Help! Jaundice Cat

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give Denamarin pill (have to shove it in his throat for him to swallow it) Followed by a medium syringe or two of water to wash it down. He has to have an empty stomach for this pill to work best and needs to have it on an empty stomach. After this pill is administered an hour waiting time must be had before he eats again.
I guess these instructions were given to you by your vet.
I didn't know that Denamarin has to be administered with an empty stomach.
I am using a pill similar to Denamarin, actually it should be more similar to Denosyl (which, according to what I have read, has a better action than Denamarin), but I give it to my cat after she has eaten something and the label does not say anything about this.

If the pill is too big, you could split it? Or is this one of those pills that cannot be broken or crushed or cut?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess these instructions were given to you by your vet.
I didn't know that Denamarin has to be administered with an empty stomach.
I am using a pill similar to Denamarin, actually it should be more similar to Denosyl (which, according to what I have read, has a better action than Denamarin), but I give it to my cat after she has eaten something and the label does not say anything about this.

If the pill is too big, you could split it? Or is this one of those pills that cannot be broken or crushed or cut?
I made these instructions as far as the feeding schedule. It's rigorous but I can not afford a feeding tube. Sadly for the first time in 7 years I'm between jobs, it limits my cash flow but I also have all the time to help my baby.
Of course the medication amounts and special instructions were administered by the vet.
Not so much the feeding . Everything I'm doing was based on hours of research and you fellas helping me here. The vet didn't give me many instructions on what to do. Just what he needs to sustain and I'm doing everything in my power to make sure that happens.

Like not sleep, which I have to be up in 3 hrs to feed him a bit and give medicine, Shonzee is purring away in my lap. I can sleep now.

0700 hours will be here soon. Goodnight!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Thank you for trying.

Let me find that video I use for pilling-I use a pill gun and syringe of water...the cat I have is the easiest to pill. She doesn't fight me...the last cat was not letting anyone near her mouth-we had to do everything as injection.
ok let me find the video..

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for trying.

Let me find that video I use for pilling-I use a pill gun and syringe of water...the cat I have is the easiest to pill. She doesn't fight me...the last cat was not letting anyone near her mouth-we had to do everything as injection.
ok let me find the video..

Shonzee doesn't fight me! He is the best cat ever. He will grit his teeth but eventually Will let me in, that's it! And either I'm really good at pilling or again he's just awesome but I have no issues!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Shonzee doesn't fight me! He is the best cat ever. He will grit his teeth but eventually Will let me in, that's it! And either I'm really good at pilling or again he's just awesome but I have no issues!
yeah that's how it is with my pumpkin face. she doesn't like it- I put my left index finger in the crease of her left side mouth-she's facing me-on her scratching post tree-looks like a miniature tree=it is perfect pilling height- I put my finger into side of mouth and make her open then gently grab her top jaw and bend my wrist back-mouth falls open although she doesn't like it-tongue pushing against mouth repeatedly. on the 3rd tongue movement I use the pill popper and put butter on the end that sticks out-slides right down. she gets 3 pills every morning. dasquin is two then pred I put inside dasquin then her gabapentin for pain-I dont' think it's working-but I figured we would try it.

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yeah that's how it is with my pumpkin face. she doesn't like it- I put my left index finger in the crease of her left side mouth-she's facing me-on her scratching post tree-looks like a miniature tree=it is perfect pilling height- I put my finger into side of mouth and make her open then gently grab her top jaw and bend my wrist back-mouth falls open although she doesn't like it-tongue pushing against mouth repeatedly. on the 3rd tongue movement I use the pill popper and put butter on the end that sticks out-slides right down. she gets 3 pills every morning. dasquin is two then pred I put inside dasquin then her gabapentin for pain-I dont' think it's working-but I figured we would try it.
They make prednisone in liquid form. It's not tasty to cats but it may be easier. I also stuck soft plastic tubing on the end of the syringe so I can hit Shonzees gag reflex which causes him to swallow right away.

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a difference a day can make. My fiance woke up to him on the top tier of our 5ft cat tree, he's meowing like his crazy self again. I know he isn't all better but the improvement makes me feel so much more confident in how he's doing and that what I'm doing is making a difference.

Attachments

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have WONDERFUL NEWS. HE IS EATING DRY FOOD AGAIN. ( fussy cat chicken and salmon) ON - HIS - OWN. I had to take it away for now, cause he needs his liver pill soon but I AM SO HAPPY. It makes me so much better knowing he isnt eating enough. Im still going to make sure he is eating the high calorie cat food, and supplicall with the fluids but I feel so much better.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have WONDERFUL NEWS. HE IS EATING DRY FOOD AGAIN. ( fussy cat chicken and salmon) ON - HIS - OWN. I had to take it away for now, cause he needs his liver pill soon but I AM SO HAPPY. It makes me so much better knowing he isnt eating enough. Im still going to make sure he is eating the high calorie cat food, and supplicall with the fluids but I feel so much better.
That is a very good sign for sure.

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Quick sorta update,

Ty to my beloved neighbor, Shonzee was well watched as I was away. He definitely has his appetite back and has gained enough weight to where his bones aren't sticking out anymore.

When I had gone back to the vet last Monday he gave me another round of Doxycycline and advised to continue the predisone.

He is still getting his high calorie wet food one can per day.

We go back to the vet tomorrow for a well check.

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Shonzee had another appointment Tuesday for a check up. We did a liver panel and since he had an accident in the carrier, a fecal sample.

He has gained back 2.5 lbs. Over all he has had significant improvement.

Fecal came back clean as I expected however some of the liver values are still a bit elevated. Im not sure if that's normal and takes a bit to get back to normal or if its worrisome.

Doctor said to just make sure he keeps an appetite and he will check back in 3 weeks.

We are done with the Doxycycline and have decreased the Predisolone to once a day instead of twice. He is still taking his denamarin pill and we are continuing that until the box is gone.

Hopefully someone can weigh in on how long liver values normally take to even out after being as sick as he was.