First Time Trying To Tame A Feral/stray

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
could your mom just be the one to give her treats and not play with the wand toy
put the wand toy away when mom comes over?
just soft toys for mom!! hee hee
hey that's an idea, special toys for mom only, maybe Silo will like that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've bought several sets of nail clippers but I've found just plain old human fingernail clippers work the best. She just has to be in her 'melted butter state'.
God bless you!! You must have the magic melting touch! I would be petrified. I tried that once with my prior house cat who was born melted and he wasn't a fan...can't imagine with a stray or feral..

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
God bless you!! You must have the magic melting touch! I would be petrified. I tried that once with my prior house cat who was born melted and he wasn't a fan...can't imagine with a stray or feral..
:blush: Thank you, I've always had a 'magic touch' with little kids & animals..it's people I have problems with... You can see an example if the melted butter state in the ' paws and claws' thread. She gets shoulders, feeties & hip massages until she melts. Still, sometimes it's only one or two nails at a time. Beware of the flying clipped points going in eyes or ears. :bliss:

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How did it go with Grandma? Does she have any pets of her own? I think she's a secret cat lover. She just can't seem to stay away from Silo. :D
Well...I came home yesterday from work late and the hubs and kids were all gaga about what Silo did! It seems that all was well with Gma because he was out and about and the booger came up to sleep in our bed. I tried so hard to keep awake to see what he does but the sand man got me! Damn him! Funny you should ask...she has a cat and dog. Don't analyze....been there, done that and still doing it. But whatever I said to her the following time may have clicked. Today Silo was unbelievable! He left the first floor to nap on our bed but first tried out our sons bed and then perhaps our daughters because her hat was on the floor and the bed was "pressed" on....perhaps I should've named him Goldilocks? Ha. He played like I haven't seen before and would rest upstairs on our bed....now for whichever quirk, he is in the basement on the window recuperating from the day....gave me the opportunity to pet him because he doesn't come close or trust enough when he is out and about. Still hisses at me like I will eat him, but it's much more comfy...actually showing more bullying towards my poor dog which I'm not a fan of. Have to think of a plan to curb that... I think you are pretty awesome to try that endeavor with the bag....so it's been 13 days? They should give more detailed instructions on those boxes for "If handling a feral or stray, simply add on a eternity to the recommended time of dosage". ❤

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
could your mom just be the one to give her treats and not play with the wand toy
put the wand toy away when mom comes over?
just soft toys for mom!! hee hee
hey that's an idea, special toys for mom only, maybe Silo will like that.
Thanks. If it were only that simple. If she gave a treat, an ooh special one only for her she would take the arm with it. Then it would be her special moment in which only she taught him certain special things...(when my 4 year old daughter talks about the crusades and the war of 1242....it's because Gma taught....even though it was me)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha, Silo does sound like Goldilocks, trying out all the beds. That's amazing progress...Yeah, I marked it on my calendar so I'll have to do it, Frontline on April 1, and Drontal with the pill gun on April 7. The few times I got somebody to hold them for me, they would scream "Hurry up, hurry up, you're taking too long!" Which of course sends my anxiety through the roof as I'm trying to get the Frontline in the exact right spot. If they will sit in the cat bag, I can be more calm about everything.

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ha, Silo does sound like Goldilocks, trying out all the beds. That's amazing progress...Yeah, I marked it on my calendar so I'll have to do it, Frontline on April 1, and Drontal with the pill gun on April 7. The few times I got somebody to hold them for me, they would scream "Hurry up, hurry up, you're taking too long!" Which of course sends my anxiety through the roof as I'm trying to get the Frontline in the exact right spot. If they will sit in the cat bag, I can be more calm about everything.
I feel your pain...people have that special gift to frank us out more! You just need to clone yourself dear...poof, one and done! :insertevillaugh:❤

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh he is! I wouldn't mind the hissing business but he started staring him down and walking towards him with the "Bring it Bro!" look...
I'm having the same problem with Misfit going on the offensive, attempting to corner and attack my Corgi, while he does everything within his power to ignore her and give her a wide berth. :( I do not leave them unsupervised.

Hoping that Misfit will chill out over time and realize that "this dog is not a threat to me" with Charlie the same way she realized that "this human is not a threat to me" with me.

Now. If only I could teach Charlie to hand-feed her some tasty treats. :paperbag:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should ask my brother how he got all his dogs and cats to get along so well. He has 4 dogs and 3 cats! I know he does have a lot of places where the cats can get up high when they want to.

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm having the same problem with Misfit going on the offensive, attempting to corner and attack my Corgi, while he does everything within his power to ignore her and give her a wide berth. :( I do not leave them unsupervised.

Hoping that Misfit will chill out over time and realize that "this dog is not a threat to me" with Charlie the same way she realized that "this human is not a threat to me" with me.

Now. If only I could teach Charlie to hand-feed her some tasty treats. :paperbag:
Sounds like we are in the same boat! My doggie, Alvin...is so kind. He saw him sleeping up on the couch and even after Silo jumped off he wouldn't dare invade the space even the evening time is the only time we allow our dog to relax with us after the kids go to sleep. I started saying no to Silo when he gets too fresh and all he does is stare and blink at me. I'm hoping, like you that he will grow to trust the huge animal...Alvin is a brindle plotthound....but a loving mutt at heart.

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I should ask my brother how he got all his dogs and cats to get along so well. He has 4 dogs and 3 cats! I know he does have a lot of places where the cats can get up high when they want to.
That would be great...when you have a moment. Would love to hear about his technique. I didn't buy a cat tree but there (I think) plenty of places for him to feel comfy. (Rooms, stairs, High and low furniture, windows galore and 3 floors of house)....but maybe, who knows...that might be the finishing touch for his comfort.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I wish I had a solution for both of us, (and for Alvin's and Charlie's sakes). I did have to teach Charlie not to lunge at and chase after Misfit, but that only took two weeks for him to understand to leave her alone.

I have no idea how to train a feral cat to leave the other pets alone. We'll just have to hope that time will solve the issue.

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What an incredible weekend! Silo has been everywhere and anytime I turned my head! He sat in the kitchen and watched me prepare and cook dinner tonight..so darn tempting to pet him when he is sleeping in all sorts of spots...but I won't, but darn, so tempting!!!:runaround:He played in the open by himself with his mouse while my kids were playing rambunctiously on the floor(caught a tiny video, hope it shows). All in all, I'm on :cloud9:. I was out on the front porch and he ventured out...I was really nervous that the fresh air smells may turn him wildish again as with the open window a while ago but nope, hung out on the windows, meowed and walked in to go have a bite to eat. Today is the end of month 2, and I have no idea how we got here...I mean, I know...but actually I don't. Thank you kind souls yet again!

Attachments

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just adding a thought......after my 2 beautiful cats (Charlie and Chloe-brother and sister) left us 4 years ago, I said I would never get another cat. But this cat, this feral stray nomad is filling a void without him or I even knowing....❤

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh, I know that sentiment. I lost Tangent's brother, Cosine, suddenly in Sept 2016, so I was down to one cat. I really had myself convinced that "One cat and one dog is good." When Farrell got trapped in our warehouse in Jan 2017 and I picked her up from TNR, she seemed calm enough to tame and then find her a home. Little did I realize that the home would be my home. She made me laugh every single day...I didn't realize that I had stopped laughing until then. It's wonderful, isn't it?

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh, I know that sentiment. I lost Tangent's brother, Cosine, suddenly in Sept 2016, so I was down to one cat. I really had myself convinced that "One cat and one dog is good." When Farrell got trapped in our warehouse in Jan 2017 and I picked her up from TNR, she seemed calm enough to tame and then find her a home. Little did I realize that the home would be my home. She made me laugh every single day...I didn't realize that I had stopped laughing until then. It's wonderful, isn't it?
❤....in a nutshell luv, in a nutshell...❤