Attacked By Outside Cat

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buy some puppy pads - pet store, Amazon - put several in the carrier. They will soak up any pee that happens. Take enough with you to change them out at the vet. This is not a big deal. You are working yourself up, which is understandable, but is making every thing much harder than it needs to be.

Get Meimy and Meffy to the vet. You don't know if Meffy was hurt and just hiding it. The fact that she is so aggressive is a pretty good indication that she is hurt. She could have some internal damage you can't see even if you examine her. Aggression is often a reaction to pain.

Once you get them treated, begin the re-introduction process. See my post above. It's very unlikely that they will suddenly decide every thing is fine. Right now they are total strangers to each other and hurt. Right now they blame each other for their fear and pain. Just throwing them together will not work.

Not getting them treated for their injuries will only make things worse.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember what I said about throwing a towel over Meiny and stuffing her in the carrier? That will work with the puppy pads in the carrier. It will keep you from getting scratched. Do the same with Meffy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok so I went and sat inside the room with some food for her. Called her out softly then she answered, slowly coming to me, probably ‘complaining’ about everything. I petted her, trying to find any points which she may be hurting but she appeared normal. When I showed her the brush her she reacted like how she always did which was to roll and stretch to her side. She was relaxed and purring until Meffy sat at the door, she began to hiss and growl.

As I was about to go out, Meffy slipped in. I waited for a reaction. True enough, Meffy saw Meimey and tried to attack her again. I managed to push her away, scolded her and shut the door.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Either your cats are suffering from re-directed aggression - did you read the article? or one of them is injured.

If you're lucky they will heal on their own. Even broken bones, which they don't seem to have, can heal without being set.

I wish your cats good luck.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Buy some puppy pads - pet store, Amazon - put several in the carrier. They will soak up any pee that happens. Take enough with you to change them out at the vet. This is not a big deal. You are working yourself up, which is understandable, but is making every thing much harder than it needs to be.

Get Meimy and Meffy to the vet. You don't know if Meffy was hurt and just hiding it. The fact that she is so aggressive is a pretty good indication that she is hurt. She could have some internal damage you can't see even if you examine her. Aggression is often a reaction to pain.

Once you get them treated, begin the re-introduction process. See my post above. It's very unlikely that they will suddenly decide every thing is fine. Right now they are total strangers to each other and hurt. Right now they blame each other for their fear and pain. Just throwing them together will not work.

Not getting them treated for their injuries will only make things worse.
How do I tell the vet that Meffy could be hurt if I don’t find any signs? Will they be able to check or just give her a shot to avoid infections?

Yes I will put a towel the carrier in case Meimey gets nervous again.

This actually happened before last year when I brought Meffy back from the clinic after being there for 3 days. I didn’t know they would not recognie each other and simply let her go into the house, which caused a massive fight. But neither was hurt although I still had to separate them for a week or so.

How come both cats don’t see me or my boyfriend as a threat but hate each other?

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Either your cats are suffering from re-directed aggression - did you read the article? or one of them is injured.

If you're lucky they will heal on their own. Even broken bones, which they don't seem to have, can heal without being set.

I wish your cats good luck.
Yes I did. I will put their bowls close to the separating door tomorrow.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tell the vet what happened and that you want to be sure they are all right. You aren't a vet, you don't have to do the vet's job. let him/her look for damage. Meffy may have fought with the strange cat before escaping.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Day 4 - They still can’t stand the sight of one a another. I let Meimey out around the house so she could have a break. Then I let Meffy out too. The moment their eyes meet it was just hisses and growls. Scooped Meffy back into my room. An hour later, I let her come close to Meimey’s room while I dangled a toy. Meimey caught her scent and immediately growled. Sigh...looks like they have not stopped hating each other yet.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i think you may be going too fast with the steps of the re-introduction. Just because they once liked each other doesn't mean you should go faster than if they had never known each other.

Even if the vet didn't find any scratches or bites, they may have bruises from the fight and still be in pain. You probably aren't going to make much progress until they aren't in pain. What did the vet say?

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven’t gone to the vet yet :( I work full time so by the time I get home the clinics have closed. I will take them there tomorrow.

I guess you’re right that they may be agitated due to pain/trauma. I admit I’m in a hurry to get them back together. Will keep them separated a bit longer.

