First Time Trying To Tame A Feral/stray

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww, little Goldilocks Silo is trying out all the chairs/couches now. :redheartpump: He looks so content and happy. What a good boy. When he went out on the porch, he didn't try to run away? Or is the porch screened in?
You mean bully Goldilocks! Whew, that cat...little does he know what my dog could do! Silo has been pushing the limits, even sitting 7 inches away from Alvin while the dog ate and the dog didn't even wince or growl. The porch is enclosed a 3 season porch. Last night was comical. Silo came upstairs with us at bedtime and blocked my husband in at the bathroom. My poor macho husband just stood there waiting and pondering:flail:. We went to bed after my husband decided it was his house. We called after for Silo to come up and he sure did..those long claws click clacked on the floor and jumped up on my husbands belly. That didn't last long...he jumped down and was gone. Today, he was a mover and a shaker. But darn, my poor dog. Besides Goldilocks I may consider FloRida because of the "my house" song......just not with all the innuendos...

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok..not sure what to do. When Silo was outside I had noticed his right eye to be squinty at times. Yesterday and today, the squint is back. Some moments it's completely shut. There is no significant discharge other than basic eye boogies. I can't bring him to the vet yet because he will NOT tolerate a trap and vetting....not yet. I can touch the eye, massage it so I'm wondering if there is anything I can put on it? I had thought it was a battle wound previously but since it's been 2 months, it must be something else. Any ideas?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He went to the vet once already, right? Has he ever been on an antibiotic? Amoxicillin worked for Demi's black eye boogers. I don't know what he had, but they are gone...When Silo was sitting 7 inches from your dog while he was eating, was he hissing or being mean?

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He went to the vet once already, right? Has he ever been on an antibiotic? Amoxicillin worked for Demi's black eye boogers. I don't know what he had, but they are gone...When Silo was sitting 7 inches from your dog while he was eating, was he hissing or being mean?
No he has never been to the vet. I trapped him and brought him to a TNR clinic where he got fixed and vaccinated. I'm waiting till he mellows down some before I try to take him in. Silo was calm, just sat and watched and slowly walked around him to pass....

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's funny, Demi was on an antibiotic for his UTI called Orbax, but that did not cure his eye boogers. But a different antibiotic, Amoxicillin did. So different antibiotics must do different things I guess.

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Isn't that progress with the dog then, if Silo wasn't mean to him and just sat there?
Yes that would be progress....but you should see him today...it's like the Calvary charging for battle each time the dog moves in his bed or attempts to walk somewhere.....I said no! And shook my finger then Rambo walked up to me and just sniffed my finger and continued being a bully...:sigh:

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh boy, tension....our poor dog only got up off his bed to go out (actually scampered) because Silo was a bully and to eat dinner. Silo has made his new home under our dining room table which is in view of Alvins bed in the between room. Dog barely left his bed or would just get up and lie back down because Silo hissed and approached him. Well...it all climaxed a few minutes ago..my husband called our dog over to the living room and Silo, like a bat out of hell, jumped from under the table, hissed and scared our dog back to his bed. Well, needless to say, my husband did not like that...he hooted and hollered at Silo and Silo ran downstairs to the basment (feel my pain)....emotions are up, all of ours...we all love Silo, but even the kids are starting to feel bad for our dog...he's almost 12 and the sweetest thing you could ever find. He's never once growled or lunged or chased him. Feeling pretty awful...heart torn.....

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no. I'm sorry that happened. Maybe Silo is scared of the dog. You know how feral cats are, when they're scared of something they act all tough and mean. Could you somehow feed him treats or catnip near the dog, so he will associate the dog with good things? Like every time he is calm near the dog he gets a treat? Please don't give up. :redheartpump:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm having similar problems with Maggie. But she's mean to people, not dogs. I'll never give up on her, she's a part of the family. But sooner or later, she has to learn not to knife people.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread dropped off my notifications again.

I do feel your pain. Misfit continues to stalk and swat at Charlie. He'll be 11 years old in a few more months and I feel awful when he looks at me like "Please save me from her." When she's in the house, he slinks around or tries to stay in one spot far away from her. But she approaches him and picks on him. :(

The first and only time I scolded her with a stern "No Misfit! He's not bothering you. You leave him alone!", she ran over and swatted me with a fighting look in her eyes. That was the only time I ever raised my voice to her...and it backfired.

Still hoping more time will get Misfit (and Silo) to calm down naturally. I don't know what else to do. At least I haven't seen claw marks at the corner of Charlie's eyes the last couple of weeks. For a while he had fresh scratches close to his right eye about once a week. I'd never forgive myself if she blinds him. Like I mentioned before, I don't leave them loose in the house unsupervised.

:hugs: Hugs.

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
❤, you guys are beyond beautiful! Well, in a way I feel calmed knowing I'm not alone with this kind of situation. I'm not sure how Silo processes being hollered at by a 6'4" man yesterday which made him run for his life but today he only hissed once at the dog and it was because Alvin ran past him quickly. He hasn't been under the table as much and has been giving him space. Dog has been walking around more freely however cautiously, always keeping an eye out for "where is he?"....I'm adding a picture from breakfast time when the kids were eating and Silo joined them...

Attachments

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Heehee. He looks like "Daddy yelled at me. I'm sorry!" :) He's so handsome.
Ha! Now that you mention it and I looked at it again...your right! He's got the look. Also, if you may have been wondering what that gooey red thing is on the table...my kids made me a playdoh pizza for breakfast....:popworm:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, look at Silo sitting at the breakfast table like a true member of the family. :redheartpump: I guess sometimes a good hollering works. Like when I flipped out on my cats for messing with electrical cords, "No, absolutely not! We never, ever play with cords! You could cause a fire!" Let's just say that I didn't have to tell them twice! :D

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww, look at Silo sitting at the breakfast table like a true member of the family. :redheartpump: I guess sometimes a good hollering works. Like when I flipped out on my cats for messing with electrical cords, "No, absolutely not! We never, ever play with cords! You could cause a fire!" Let's just say that I didn't have to tell them twice! :D
Oh lady! Electrical cords? Definite no no....that would've sent me. ❤ You must've harnessed the ambiance of a tall and burly man at that moment...❤