Can't Tame Feral...i Am Near Tears...need Advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for checking in on her - she is about the same, no better, no worse. She is sometimes eating with me in the room, though, so I am happy about that! She is loving Swanson canned chicken! :cool2:

One of her sisters hisses at her when she comes in her room for intros. How can I make this process better? I am currently "scent swapping" with their scratchers and toys. I know she won't hurt her, and she does not attempt to chase her, she just hisses and then leaves the room. Her sister weighs 19 pounds so I imagine that combined with the hissing is quite intimidating for little Apple. :runaround:

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure Apple has encountered many cats during her life outside, and not all of them were welcoming. She is being cautious and passive because she understands that she is in the territory of other cats. Eventually they will redefine their territories and learn to share. Then when you move, the process will start all over again. Don't be concerned about the hissing. There's been no violence, no chasing, scratching, or fighting. that is a very good sign. It's very likely that Apple is glad there are other cats inside, She is learning this is a safe place for her.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Be careful about the Swanson canned chicken. It is loaded with sodium. You can try rinsing it first to remove some of the sodium. If she likes chicken, it is best to make your own with no added salt or other spices. It's ok to use the Swanson in small bits, but too much is not good.

The hissing may last for awhile. There is nothing you can do to speed up this process. Are you offering all of the cats something yummy when they enter Apple's room? You want all to associate being together with something good. This is usually food or it also can be play time.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sometimes find that cats loose track of who is who during play time. A new toy that no one has ever played with can get kitties playing and focused on the toy instead of each other. I like a wand or even just a stick with a string attached to the end. I make sure to give this playtime equally so all have a chance at the toy. The more focused they are on the toy, the less likely they are to focus on each other. You may have some hissing when they realize they have had a close encounter with each other but just take baby steps. You might be surprised how fun things done together can bridge a gap.:kitty::bluepaw::dizzycat::dizzycat:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She still won't play, but I think things are improving. Her brother went very close to her and ate some of her food (I was watching, as I wanted to gauge her reaction). She didn't flinch. No hiss, no growling, no backing up further into the carrier. I think this is progress! At least with her brother. Her sisters need more time. :anticipation:

So the salt is bad? I was afraid she wasn't getting enough, given how little she eats. But you are right - the Swanson chicken is very high in sodium. I can give it a light rinse.

I do wish she would come out more. I am getting a little worried about her muscles and joints from not moving around enough. But at the same time, I want her to feel safe. I don't want to take away her carrier. :daisy:

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you put any catnip toys in her room? In the morning, are they moved around at all? She may very well be moving around and playing during the night when you are sleeping. This is very common behavior for feral cats, even when they are outside. Her muscles aren't going to atrophy. Sadly, cats exist in small cages in shelters for months before they are adopted or euthanized, and their muscles are okay. I don't think you should be worrying about that issue. Great news about Apple getting along with one of your resident cats

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, lately some of her toys and her scratcher are moved. I bought her a nice scratcher, but she prefers the cheap cardboard ones. I "swapped" it out with the other cats scratchers so they could smell the new scents, and it is working out well, with all cats using the scratchers. I don't sleep in there too often anymore because there is no bed, but I think she's fine. :sunshine:

Do you think it is too soon to start transitioning her to the litter that I normally buy? The Cat Attract is quite pricey. :confused: I had removed her potting soil/litter combo days ago and she transitioned with ease to using just the litter.

She she will sometimes eat in my presence, too. I do feel we are making progress, despite her still wanting to hang out in her carrier most of the time.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, get the regular litter now. You might just mix it into the other litter.

So glad she is coming out some and using some of the toys and scratchers. Moving the other scratcher for your other cats is a great idea since it is a scent soaker.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Things are getting a little bit better. Her sister (the "hisser") has been coming in her room sometimes with no hissing. She will look around, but won't approach Apple. Then she walks out of the room. I think this is a big step, and they are getting used to each other's presence, although they do not interact. :clap2:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I hope so! I am worried about how she will acclimate when I move into the 1-bedroom and she will no longer have a safe room. She will be ok, right? :nervous:

We have nearly 4 months until the move....she's come so far, I like to think she will be okay by then....

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
4 months is a pretty long time, considering how well things are going.
she will be fine!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think you are right! She actually came out of her carrier when I called to her! She didn't allow me to touch her, but she poked her little head out and came out! :bluecat:

She still has not attempted to leave her room when the door is open, but that is okay. I'm sure she will in time. :catrub:

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just read this whole thread at once and just want to say youre doing a great job! I can tell you really care about this kitty :) just keep your head up and keep the faith that things will be ok-it could definitely be going much worse. I also realize now how lucky i was with my cat Honeybunny-i just encountered her one day as a skinny stray and she let me feed her and put her in a duffel bag (was all i had) & take her home with me.

Keep up the good work, Apple is lucky to have you :)

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awww, I hope you are right! Yes, I really care for her and have been feeding her for so long. I just wish she knew how safe she is now! Perhaps if I didn't have other kitties, but I do and she will have to acclimate. :fear:

She will have her safe room until moving day, after that, I am not sure what I will do. The only thing I can think of is a room partition and/or a cat house of some sort. But then what is to keep my nosey boy from using her house? It won't be easy in a 1-bedroom, but she will be ok. :alright:

Honey-bunny is the cutest name EVER. I am so glad everything worked out for you both! :bunny:

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She will be fine, If any problems pop up, we will be right here!
We put up baby gates last week to separate our Feral and new Stray, as they had a fight. We put hinges on the baby gate so we can go in and out of the separate areas. I don't think it will come to that for you, but just so you know there are solutions to problems! Your kitties are doing so well, they will be ok!