First Time Trying To Tame A Feral/stray

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Silo really does have that "I'm sorry" look, doesn't he. And he really is a gorgeous cat.

About the red "pizza" on the table, I didn't notice it till you mentioned it, then I had to go take a look. Yummy. :lol:
Thank you Ruby...he is an interesting cat..face looks cute but I have yet to really capture his body. On his gray coat, he has these even circles, pretty wild looking. When he was outside I initially thought he stuck in some white paint to make those markings.....on a different thread someone indicated that he is a classic marbled tabby (not sure exactly what that means), but hey...I love the UFO crop marks. He has been mellow today...still. I was informed by my kids after work that he hissed at Alvin only 2 times....progress. Perhaps it will take much longer for him to realize he can share the territory without being eaten...❤

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is that Silo in your avatar? I think I can see the markings you are talking about, that is unusual. Orange told me that my boy cat Demi has a "harlequin" pattern. Doesn't that sound fancy? He's white with orange circles/splotches instead of stripes. I call him a ginger & white tabby.

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all! So sorry for the disappearing act...but perhaps it's just me, the time has been speeding by! All is well in Silo's world (I think)... he has been a regular nearly everywhere. Comes, goes, hangs out and recently has been indiscreetly cleaning/grooming himself whenever and however he pleases. Kids laugh a lot at when as his leg darts up and he does his thing :doh:. He really enjoys the kids and I'm starting to realize it may be because of their high pitched voices...read somewhere that they respond to babylike talk? He still bullies the dog but the whole family is aware and put a stop to it when we see it.....will probably take much longer to trust the dog than us. Maggie, any info from your Brother regarding insight about feral/dog acclimation? Well I'm adding a picture of millimeter/military progress...hope you all are fending well. ❤

Attachments

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! So glad to hear from you again. I was getting worried that maybe Silo ate the kids or something. :D That's wonderful that he loves the kids so much. But now that I think about it, my childhood cats loved us kids best too, because we were the ones that paid the most attention to them. Except my youngest brother who used to chase them and hurl them up onto the roof. :eek2: Now he has 4 dogs, 3 cats, and chickens! Yes, I'm going to ask him tonight for some tips for you to get the cat/dog to like each other. But judging from the picture you posted, they are laying pretty close together. Isn't that progress?

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy Silo is settling in so well. Sorry about him bullying your dog. Hopefully that will end soon. :crossfingers:
Thanks for the vote of confidence...some days it looks like he really wants to check him out and nuzzle and other days, out of the blue...my dog gets slapped for sleeping....:dunno:

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This new guy in this thread has cats and dogs that love each other. I asked him how he did it and he said he gave them treats near each other. Here's the link:
Newer Found Love For Cats And Hi From Pa
It definitely is progress, I agree...but kind of like a French Guyana prison and my dog is Papillon...I will check out that article later when the kids are asleep...schools out for the week and time is measured...ah, what the heck am I saying????....there is no measurement when there are tornados in the house....o_O

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to google Papillon. I think I saw that Steve McQueen movie. :D Maybe try the treat thing, so they associate each other with something good. You could also teach Silo the dog's name and talk in an excited voice. I did that with Maggie & Demi, "Let's go see your boyfriend, let's go see your girlfriend." I wish I had taught them each other's names instead of boyfriend and girlfriend though. It sounds a little silly now. :)

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi gang! I'm sorry for not posting sooner, life has a way of piling things up. But rest assured, Silo is awesome!!! Where do I begin? He is a fiend of ham, will do anything anywhere if he can get a taste. He is hilarious in his play and has actually learned to "roll over" when we've been saying "good roll" when he's trying to be cute (probably looking for ham?)...He follows me EVERYWHERE and even scratches at the door if I close it. He has been settling into the madness of our day with the kids and truly does look at us as though we are crazy while he is calm and collected...o_O. The truly remarkable thing that has recently happened is that he started meowing at me...and weirdly enough it sounds as though one of my children is calling me...a long, drawn out "meeoowM" sound which sounds like "mom". My husband pointed it out one night and it truly freaked me out because it sounded like one of my kids. I've only heard him yowling in the basement but this is new. He lets me pet him and is learning how to nuzzle towards my hand but is not confident of his actions. He wakes me up in morning for his breakfast, waits withs with us till we are all dressed and ready to come downstairs and then just eats and rolls and then follows. It's beautiful!! And I can't keep myself from saying how amazed I am at him. He still bosses the dog but is a centimeter more respectful....and of us when we tell him no. It's officially 3 months tomorrow since his release into his space and I can't even fathom where he will be in another 3?! But of course there are bumps...still can't pick him up and put him in a carrier to bring him to my vet so I diagnose in secret. His ears and nose have been warm for a few days now, eating, drinking and using the litter just fine, no lethargy (lord knows that cat can play at whim) noticed some sneezing lately, not gaining too much weight...maybe dropped since coming in? Any ideas gang? Also, will try to upload a long video, ( although I haven't been too good with that) and I'm so sorry for the exponential thread...❤

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the update. And the pictures. Hopefully his sneezing goes away. :crossfingers:

About the scratching thingie Silo is laying on, does he ever scratch it? I've thought of getting one like that for my Ruby girl, but wasn't sure she'd use it.

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update. And the pictures. Hopefully his sneezing goes away. :crossfingers:

About the scratching thingie Silo is laying on, does he ever scratch it? I've thought of getting one like that for my Ruby girl, but wasn't sure she'd use it.
Thanks Ruby, I hope so too! As for the scratch post...he uses it sporadically for that, mostly rubs his body and face in it and plays on it. We've discovered he's a fan of cardboard boxes for scratching so we have 2 stacked in the basement and they are nearly in shreds.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, we missed you. Great update and pics. You've really made progress with Silo. I need to send Maggie over to your house for some training. I love that he calls you Meowm. Maybe he heard the kids calling you Mom and is trying to copy them. For the carrier, I just leave it out all the time and when I want them to get in it, I talk in an excited voice like we are going somewhere fun, "Hurry get in your cage". Antibiotics might help if it doesn't clear up.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks Ruby, I hope so too! As for the scratch post...he uses it sporadically for that, mostly rubs his body and face in it and plays on it. We've discovered he's a fan of cardboard boxes for scratching so we have 2 stacked in the basement and they are nearly in shreds.
I may get a similar scratch post for Ruby. She might like it. :crossfingers:

Since Silo likes scratching cardboard boxes, he might also like the cardboard scratchers you can buy. Or, of course, you could just continue to provide him with cardboard boxes. :wink: