First Time Trying To Tame A Feral/stray

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I may get a similar scratch post for Ruby. She might like it. :crossfingers:

Since Silo likes scratching cardboard boxes, he might also like the cardboard scratchers you can buy. Or, of course, you could just continue to provide him with cardboard boxes. :wink:
It's boxes all the way Ruby...my husband can get them at will. Last year my basement was a concoction of cardboard mazes that my kids could crawl through....thank the lord that's gone...you couldn't move down there

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention, Maggie goes crazy for ham too. Another reason why I should send her over to your house. :D
You're hysterical Jen!! I'll take Maggie, you take my son...let's see how that goes? I don't know what it is about ham but damn...he'll go anywhere for that. Is Maggie like that? Also was preparing a steak for my husband yesterday and BOOM! Out of nowhere, there was Silo sitting on the countertop with cute but wild eyes saying "chic, move or I'll slice ya!"...:anticipation:

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, we missed you. Great update and pics. You've really made progress with Silo. I need to send Maggie over to your house for some training. I love that he calls you Meowm. Maybe he heard the kids calling you Mom and is trying to copy them. For the carrier, I just leave it out all the time and when I want them to get in it, I talk in an excited voice like we are going somewhere fun, "Hurry get in your cage". Antibiotics might help if it doesn't clear up.
Your cats seem so willing....I think it might take longer for mine. I don't think the happy voice will do it for me...and honestly, I'ved tried. He just looks at me and the. Shows me his tail as he walks away...keeps reminding me of that saying.."You're a somebody until you've been ignored by a cat"...he's stopped sneezing, nose is cold but ears are still warm...he appears normal so perhaps I'm getting too "Meowmy"....

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a deal. But I think you'd send Maggie back return to sender within the day. I haven't really tried to make her do anything for ham, I just give it to her. But she can smell it from the other side of the house and she comes running. I'm going to have to start working with her though, she can't scratch people for the rest of her life. Maybe ham is the key.

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's a deal. But I think you'd send Maggie back return to sender within the day. I haven't really tried to make her do anything for ham, I just give it to her. But she can smell it from the other side of the house and she comes running. I'm going to have to start working with her though, she can't scratch people for the rest of her life. Maybe ham is the key.
Lordy, it would be a close call....both loveable to boot but devilish on the sides..truce.....as for the ham, go for it! Try as many ideas as you can from withholding to tricks to getting as close to petting as you can....I'm posting a pic of Silo (can't figure out videos) after ham and listening to the words of "go up, up,up"....

Attachments

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha, look at Silo doing tricks for ham! Yeah, I can pet Maggie while feeding her treats out of my hand. But when the treats are gone, she licks my hand, looks around for more, then either runs away or smacks me.

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update time: alright gang...he is settling in, next month we start 4 months and at this pace can't imagine what a year will look like! The big weird news is what's happening between him and our dog. So Silo has been sleeping closer to the dog, both have been giving each other nose kisses, the dog sniffs and nuzzles his ears and Silo attempts to rub his head against him and then in weird Twilight Zone moment, Silo slaps the silly out of the dog....go figure!? The sneezing has stopped and there are no boogies...but his head is warm occasionally. I can now pet him fully all the way to the tip of the tail as he arches his body....seems like he still can't figure out how to really rub up against the leg..but is trying. My heart is a little nervous because we do our hiking trip at the end of May and he will be alone for about 5/6 days, without the dog too...my Mom has gotten better after multiple talks and quasi arguments ( thank heavens) so she will check on him and play with him...but truth be told, he has become so dependent on me, knows my work schedule (goes down in basement and won't come out till I get home)...that my heart is pounding now...but we will go away, we cancelled our prior trip, but not this one, it will happen...just hope he fares well and doesn't think we've abandoned him....

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. That's a pleasant surprise about Silo and the dog giving nose kisses and napping by each other!:) Are Silo's claws in or out when he slaps him? Hopefully he is just setting boundaries, not being mean. That's great about your mom, hopefully she will do a good job with Silo when you are gone on vacation. Something tells me she is going to enjoy this time alone with him! :lol:

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IMG_2206.JPG
I just couldn't resist this one....and PS to you all, I hope you all are doing great! Sorry I've been non existent, but things have been good so far...but believe me when I say that I think of and remember all the advice I have been given...❤

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Best picture ever! So tell us the story behind this picture. Did the cat whisperer work his magic?
I don't know what's happening anymore! But am loving every minute. My son remains obsessed with Silo and the kitty is quite the protector of them. God forbid I play silly with them and the kids squeal...the cat is all over them sniffing them. It's beautiful actually...but honestly I don't have the fainted clue of what they do or how this cat became so magical.....

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, missed ya! You can still come around you know, even if the problem is solved. :) Is that a picture of Silo hugging the dog's tail? That is insane. I can't believe it! Your son is magical, he needs to come work his magic on Maggie or give me advice. I would like her to hug me like that. :D

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, missed ya! You can still come around you know, even if the problem is solved. :) Is that a picture of Silo hugging the dog's tail? That is insane. I can't believe it! Your son is magical, he needs to come work his magic on Maggie or give me advice. I would like her to hug me like that. :D
Hi!! I added an extra day of work, now at 4 days and it appears that time slips through my fingers and then I'm brain dead for the night...by the time I remember to catch up, it's a new day and the rigmarole starts all over again. And yes!! That is a tail hug...I was a snapping fool that moment..I might add another just becaus it's so darn cute. But whether it is my son or the moon or stars, I'm happy. Silo still has his wacky moments but truth be told, I like them..it reminds me of what we've been through and where he came from...if I could send him over your way, I would..just so Maggie could cuddle up and snuggle up. As an odd sense de note, my husband woke up last night to Silo suckling in his toes....ha! But ewww...glad it was him...I will try my darndest to check in more often...

Attachments

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did he suck on your husband's bare toes or the blanket covering them? Demi sucks on my blanket every morning at 3am. Great pics, that is so amazing. I'm glad that Silo has a friend to nap with. I bet the dog is so happy to have a friend too. :redheartpump: