2 Cats: 1 Will Not Poop In The Litter Box But Loves To Use The Sink!

fifilulucoco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I'm hoping someone can help me as I am at the end of my tether with this issue!
I have 2 beautiful siamese devonshire rex cross cats. They are 18 months old and are sisters.
They have been together since birth and love each other alot. There is a bit of play fighting now and then but other than that they get on perfectly.
1 of them has been perfectly well behaved since we got them- she always used the litterbox without any issue.
The other one has been a problem from the beginning. Since we got her she has only wanted to poop in the sink. The lady we bought our cats from mentioned that she had started to wee in the sink but she wasn't sure where she had learnt it from. We thought this would be fine once she got a little older but it has only got worse as now she poops in the sink or bath and wees in the litter box.
She did use the litter box for pooping for a little while but only because we filled all sinks up with water every day. Sometimes we would find poop on the side next to the sink if she was being stubborn.
We always made sure the litter box was clean but this didn't seem to make a difference.
So, recently we decided we would try and train the cats to use the human toilet. We thought this was a good idea for her because she didn't seem to like cat litter (as soon as she did use the litter box she was constantly cleaning her paws and inbetween her toes) . However, now she just poops on the floor next to the toilet.
Our other cat has completed the toilet training but she started to poop on the floor once she realised this was what her sister was doing.
Now we have gone back to the beginning with the litter tray on the floor but now we have one cat pooping and weeing in the tray (good) and our stubborn little cat only weeing in the tray and pooping on the floor.
I have rewarded her every time she has weed in the tray with treats and lots of attention but she hasn't pooped for me to reward her! She has been there when her sister has pooped in the tray and seen that she gets rewarded but this does not make a difference.
I have also tried to catch her in the act but as soon as I move her to the tray she stops trying to poop.
I have also scooped her poop off the floor in to the tray but again, this makes no difference.
She is healthy (recently had her vet check up) and there is no stress between either cat. They have not been declawed (I believe this is unnecessary and cruel) but have both been neutered. They both have plenty of toys and scratching posts as well as a tower to climb. They have multiple beds and places to hide.
I don't know what else to do and it is affecting our day to day lives. I have a holiday coming up and am too embarrassed to ask my neighbors to look after the cats as they used to do this for us but now I feel it is too much to make them clear up after my cat everyday!
Please can anyone offer any advice? I don't know what to do anymore and cannot continue like this. I have read many threads on here but they don't quite seem to have the same circumstances.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How many litter boxes do you have? You really should have 3 (1 per cat, plus one). There are also cats who do not like to use the same litter box for both eliminations. And, yet some other cats want a covered litter box for either peeing or pooping in.

There are also cats who do not like the feel of the litter on their behinds when pooping.

I would recommend having one litter box with puppy pee pads in it and see if she would by chance would use that for pooping.

Also, I just found this article today about cats who repeatedly poop outside the litter box even when they always pee inside it. See if anything in this article might 'ring a bell'.
http://www.thehappylitterbox.com/2012/08/cat-pooping-outside-the-litter-box-5-things-to-consider/

It's a start anyway!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry it's a litter box avoidance issue that brought you here.

How many litter boxes do you currently have? If only one, try putting out a second one. With 2 cats, the "rule" would be 3, 1 per cat, plus one. Also, some cats are quirky and like to pee in one box and poop in another. So first thing I suggest is putting out another litter box.