Attacked By Outside Cat

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry it's not going better. Are you able to get a black light and enzyme cleaner? I know they are both still scared from the attack but I also wonder if the stray marked when it got in or is still marking your door. Also look around your home for any accident spots.

The cone might not be a bad idea. It won't hurt her, give her something different to be annoyed with, and can easily be removed. Wait a while after putting the cone on before letting her see Meimey so she doesn't associate Meimey with the cone.

Have you asked your vet or local pet supply about calming products in your area? Many people use Feliway. Bachs Rescue Remedy is helping our skittish boy. Cooled Chamomile tea made from the tea bags not loose might help all of you relax a little. Give them a teaspoonful a few times a day.

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, no that beautiful cat is my avatar but unfortunately his cancer was very aggressive and came back and had spread to his lymph nodes only a month or so after the surgeries that made him cancer free . I wouldn't have put him through surgery at all if I'd known it would come back so quickly. But it was so great to see him so happy and healthy and playing like a kitten for the time he was healthy.
The oncologist told me 90 percent of cats with his particular cancer don't have recurrence for at least five years and since he was already fifteen and diabetic I didn't know if he'd live five years with diabetes anyway so it seemed worth it to do the surgery with a 90 percent chance of no recurrence for five years. He was just unlucky.
June 5 will be two years.
It can't hurt to try the cone, it'll distract her. I'd try the black light to see if that other cat is spraying too.
Are you sure she's not in pain? Do you trust the vet that saw her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry to hear
Hi, no that beautiful cat is my avatar but unfortunately his cancer was very aggressive and came back and had spread to his lymph nodes only a month or so after the surgeries that made him cancer free . I wouldn't have put him through surgery at all if I'd known it would come back so quickly. But it was so great to see him so happy and healthy and playing like a kitten for the time he was healthy.
The oncologist told me 90 percent of cats with his particular cancer don't have recurrence for at least five years and since he was already fifteen and diabetic I didn't know if he'd live five years with diabetes anyway so it seemed worth it to do the surgery with a 90 percent chance of no recurrence for five years. He was just unlucky.
June 5 will be two years.
It can't hurt to try the cone, it'll distract her. I'd try the black light to see if that other cat is spraying too.
Are you sure she's not in pain? Do you trust the vet that saw her?
I’m sorry to hear about this. 15 years is a very long time for a cat. You’re a great cat mom.

I’ll get the black light to check and do another cleaning. There could be urine markings which I didn’t see. I don’t think she’s in any pain as she’s not excessively licking an area like she did when she had an abscess last year. She also didn’t flinch or get mad when I pet her.

Lol...my bf doesn’t like the cone idea. He thinks I’m punishing Meffy for no reason. He really thinks we should just let them “work it out” and fights will get lesser after a while, which I don’t agree. Meffy is the only one acting like that. Will try the cone next week.

ambermay

I hold your heart close to my chest.
Adult Cat
Purraise
What about calling the vet to come to your home? They could come with trained helpers...
At some occasions feline people respond to strangers (vets) better then their owners? Mine do if I take them in...
Just a gentle suggestion? Meimey could be really hurt?

I don't really know your cats, but if such thing happened to any of mine - I would go to the extent as to treat them like wild cats/feral, and just throw the blanket over my baby to take her or him to a vet for them to get better.

I've done that before, not to my own cats though, but saved some feline lives.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What about calling the vet to come to your home? They could come with trained helpers...
At some occasions feline people respond to strangers (vets) better then their owners? Mine do if I take them in...
Just a gentle suggestion? Meimey could be really hurt?

I don't really know your cats, but if such thing happened to any of mine - I would go to the extent as to treat them like wild cats/feral, and just throw the blanket over my baby to take her or him to a vet for them to get better.

I've done that before, not to my own cats though, but saved some feline lives.
I have brought them both to the vet a few days after the incident. Meimey had a ripped toenail which has recovered now. The vet didn’t find any injuries on Meffy. She is also eating as normal now.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok so I ordered Feliway. Really hope it will help.

It’s been 2 days since I let Meffy see Meimey. I tried again today; the first time she only stared for a minute, no growling or hissing. Then she turned and walked away. I thought that was a good sign. About 3 hours later, I tried again. This time Meffy’s tail was swishing, still no hissing/growling. I petted her head with a praise but her response was in between growling and meowing

Hoping for better results tomorrow.

