Help! Jaundice Cat

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Help!

YES Ive taken him to the vet, yes he has had blood work done. We are awaiting the results.

My cat is severely jaundice.

Right now he has had a fluid shot, an appetite enhancer and a anti nasuesa shot.

He isn't "eating" but he is licking juices of food.

He got vitamin gel from the vet today, he doesn't like it, I got a little bit in his mouth and he gagged. ( I could only imagine) but its a high calorie gel.

I have to wait until tomorrow or Wednesday to get his results.

Is there anything I can do to help him further?

My heart is absolutely broken. I dont know what else to do and Im going insane.

He has lost almost 6 lbs, and has been hiding a lot. He is still very friendly and mews and purrs as normal. I took him in initially thinking he was depressed and came to find out he is severely ill. Pretty sure he is part main coon and right now is down to 8 lbs from about 15 or so.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Will he lick food off your fingers? Can you do a cheekpouch injection of food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He was "licking food" from plates and what not earlier, but it seems his appetite enhancer wore off and now he wont eat at all again.

What is a cheek pouch injection?

Off to google I go.

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Will he lick food off your fingers? Can you do a cheekpouch injection of food?
He was "licking food" from plates and what not earlier, but it seems his appetite enhancer wore off and now he wont eat at all again.

What is a cheek pouch injection?

Off to google I go.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Many of us will syringe a high calorie soft food in the kitties mouth of they aren't eating.

You could call the vet and ask what they recommend. I'm not sure what food to avoid with jaundice.

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Many of us will syringe a high calorie soft food in the kitties mouth of they aren't eating.

You could call the vet and ask what they recommend. I'm not sure what food to avoid with jaundice.
The vet told me to get him to eat whatever he will eat, and left it at that. I was told from another vet tech to NOT feed him Ham, my vet said nothing about it when I told him thats what he would eat. I was also told science diet a/d soft food, however its a bit too late now to find an open place.

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet told me to get him to eat whatever he will eat, and left it at that. I was told from another vet tech to NOT feed him Ham, my vet said nothing about it when I told him thats what he would eat. I was also told science diet a/d soft food, however its a bit too late now to find an open place.
He's been to the vet TWICE today. =[ We're running all of the bloodwork, Im just scared he wont sustain without eating SOMETHING.

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Is the syringe the only or best option?

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Let me rephrase, is the the best option?

Is that the only option?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The syringe is for when they won't eat by any other method.Try Pedialyte there's a home made recipe for it, hard boiled egg both white and yolk, non onion/non garlic baby food if you have some, sardines, you're looking to avoid saltiness/sodium and also menadione in cat food.

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The syringe is for when they won't eat by any other method.Try Pedialyte there's a home made recipe for it, hard boiled egg both white and yolk, non onion/non garlic baby food if you have some, sardines, you're looking to avoid saltiness/sodium and also menadione in cat food.
Thank you for the replies. I really appreciate it, Im so worried.

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you think there is a good chance he will be okay overnight?
FB_IMG_1516072557723.jpg
FB_IMG_1516072578568.jpg

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a sweetie!! I'm hoping so, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!!
He is such a sweetheart, so kind and loving too. He loves everyone.

Thanks I really appreciate it, I just found this forum website, Im sure I will be on here lots more.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As long as you can get him to consume something, anything (even the ham if you rinse it off) you're going to be ahead of the game. It might be that the syringe method ends up being your friend until you can get him past this.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hills Science diet has a soft food I think called a/d. It's very stinky and high in calories to get them to eat again. It's something only your vet would sell. Ask the vet on this one.

What a sweet kitty. Hoping better in the morning. :alright::vibes::vibes:

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A/D is something I fed to a cat who had hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver). And then more recently, a cat that was off food because of a bad reaction to the thyroid medication and some antibiotics. The goal is big---getting a 1/2 can of food into them. See if the vet has a larger opening syringe for food. With the food you have on hand, mix it into a slurry and then syringe in a bit of food into his cheek. After each swallow do it again. It takes a long time but after a few meals he may be willing to eat on his own.

Tomorrow get the A/D. It's very smooth and moist but you'll still have to mix it with water to syringe it. I have heated the mix for 15 seconds in the microwave so it's not cold.

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As long as you can get him to consume something, anything (even the ham if you rinse it off) you're going to be ahead of the game. It might be that the syringe method ends up being your friend until you can get him past this.
What I just did was gave him about 600 calories worth of this [supplical], I rubbed it on his gums cause it doesn't taste the best.

To keep him hydrated I've
20180115_231402.jpg
been watering down Tuna and giving him watery tuna cause he will drink it. At least a bit, and every few minutes I will go back and put the bowl in front of him again. That causes him to take a few more sips.