Cat Pooping in Sink

knizri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need help. I was away for 2 months (mid-November through January 4) and my mom would check in on my cats while I was away. About 3 weeks or so before I returned, my Milo began defecating in the bathroom sink. This habit has NOT stopped since I've returned and I've done everything to remedy it.

He's been to the vet and as a preventative we dewormed him. (Yes, he's neutered)
I've tried every single litter out there and it doesn't matter.
I've covered the sink with saran wrap.
I've tried a stress diffuser by sink.
I've purchased more litter boxes.
Litter box is constantly cleaned.

Nothing stops him. If I catch him, he'll bolt to the litter box. But then later he'll come back and poop in the sink.

Any tips to break my brat of this? We've moved in May and it made no difference in environment. He still does it.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I rescued a cat from being euthanized bc inappropriate urination. The cat started after his littermate/companion was suddenly removed from the house. It had gone on for a year with no treatment attempted. (I also had his brother who I had rescued the year before from being killed after the same owner brought him in bc inappropriate defecation ((totally different cause than your issue)). I had him on fluoxetine (Prozac) for 6 months, weaned him off of it and we had each other for another 13 years. There are many names it’s sold under but plain old generic fluoxetine is the most cost effective. Maybe something to talk with your vet about. Your cat seemingly was traumatized by your absence. Poor little guy. He can’t help it. Good thing it’s in the sink and not somewhere harder to clean. Good luck! Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

knizri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I definitely think you're right. It was a stress reaction -- I rescued him at 9 months from a shelter because he was a Christmas present and the girl was "allergic". It sounds weird, but I think he has PTSD or fear of abandonment. When I put him in the kennel to go to the vet or transport because we're moving or have someone coming to do a repair in the apartment, he tinkles himself and goes completely stiff - he won't meow or cry or move.

He's extremely attached to me. Even if I'm gone for the night. Unfortunately, I'm going to be going away for about a week and I'm very worried about how he is going to handle it. So the fluoxetine might be a good idea to help him cope with the anxiety or depression of momma being gone. :(

I hope it will help the pooping in the sink, too. Otherwise, I guess the 2nd bathroom sink is his new litter box. LOL.

I rescued a cat from being euthanized bc inappropriate urination. The cat started after his littermate/companion was suddenly removed from the house. It had gone on for a year with no treatment attempted. (I also had his brother who I had rescued the year before from being killed after the same owner brought him in bc inappropriate defecation ((totally different cause than your issue)). I had him on fluoxetine (Prozac) for 6 months, weaned him off of it and we had each other for another 13 years. There are many names it’s sold under but plain old generic fluoxetine is the most cost effective. Maybe something to talk with your vet about. Your cat seemingly was traumatized by your absence. Poor little guy. He can’t help it. Good thing it’s in the sink and not somewhere harder to clean. Good luck! Keep us posted!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry, though, for the reason that brought you here. Believe it or not, it's not a totally uncommon thing, as there have been several threads on the topic in the past. I haven't read them all, so don't know if solutions were found, but here's the links to some of them, in case you want to check them out.

New kitten pooping in sink
2 Cats: 1 Will Not Poop In The Litter Box But Loves To Use The Sink!
Poop In The Sink
Help! Cat is peeing and pooping in bathroom sink!

You mentioned trying different litters. Have you tried Cat Attract litter?
Dr. Elsey’s Cat Attract™ Cat Litter - the litter cats love™

Also, have you tried leaving the sink full of water? Or simply closing the bathroom door. and a litter box by the door?

japam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
if i was you i would mix vinegar and lime in a bottle for a day or so, pour it in the sink, the smell alone, more than likely will deter the cat from using that area as a toliet,, you might have to reapply for a day or two.

With cats you have to either alter their footpath, or block areas of using smell or materials that make it an uncomfortable passage.

Vinegar and lime might not be your tonic, so you might have to try other smells, i.e i know from experience that local cats hate the smell of shake n vac lilly, mixed with water and garlic powder mixed with water, also ginger mixed with water.

Only last week out of the blue one of the resident strays from next door, started leaving poop uncovered on my lawn, the reason was a bengal passed thru next doors garden, and out of fear the said cat in question, went to an area in my garden, pooped as a way to mark territory and then darted off, i removed the poop and doused the area with garlic water, after two days, the smell of garlic water, stopped her in her tracks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

knizri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes. I've tried all litters. He really likes the one from Jackson Galaxy but he still prefers to poop in the sink. We had a good month or so of him not doing it, but he went right back to it.

Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry, though, for the reason that brought you here. Believe it or not, it's not a totally uncommon thing, as there have been several threads on the topic in the past. I haven't read them all, so don't know if solutions were found, but here's the links to some of them, in case you want to check them out.

New kitten pooping in sink
2 Cats: 1 Will Not Poop In The Litter Box But Loves To Use The Sink!
Poop In The Sink
Help! Cat is peeing and pooping in bathroom sink!

You mentioned trying different litters. Have you tried Cat Attract litter?
Dr. Elsey’s Cat Attract™ Cat Litter - the litter cats love™

Also, have you tried leaving the sink full of water? Or simply closing the bathroom door. and a litter box by the door?

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
if i was you i would mix vinegar and lime in a bottle for a day or so, pour it in the sink, the smell alone, more than likely will deter the cat from using that area as a toliet,, you might have to reapply for a day or two.

With cats you have to either alter their footpath, or block areas of using smell or materials that make it an uncomfortable passage.

Vinegar and lime might not be your tonic, so you might have to try other smells, i.e i know from experience that local cats hate the smell of shake n vac lilly, mixed with water and garlic powder mixed with water, also ginger mixed with water.

Only last week out of the blue one of the resident strays from next door, started leaving poop uncovered on my lawn, the reason was a bengal passed thru next doors garden, and out of fear the said cat in question, went to an area in my garden, pooped as a way to mark territory and then darted off, i removed the poop and doused the area with garlic water, after two days, the smell of garlic water, stopped her in her tracks.
Lots of good deterrent ideas here but unfortunately they don’t address the kitties emotional aspect as to why he’s pooping in the sink.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I definitely think you're right. It was a stress reaction -- I rescued him at 9 months from a shelter because he was a Christmas present and the girl was "allergic". It sounds weird, but I think he has PTSD or fear of abandonment. When I put him in the kennel to go to the vet or transport because we're moving or have someone coming to do a repair in the apartment, he tinkles himself and goes completely stiff - he won't meow or cry or move.

He's extremely attached to me. Even if I'm gone for the night. Unfortunately, I'm going to be going away for about a week and I'm very worried about how he is going to handle it. So the fluoxetine might be a good idea to help him cope with the anxiety or depression of momma being gone. :(

I hope it will help the pooping in the sink, too. Otherwise, I guess the 2nd bathroom sink is his new litter box. LOL.
I am a HUGE fan of flower essence remedies! I read the reviews on Stress Stopper. Looks interesting!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
You might have to do some detective work. If he's not sick or constipated it's probably something in his environment that is upsetting.

Do you have any stray animals or free ranging pets in your area? Could they be teasing him? Marking the property?

Any major changes in the house? New baby? Spouse? Moving? New pet?