Bauer25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm glad you are making some progress, but I have to say after reading through the whole thread, the reason it has taken so long is because you rushed it... and you continued to rush it even with all the advice to slow down, and you let them run through doors far too many times and get in far to many fights, which just made it all worse for them and for you.

If you ever have this again, separate the cats for a full week, don't let them even see each other, then start doing the scent transfers for a couple days, the room switches, then have them eating with seeing each other for a few days until they have absolutely no reaction to seeing each other.

I am so sorry about your dad that must be incredibly hard, and having this all go on is not what you need right now, I am happy you are making progress with them even though it is slower than you would like

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you are making some progress, but I have to say after reading through the whole thread, the reason it has taken so long is because you rushed it... and you continued to rush it even with all the advice to slow down, and you let them run through doors far too many times and get in far to many fights, which just made it all worse for them and for you.

If you ever have this again, separate the cats for a full week, don't let them even see each other, then start doing the scent transfers for a couple days, the room switches, then have them eating with seeing each other for a few days until they have absolutely no reaction to seeing each other.

I am so sorry about your dad that must be incredibly hard, and having this all go on is not what you need right now, I am happy you are making progress with them even though it is slower than you would like
I suppose you’re right. I assumed that 3-4 days was enough isolation which was why I thought it was a good idea to start letting them see each other, then progress too the next step days later. I didn’t realize I was going too fast.

Oh they are still separated now. I’m going to let them peek at each other again today.

Yes my dad’s condition is another reason I fail at this process this time. I’ve had no free weekend to take care of this process because I have to be back at my parents’ place. So I’m at my home for 5 working days and weekends away. This problem is really a something I didn’t need but sigh...just have to move forward.

Thanks so much for the advise and being honest on what I’m doing wrong.

inkysmom

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Vets can't always find something wrong from just an exam. They need to do blood work and more extensive tests. They might not want to do it if they can't see a reason but sudden behavior changes are a reason.

My other cat suddenly peed on the bathroom rug a couple of times. He was eating and drinking and acting fine no other changes. I brought him in and the vet exam said he was fine. I insisted on labs so they reluctant did them . He had cancer

For the past six months vets and oncologists keot telling me he was doing fine and responding well to treatment. Every time he peed somewhere unusual I insisted on stronger painkillers and that he wasn't as fine as they said.
I had to fight and advocate every second.
He fought until the very end, clinging to me not wanting to die. He was eating, drinking, using the litter box, a good weight, affectionate and clinging the day I had to euthanize him. But his health was very bad and he couldn't keep living without suffering.
Acting normally doesn't always mean they're fine. Neither does eating and drinking. Its a survival skill for cats to hide pain and sickness. I've had other cats keep eating and drinking even when they were literally dying from cancer. And vets said they were fine on exams until I insisted on more extensive testing.
If you can't find more spraying or pee from the stray, then Meimey is trying to tell you something.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It’s the 2nd day I let Meffy see Meimey through the slightly open door. So far, no hissing/growling like before but just staring and swishing tail on Meffy’s part. Meffy also walks off after a while. Meimey remains looking timid and just sits there, not moving.

Is this improvement? Is tail swishing still aggression? It’s really hard for me to tell what she’s thinking.

Meffy is also always sitting outside the room, sniffing and swishing her tail.

inkysmom

Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's definitely an improvement but tail swishing is still anger so don't rush it again. You want completely no reaction and them ignoring each other or actual friendliness.

Ears back, fur standing up or puffy, tail swishing, eyes narrowed, hissing or growling, slinking, swatting, fixating on each other, are all bad signs.

Good signs are proud strutting, loose relaxed body language, meowing or chirping at you, purring, rubbing against you or objects, tail held high with the end curved slightly like a question mark, loving wide open relaxed eyes, ears forward, rolling over, head butting, seeking pets, treats and food, arching their backs and especially butts when you pet them, rolling around and showing their vulnerable belly areas.

Ok that's all the "cat speak" I can think of right now lol.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It’s strange how Meffy can tolerate eating just right outside the door but will be swishing her tail when she sees Meimey.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Meffy is getting used to the idea that Meimeys scent isn't scary buy hasn't gotten there with seeing her yet. Have you begun sight swapping? If neither is too stressed by it, have them switch each day. Meffy would be in the room immersed in Meimeys scent and able to rub and combine the scents. Meimey would be able to do the same in the rest of the house plus relearn that the whole house is safe. Many scared cats will wait until night time or when no one is home to look around. That's why I suggest daily swaps rather than only when your home.

During the time they see each try and get Meffy chase a toy. Now that she's a little more comfortable she might be willing. Don't do it with Meimey yet, it might make Meffy see her as prey. Do play with Meimey after closing the door. Being the great hunter killing a toy will build her confidence.

The baby steps are working.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Meffy is getting used to the idea that Meimeys scent isn't scary buy hasn't gotten there with seeing her yet. Have you begun sight swapping? If neither is too stressed by it, have them switch each day. Meffy would be in the room immersed in Meimeys scent and able to rub and combine the scents. Meimey would be able to do the same in the rest of the house plus relearn that the whole house is safe. Many scared cats will wait until night time or when no one is home to look around. That's why I suggest daily swaps rather than only when your home.

During the time they see each try and get Meffy chase a toy. Now that she's a little more comfortable she might be willing. Don't do it with Meimey yet, it might make Meffy see her as prey. Do play with Meimey after closing the door. Being the great hunter killing a toy will build her confidence.

The baby steps are working.
I haven’t tried putting Meffy into Meimey’s room yet. She hardly goes into that room even on normal days. I will try it for a few hours tomorrow.

Yes I play with Meimey every day. I also give them both daily brushing with the same brush and they don’t react to it :) Hoping for better outcome soon.

Edit: I put Meimey in another bedroom while I let Meffy roam her safe room. She did so for about 5 minutes until she realized “someone” was in the 2nd bedroom. Then she got all suspicious because the gap beneath the door is slightly wider than other doors, allowing ber a sneak peak. Very fast tail swishing but no hisses. She swishes her tail a lot ever since she was a kitten. It’s like a habit. She also does it when she’s sleeping next to me. I know she’s sound asleep when it stops. Though now I believe she’s doing it because she’s agitated.

Last edited:

Danglos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After our neighbours cat tried to invade our front door and urinated into our house (not nice) our cats were never the same. I'm assuming the spraying and seeing a massive cat (he's huge) scared them and they became aggressive to each other. This didn't settle down and unfortunately Leo and Jessie had to be rehomed. I don't think we understand how serious redirected aggression can be. Cats unfortunately react very differently when their territory is invaded and I think it upsets the balance of who is the "boss" of the house. I hope Felliway Friends will help you.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After our neighbours cat tried to invade our front door and urinated into our house (not nice) our cats were never the same. I'm assuming the spraying and seeing a massive cat (he's huge) scared them and they became aggressive to each other. This didn't settle down and unfortunately Leo and Jessie had to be rehomed. I don't think we understand how serious redirected aggression can be. Cats unfortunately react very differently when their territory is invaded and I think it upsets the balance of who is the "boss" of the house. I hope Felliway Friends will help you.
Oh no I don’t want to rehome them. I love them both too much and really hope it won’t come to that. I understand both of them have been traumatized and I also don’t know what the stray did when she entered.
How long did the aggression last that you decided to rehome them?

Danglos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh no I don’t want to rehome them. I love them both too much and really hope it won’t come to that. I understand both of them have been traumatized and I also don’t know what the stray did when she entered.
How long did the aggression last that you decided to rehome them?
Almost 2 weeks - it got very violent and constant fighting to the point one attacked me 3 times so I had to make a decision as we have 2 children and they drew blood.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I miss watching my cats play in the living room. It’s been 3 weeks now.

Just now I played with Meimey in her room with the door open so Meffy can watch. Sadly, the moment Meimey saw her she stopped playing and ran to hide under the bed. Meffy didn’t make any sounds but she stared hard with her tails swishing. I can’t move forward from this stage. Meffy didn’t even respond to the cat toy and simply stared until I closed the door.

I’m curious. If I sent both them for boarding for a short time, will that help? I found a place which had good reviews with very clean and comfortable “rooms”. Anyone tried this?

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure about the boarding but I'd be afraid you'd lose the progress you've made.

Mefffy saw Meimey playing and didn't attack her. That is a very big deal. Yes, she swished her tail but didn't go after Meimey.

Danglos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Door barrier with feeding and treats either side like a new cat introduction might be your only recourse.