix half of can in Tupperware and add half water-mash with fork until it's pudding like=makes it easy for him to lick. my Honeybee loves canned pumpkin. Some cats like it. some hate it.

I am sure I forgot something..just think of this time period as being a cat nurse...that's pretty much what we are aren't we?

Your baby is beautiful!
Thank you, I love him to death. Yours is too!
I know ive given him enough fluids so far today for him to urinate twice, I am not sure if he has defecated.
He only had 1/4th of a can yesterday, today I think around 3/4th. Maybe I will not give him anymore tonight.

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

Your baby is beautiful!
As far as I can see, he isnt suffering from nausea. He hasnt thrown up at all since this started.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
As far as I can see, he isnt suffering from nausea. He hasnt thrown up at all since this started.
When a cat has nausea it doesn't always mean throwing up. Sometimes they sniff food and walk away.
Stare at dish.
Lip smacking are all signs of nausea. Some cats onlyeat a few bites and don't eat their usual amount at once...when my girl gets ill she will only eat treats and only when I cajol her to try it. Then she runs off almost like smell is making her ill.

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im still worried, I dont know what the "hump" of this illness is, or when we will be over it.

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I love him to death. Yours is too!
I know ive given him enough fluids so far today for him to urinate twice, I am not sure if he has defecated.
He only had 1/4th of a can yesterday, today I think around 3/4th. Maybe I will not give him anymore tonight.
Yours ** are too =]

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding him in 4 hour increments .

He has had a decent amount of actual food today and I feel like it's made him worse. He hasn't been purring, moving or meowing much this afternoon/evening/night. He did use the scratchpad twice though, however that was after I had already filed down his claws. They kept getting stuck to everything