New kitten pooping in sink

Caesarsalad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just adopted a 4 month old kitten about two weeks ago, noticed he had tapeworms when I got him home and so he's been quarantined in my bathroom since day one. He was using his litter box just fine, then last Monday I had a minor surgery on my foot and I'd stopped going in there because he likes playing with feet and I couldn't walk anyway (had someone else doing his basic care but he was getting attention anymore.) Since then he's been pooping in the bathroom sinks and counter. It's mostly full or semi-diarrhea, which I think is just from the dewormer, but it doesn't seem accidental. Sometimes it full piles in the sink and smears everywhere, sometimes it's lots of smears but no actual pile anywhere, even in the litter box.
His quarantine time is almost up but I'm afraid he's going to poop all over my house. My foot is still healing, so I can't get around well, I'm heavily pregnant and have a toddler, hunting around the house for poopy smears or secret piles is not how I want or need to spend my time

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Since he has diarrhea, it probably is accidental. When he has to go he has to go and likely just can’t make it to the litterbox. Once the dewormer is done doing its thing the diarrhea will stop and he should go back to,his former litterbox habits. You can try mixing a teaspoon of pure canned pumpkin into his wet food and that should help firm up his stool.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Caesarsalad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long after the second dose of dewormer should the diarrhea last? I would've thought 2 weeks after the first was plenty but I guess not ?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, two weeks is an unusually long time. I would ask your vet about it. What are you feeding the kitten and do you know if this is the same diet he was in before you adopted him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Caesarsalad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have no idea what he was eating before but I've been feeding him the Rachel Ray indoor formula that my other cats have been eating

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
He really should have kitten food. Wet food a couple times a day and dry food available all day. If you could find out what he was eating it before and try that it may help.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Between the worming meds, the loss of attention he should be getting due to your foot surgery (poor you and him!), and the changes he's been through, it isn't terribly surprising that he is having some litter box issues! And, depending on how often someone else is checking on him and cleaning up the area, he likely has ample time to accidently step in/walk through/climb into his poop deposits, causing him to end up smearing it everywhere!!

As soon as you can tend to him better, I wouldn't be in a rush to take him out of the bathroom. Once you can spend more time with him, or get someone else to do it for now, see if that doesn't make a difference in his pooping issue (not to mention getting past the worming meds!).