Gave Meimey a good brushing and massage today while Meffy is kept in the room.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok got Meimey to a vet. One of her toenails have been ripped off the nail bed (ouch) but vets say not to worry it will grow back. Must be that frantic climbing up the window grill when I found her. Other than that, he didn’t find any injuries or bite marks. He said she’s probably traumatized by everything.

Thankfully she didn’t pee at the clinic or in my car. She was screaming when i tried to place her into the carrier

Once at home, I put the carrier down and let Meffy sniff around before letting Meimey out. It was that staring contest before one of them started hissing.

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad to hear Meimey is ok, that's a relief. She would have had the strange smell from the vet on her and that wouldnt have helped Mefffy's reaction. Try stroking Meffy with an old clean towel, garment, cloth or something like that then stroke Meimey with the same item and vice versa so they will have the same smells, swot anything that the other sleeps on. The most important thing is for you to be patient and do things slowly. You will get there.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes spayed when they were 6 months old. They are 8 years and 6 years old now.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That toe was probably rather painful. As it heals she should calm a bit.

Most cats dislike the carrier. I've had some that screamed so loud that people in other cars turned to look at us. Everyone's windows closed. I've had others that tried to fight their way out of the carrier, we used heavy plastic not cardboard. I had one who fainted and stayed unconscious until we got him back home. He was a favorite at the vet.

So you are absolutely sure there is nothing wrong with Meffy? Aggression is often a sign of pain. yes, she escaped, but you don't know what happened while she was escaping. I've seen cats fighting roll down two flights of stairs and keep on fighting. They weren't hurt, but I suspect perhaps a little bruised.

The key thing now is to follow the re-introduction process exactly as it's stated. Don't rush it. Every time you rush it, you go back a couple of weeks. This will work, but you and bf must be patient.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought the same about the toe too. The nail bed was all red. I bundled her up in a towel then put her into the carrier upright. Thank god she was only screaming but not struggling. Oh Meimey is fine. She’s back to her old self. It’s just Meffy always trying to attack her.

I’ll keep an eye on Meffy. She’s not eating much, which is normal whenever she’s agitated. It’s really hard to get time off to send them to the vet. I also have to travel home 200km away to take my dad to the hospital.

Sigh...bf keeps saying we should just let them out and let them “deal with it.” He’s not used to this kind of detailed care for cats and thinks I’m fussing too much over them. Well it was my fault so I have to deal with this.

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't feel bad about your bf. I'm sure he has some endearing traits and will learn how to live with cats.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Frustrating morning

So for the past 6 days, I will let Meimey out of her room at night to walk around my aparment while I kept Meffy in my bedroom. This morning, I didn’t notice Meimey sitting at the dining table when Meffy suddenly bolted out of my bedroom and lunged at Meimey for an full scale catfight at 6.30am which startled my bf out of bed. I managed to separate them, tossed Meffy back into my bedroom. There was some blood on Meimey’s fur which I suspect was from Meimey’s earlier injury. Wipe it off then applied some cream on her toe.

Then I went to work, angry and frustrated at myself. I’m back to negative 100 again. I can’t take this. Oh yeah.. bf was all “why did you let her out??!”

Last edited:

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Meffys been acting aggressively since the outside cat got in. The vet found an injury on Meimey when you brought her in and now she's better. Ideally you would have brought them both in together and avoided them smelling differently and any more cause for problems and found any injuries on both to avoid prolonging their potential pain and suffering longer.
You can't change it now but remember for the future that it may be best to take then in together.
Cats don't just suddenly change personalities and attack for six days without a good reason. Meffys telling you she's in pain too and needs to see the vet as soon as possible. I know it's hard to bring them during work hours and vet hours but it's going to get worse not better the longer you don't get her help.
If she keeps hurting Meimey you'll have to bring them both in.
Can your boyfriend bring her in? Maybe he'll listen to the vet and be more supportive.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately no. He works long hours that requires a lot of travelling. Also he’s never taken them to the vet so it’s just me.

Won’t they be growling/screaming at each other in the car if I brought them together?

The vet suggested that I give both cats a bath so that they smell the same. Is that a good idea?

Last edited: