First Time Trying To Tame A Feral/stray

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh! Just took a breath, a long one...seems like all my going down and coaxing him may have helped...he just came upstairs and slowly maneuvered his way through to under the couch. I won't bother him AT ALL...the Lord knows the relief I feel.....:bliss::bliss:

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does his eye look okay, is he squinting at all?
He is squinty...but he also had a battle scar from before on that eye....it seems to come and go.....not sure

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I imagine those pole toys would hurt if she bopped him in the eye. If it's not a lasting injury, I'm sure he'll forgive. I've accidentally stepped on my cats a few times and they always forgave me.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad to see he ventured back upstairs. Hope he's back to his regular (new) routine again soon. :heartshape:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just because she's your mom doesn't mean you can't tell her the rules of YOUR house. Tell her to not have anything to do with the cat and if she does she can't be alone with him at all. What rules does she break with your children when you're not around? Accidents happen, but many can be prevented.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would tell your Mom that if she wants to play with Silo, she has to use safer toys, nothing on a pole that can poke him. Maybe a toy on a string, as long as she knows to put the string away afterwards. Their generation doesn't seem to be as careful with pets as we are, my parents are the same way.

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just because she's your mom doesn't mean you can't tell her the rules of YOUR house. Tell her to not have anything to do with the cat and if she does she can't be alone with him at all. What rules does she break with your children when you're not around? Accidents happen, but many can be prevented.
Di and Bob, I couldn't agree more...it's been a long process since she's moved in and a repetitive one. She's older, but I'm not making excuses...I just get caught in making her comfortable and happy...but today, I hope was a few finalizing talk. Thank you!

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would tell your Mom that if she wants to play with Silo, she has to use safer toys, nothing on a pole that can poke him. Maybe a toy on a string, as long as she knows to put the string away afterwards. Their generation doesn't seem to be as careful with pets as we are, my parents are the same way.
Oh Maggie! Your kind words of encouragement are so perfect if you weren't dealing with a stubborn, Eastern European mom that is 5'1" and believes she's 6 feet tall...I'll keep trying, always have....thank you!❤

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wish I could say I had a "nice and long" talk with my mom, but that would be lying. She denied all wrongdoing in her all knowing haughty-taughty self and attempted her usual guilt trip of "l'll never look at your cat again" approach which I gladly accepted and said "great! Do so". The roulette rolls again...in the meantime, more to some more relevant news..

I'm in love with this cat! He was back to normal with his visits upstairs and then some. My poor doggie is so eager to be with him it wrenches at my heart, but Silo hisses and is starting to show him who's boss. Perhaps our dog remembers the scratch he carried on his nose for months when he was a puppy from our prior cats? But darn, I have to give kudos to our dog for being so patient and darn smart to know when to leave well alone. I've just been giving him time to adjust to upstairs life, thinking it took him a month to get comfy in his basement area. The booger still hisses at me periodically, even as he watches me prepare his dinner in the kitchen. I laugh at his silliness and deep down I hope that one day he will truly come around. My kids adore him and it's all they talk about and want to be in involved with, even my hubby (God bless his macho soul), is a fan. Right now, Silo Bilo (thanks Orange), is sleeping downstairs, he had a looong day of activity and play upstairs and is getting ready for prowling and meowing in the nighttime hours. I know I've said it many times...but I wouldn't be where I am without you all! ❤

Attachments

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww he looks so innocent in that new photo. :redheartpump: Oh man, your mom is funny, "I'll never look at your cat again." That made me laugh. I notice that with their generation, they always think they are right and nothing will convince them otherwise. That's great that your kids are helping socialize him. I always wanted to be with my childhood cats, but Dad made them live outside, so I didn't get to spend much time with them, except when we snuck them inside for an hour before school and an hour at night before Dad got home from work. That's why I love having my two cats be indoor only now.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, wow. Silo looks wonderful in that new picture!

And, I think I've posted this before, but it's perfectly normal for a cat to wander off and hang out in a room by themselves. It's just when they hide for hours and hours, and don't come out for meals or litterbox, that you need to be concerned.

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well Silo took a giant step for cat kind! I woke up at 1am and lo and behold...there he was!!! ❤❤ I think he was trying to knead but his claws kept getting caught, then it felt as though he was hunting our feet (hubby got the brunt of it). He was stretching, nuzzling his head into the bedding and eventually jumped off. This morning he was walking around upstairs, visiting the bedrooms even when the kids were in morning play in their rooms. He still hissed when I walked by but didn't go to far. So a new question for you all...his nails are super long...how can I clip them? I'm thinking I will have to wait to gain more trust, but he does allow me to fondle his paws when he is lying on his window...should I try or give it more time?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What an amazing giant step for cat kind!!!! :cheerleader: I think it's official... Silo is a house cat. :catlove: That doesn't mean he won't still have his own quirks and habits, but I think he's accepted that he's a member of your family now. :heartshape:
About the claws... :goodluck:

My Ruby, not feral, though a stray for a little while, absolutely HATES me touching her toes. So most of the time she has claws needing clipping. I do manage to cut one or two every so often when she's sleeping on my lap. But she's a very light sleeper!

