Help! Cat is peeing and pooping in bathroom sink!

mrsjuliasass

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We bought two foster kittens when they were around 8 months old, they are brother and sister. We started out using the Tidy Cats Breeze Litter Box System which is an open litter with pellets but they would always play with the pellets so we covered litter with a door that fit in the corner (it was triangle shaped). Then we started having an issue with one of the cats pooping on the mat outside of it I think because she wouldn't turn around when she went in and her butt would stick out. 

Finally, we got a top entry box which was amazing and had almost no litter tracking and both cats were loving it. After about a month, our other cat (not the one we had issues with before) started pooping and peeing in our guest bathroom sink. Their litter box isn't in the bathroom, it's in our guest room but their food and water is in that bathroom.

I put foil over the sink which helps and he then goes in the litter box but it's an inconvenience when we have people over once the foil is off he will go back to the sink. I've also tried spraying repellent in the sink that has an odor the cats dislike but it hasn't worked.

Please someone help me out!

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many litter boxes do you have?  You should have 3 for 2 cats.  If you clean them a few times a day you can get away with 2 boxes.

catluvr101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Occasionally cats do make accidents like that, but to help out with training, what I've used is two steps:

1. A couple of times a day place a cat in the litter box and let it get used to it.
2. If they don't go in the litterbox, place their droppings in it so they can smell it and that they'll think that's where to go.

It worked very well with my two cats and hope this helps with yours. Good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsjuliasass

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the advice! We will try that for sure. I've also been trying to reward after I see the cats going in the litter box. The problem is we aren't home during the day and at night we can't watch them. It's funny because when we cover the sink with foil, the cats go in the litter but once the foil is removed... back to the sink!

catluvr101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hopefully that habit will break soon. Good luck to you