Can't Tame Feral...i Am Near Tears...need Advice

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here I just snapped this pic of her in her playpen. Does she seem normal? She looks sad to me, but maybe she is just exhausted?
I think she looks a bit "annoyed". Probably because you've closed off her closet. ;) She's very pretty though. And hopefully sooner than later will have a happy look on her pretty little face. :catlove:

Have you tried carrying one of your cats into the room with Apple, and saying "Hey, Apple. This is your sister/brother "their name". That way she can see that the other cats aren't afraid of you, and that you're not a meanie monster. :hearthrob:

Is she food motivated, at all? If so, have you tried enticing her to come closer to you with tuna? Or stinky sardines? Or the, apparently, feral favourite - KFC.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Should I open the closet door as an option for her now that she is out of the carrier?

No, she is not food motivated. She eats like a bird, although I try many things. I have not tried sardines, that I recall. She likes the Fancy Feast broths the best and Swanson canned chicken (which only as a treat now and then).

Yeah, she sees me interact with the other cats. I think it's going to go very well if I can ever get her out of her comfort zone. I think she will do just fine with the others.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, right. I forgot, she "eats like a bird".

Since I've never been in your position (socializing a feral cat) I can't give advice based on personal experience, however, I'd vote for "no" on opening the closet door. But wait and see what the members "with" feral experience say, before doing anything.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just started reading the book Total Cat Mojo, It might be beneficial on how to teach your other cats, I think the other cats are key, get them socialized, you are very fortunate to have this. Does she have cat toys she can bat around at night?
Walli plays with her toys at night.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She seems more fearful since I removed her carrier. This morning, she was wedged between the wall and her playpen. Her feed seemed untouched (her kibble it is hard to tell, but her wet food that I had brought in the middle of the night was untouched). I don't know if she is drinking. :frown: There was small amount in her litter pan, so I guess she is drinking some.

I became afraid for her state and reopened the closet (it is a huge walk-in). She is now burrowing in there, as Shadowrescue had predicted. I just didn't know what to do when I saw her wedged in that cranny.

I guess it was all too soon, I should have let her be. :sniffle:

My main goal for today is to get her eating again. :bluedragonfly:

I don't know how to proceed in this burrowing situation where she is fearful.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to go against the tide of the general consensus and say keep the closet door open. She will progress at her own rate, even it if it is slow. She will have to begin a new adjustment process in a few months anyway. The ideal solution, from my experience, would be to purchase one of those six foot cat trees on eBay or Amazon. You can get one for about 80 or $90 with free shipping. A cat tree provides height and also has cubby holes the cat can hide in. This allows the cat to be able to feel secure in a cubby hole, but not be out of sight, and still be able to interact with you. I know you mentioned you wanted to wait until you move to purchase one, but they are very easy to put together and take apart. It takes about an hour to do either. The other upside would be that when you move, she will have a familiar and comfortable piece of furniture.
20160620_144007.jpg

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I agree, since she is retreating. Maybe put her crate back?
Only saying this cuz you are moving and things are going to forcefully change.
Changes Scare Ferals.
Can you get her together with the cat that likes her, maybe that will help her with the move.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
MsAimee, that is a great tree, what brand is that? Yes, good point about setting one up now so she has the familiarity of it after the move. Although, I think she is more of a "bush dweller". Even outside, I never saw her climb. She was always in the grass or the bushes.

Yes, the closet door is open again and she is burrowing. She needs to eat. I am going to the store to see what else I can lure her with.

Various new cat foods
Baby meats
Sardines
Anchovies (won't these be too salty?)
Various canned meats (she won't eat people tuna for some reason)
:petcat:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Walli, I don't want to bring in the other cats right now because I think she is scared from the disruption in her hiding place. Thus far, she has gotten along fine with them. I don't know, she just isn't acclimating to her surroundings. But I know this can take months (or years).

Once she seems less fearful, I will bring in her brother, whom she gets along best with. Hopefully, by tonight. Once she eats, I will know she is doing ok.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried baby food? Gerber stage 2, chicken or turkey. It's in the small glass jar with a blue label. Ingredients are chicken or turkey, water and modified food starch. When one of my cats doesn't eat, this is always a winner.

I also have found that Fancy Feast Purely tuna is a winner. I find it both in the grocery and pet stores. Skipjack Tuna Natural Cat Food | Purely | Fancy Feast®

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, she is going to be okay - she ate most of her Swanson chicken (I know not the best thing for her, but she needed to eat), and then she ate most of a pack of FF broths. :cheerleader:

So I took a step backwards with her, but she is going to be okay. :alright:

Shadowrescue, I forgot the baby food! I meant to get some! Yes, I did pick up some Purely FF in many flavors. Used to be called "Appeteezers" and is a favorite of all my cats! :bluebutterfly:

She is still burrowing, but at least she is eating. :sunshine: