Attacked By Outside Cat

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You put them in separate carriers so they can't hurt each other. They can scream and hiss all they want but can't do anything to each other.

Most of my cats hate car rides and meow and scream and make all kinds of noises the whole way to the vet and back. I try talking to them nicely, try petting them through the bars.

When I get fed up, I just turn on the radio and put up the volume a bit, nothing to hurt them but to keep me sane :)

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No don't bath them. Most cats hate water and it would probably make things worse not better. I've heard of people putting a few drops of vanilla on the back of each cats neck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No don't bath them. Most cats hate water and it would probably make things worse not better. I've heard of people putting a few drops of vanilla on the back of each cats neck.
I actually bathe them about once every 2 months when they become greasy. They tolerate the water since I do it slowly by using a dipper instead of the showerheas. Not sure if it’s a good idea now that they are both stressed out. Sigh..

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Btw..how long should I separate my girls? 3 days or a week? During separation, should they be able to see one another? How would I know it’s still “too soon” for them to have visual contact and ruin the introduction? I have to do this process from the start again.

Also, is it okay to let them take turns to roam the area while the other is kept in a room? Meimey doesn’t use the spare litter box and prefers the big one which they both share. Is that okay?

I want to make this better.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Switching areas is great they will get each others scent. The amount of time is different for all cats so no one can say. Do they comfortably eat near the closed?Rub each with a cloth and put it by the others food dish. If no one is going outside a box then sharing is probably a good sign. Continue keeping the extra one in the closed room. When they are both calm you can try opening the door a little so they can see each other but not be able to get at each other. Only open the door more if neither reacts badly. Wait to crack the door until Meimeys toe heels some more so she doesn't smell like blood. Keep rubbing cloths one and then the other, hopefully they will smell like each other.

I know patience is hard especially with you concern for your Dad but it's what works.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only good thing, though maybe it's a huge good thing, to come from the 6:30 am fight is that BF now knows for certain that you can't just put them together. If he doesn't... well, really one has to wonder.

Hope to hear how they do Saturday when you take them both into the vet. The car ride together - in separate carriers - the being at the vet together -- may just help them remember they don't hate each other. NOTE: continue re-introduction slowly. But the trip together should shake up the territorial part of their issues. The vet should help with the pain. It's been long enough now that Meffy may have an infection going.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
K Kflowers Yeah bf understands it now. I told him we have to start back at one. I have taken Meimey to the vet the other day so I will just be taking Meffy next for a check.

Hellenww Hellenww They didn’t eat their meals but I gave them little treats which they ate. I also looked under the door and saw Meimey just sitting there. No hissing so far.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You should take them both to the vet so they both smell the same. It will help them accept each other better faster.
Ok looks like I have to buy one more carrier. I only used one all these years and always took them separately since their vaccination dates are different.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alright so I hauled both of them to the vet today. Vet says they are both fine with no signs of bites except for Meimey’s toe. This was a different vet though. She warned that stray cats may carry feline HIv which may be passed on to my cats.

.....now I’m even more worried!!

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since I took both cats to the vet yesterday, they have “met” each other while in their carriers. There’s a bit of hissing at first but during the car ride, only Meffy kept meowing to be let out as usual. Once back home, I separated them again.

Does this interruption ruin the introduction process?
I let Meffy peek inside the room yesterday during dinner time. She hissed. Meimey just continued eating. Meimey is usually chill unless provoked.

Does this mean Meffy needs more time? This was day 2 of separation (but feels like forever to me)

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Her hissing and not attacking is a good sign but she's not ready yet. If your able to get her to play it will work off some of her tension. Maybe it would get her back to attacking toys and not her sister. :grouphug:

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Her hissing and not attacking is a good sign but she's not ready yet. If your able to get her to play it will work off some of her tension. Maybe it would get her back to attacking toys and not her sister. :grouphug:
She can’t attack since I was holding the door only a crack open. I’ve been thinking to just put a cone on Meffy to restrict her movements so she can’t attack Meimey. That was what happened last time when she came back from surgery. Also hissing and growling but due to the cone, she can’t attack or go under tiny spaces where Meimey hides. Meffy would eventually back off due to failed attempt.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She can’t attack since I was holding the door only a crack open. I’ve been thinking to just put a cone on Meffy to restrict her movements so she can’t attack Meimey. That was what happened last time when she came back from surgery. Also hissing and growling but due to the cone, she can’t attack or go under tiny spaces where Meimey hides. Meffy would eventually back off due to failed attempt.
Give them time. You don't need to rush this. This has been almost no time at all for them, though I know it seems like ages for you.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thing is, I have to be away to take care of my dad for 4 days over the weekend. Bf will not be around for 2 days due to work.

Is it okay to leave Meimey confined to the room with all the food and litter box? I’ve never have to leave them in such a state but it’s a different situation now

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Give them time. You don't need to rush this. This has been almost no time at all for them, though I know it seems like ages for you.
Should I continue to let them see/peek at each other everyday or wait longer? I haven’t swapped their rooms since Meimey feels safe in there but I have wiped each other with their cheek scents and share the toys.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Day 5
Meimey is getting bored being kept inside the room all day. She would meow, knock/scratch at the door to be let out whenever she hears I’m home.

I’m still worried to let her out without keeping Meffy in another room because I don’t know if Meffy is ok with it. Really don’t want another sudden attack just when I think she is fine. I know Meimey’s fine because she’s usually the one who backs off first.

Last edited:

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can they take turns being in the room on opposite days? This would give Meffy a chance to accept Meimey's scent in all rooms, feel less cooped up, and hopefully more relaxed.