Here's the TCS article on nail clipping. Maybe something in there will help with Silo's claws. :crossfingers:
How To Best Take Care Of Cat Claws

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Silo really got in bed with you?! I wasn't expecting that so soon. Yay Silo! Did he interact with the kids at all in their bedrooms? I know some people sneak and cut one or two claws per day while they are sleeping. I got myself a cat grooming bag that unzips at the bottom, so I'll see if that works. I'm nervous that I'll do it wrong though. Should I use human nail clippers or buy a special pair? My cats' claws seem to be getting caught on everything too lately. Maggie did a headstand the other day trying to get her claw out of the carpet. :eek2:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread keep falling off my alert list, so I just got caught up from last Tuesday.

Great great strides in 5 days with Silo Bilo!!!! :wavey:

Sounds like he bounced right back from the "poke in the eye" incident, and is getting even more comfortable with you and your family. That is so terrific. Getting in bed with you means he is feeling very secure with you, as well as looking to you as his protector and source of security. That just makes me so happy, I could cry.

He looks very fit and handsome in that photo too!

I trim Farrell's claws while she's sleeping or very relaxed. Sometimes she wakes up fully and struggles so I only get one or two done and try again later. No point in making it a battle. Now and then, she lets me do them all at one go. Misfit, on the other hand, is still so wild that I haven't even ever tried touching her paws...and she has claws sharp as little ice picks. Maybe some day. Just trust your instincts on the claw clipping.

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What an amazing giant step for cat kind!!!! :cheerleader: I think it's official... Silo is a house cat. :catlove: That doesn't mean he won't still have his own quirks and habits, but I think he's accepted that he's a member of your family now. :heartshape:
About the claws... :goodluck:

My Ruby, not feral, though a stray for a little while, absolutely HATES me touching her toes. So most of the time she has claws needing clipping. I do manage to cut one or two every so often when she's sleeping on my lap. But she's a very light sleeper!

Here's the TCS article on nail clipping. Maybe something in there will help with Silo's claws. :crossfingers:
How To Best Take Care Of Cat Claws
Wow, a house cat? Jeez, I don't know, today he's been really mellow and hanging out in the basement a lot, but maybe like you said it's the ins/outs and quirks. I just have to roll with it....keep the patience going..and if all else fails...wine. Just joking.......maybe

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Silo really got in bed with you?! I wasn't expecting that so soon. Yay Silo! Did he interact with the kids at all in their bedrooms? I know some people sneak and cut one or two claws per day while they are sleeping. I got myself a cat grooming bag that unzips at the bottom, so I'll see if that works. I'm nervous that I'll do it wrong though. Should I use human nail clippers or buy a special pair? My cats' claws seem to be getting caught on everything too lately. Maggie did a headstand the other day trying to get her claw out of the carpet. :eek2:
Yes really!! I would've taken a picture but he would've looked like a creepy Yoda in the dark with evil glowing eyes. I'm real nervous about the clipping and hear you fully. I've always used the designated cat clippers that have the safety blade so you don't go too short and I've never used the human clipppers even though many groomers use them but hold them vertically. What's a grooming bag?? Oh, yes the headstand business, clear sign of time to get clipped. You go first and tell me all about it.......tag, your it. :insertevillaugh:

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This thread keep falling off my alert list, so I just got caught up from last Tuesday.

Great great strides in 5 days with Silo Bilo!!!! :wavey:

Sounds like he bounced right back from the "poke in the eye" incident, and is getting even more comfortable with you and your family. That is so terrific. Getting in bed with you means he is feeling very secure with you, as well as looking to you as his protector and source of security. That just makes me so happy, I could cry.

He looks very fit and handsome in that photo too!

I trim Farrell's claws while she's sleeping or very relaxed. Sometimes she wakes up fully and struggles so I only get one or two done and try again later. No point in making it a battle. Now and then, she lets me do them all at one go. Misfit, on the other hand, is still so wild that I haven't even ever tried touching her paws...and she has claws sharp as little ice picks. Maybe some day. Just trust your instincts on the claw clipping.
Glad to hear from you Orange, I was secretly wondering where you were and in paranoid spirit wondered if I may have insulted in some way...whew! I lose threads too, not sure why that happens. I'm really hoping and eager to see if he comes up tonight even though he has been tucked in and sleeping in the basement most of the day. But the booger didn't mind any petting or loving. He has been exceptionally enjoying his pads scratched with my finger inside so that he can spread his claws/toes. I will try, try is the operative word to clip one nail tomorrow while he is diIng on the window. If I don't respond...chances are I'm scratched to death and please check the local 11 o'clock news...title "blonde attempts to clip ferals nails".....

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If we don't hear from you, we'll send out the coast guard...or is that the cats'st guard? If he's letting you massage his toes, you're probably going to have pretty good luck with the clippers. Let him look at and sniff the clippers, and lay them down so he can investigate, then give it try!