Attacked By Outside Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can they take turns being in the room on opposite days? This would give Meffy a chance to accept Meimey's scent in all rooms, feel less cooped up, and hopefully more relaxed.
The schedule is Meimey stays in the room all day until I come home. Then I put Meffy in my room (not Meimey’s safe room) and let Meimey out for about an hour. I haven’t tried putting Meffy in the safe room yet though.

At night, Meimey is free in the house until morning while Meffy sleeps with me. That’s how it’s been for the past 5 days. Meffy still now had that low growling sound when I let her peek just now. Bf is asking how long are we keeping them like that. Honestly, I have no idea. It’s not fun going around the house having to remember closing doors all the time. Sigh..

Oh yeah...Meffy eats very little lately.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I give Sqeeker Bachs Rescue Remedy vet solution for nervousness. A side effect for him is a bigger appetite. He does eat so put 2 drops in his food. Other have rubbed a drop on each ear. Get a jar of baby meat flavored baby food with no onion or garlic for Meffy. Both of my boys would eat Gerber Stage 1.

https://www.chewy.com/rescue-remedy-stress-relief-pet/dp/135502

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I give Sqeeker Bachs Rescue Remedy vet solution for nervousness. A side effect for him is a bigger appetite. He does eat so put 2 drops in his food. Other have rubbed a drop on each ear. Get a jar of baby meat flavored baby food with no onion or garlic for Meffy. Both of my boys would eat Gerber Stage 1.

https://www.chewy.com/rescue-remedy-stress-relief-pet/dp/135502
I’ll check the pet supplies store though I doubt such products are sold in my country. Pet care isn’t that advanced here sonce people generally don’t give that much attention to their feuding cats.

I’ll try the baby food or some cooked mackerel. She loves those.

Does Feliway help? I’ve heard mixed reviews.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does Feliway help? I’ve heard mixed reviews.
I've never tried it. Some people suggest a teaspoon of cooled chamomile tea a few times a day. They say to use the bags not loose because one type is poisonous to cats.

The Bachs rescue remedies were developed for humans and animals in Britain. I've seen them in the U.S. in grocery stores. I don't how globally they have gone.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sigh...still no success so far. It’s been 2 weeks. Meimey is afraid of Meffy and won’t come out if she sees her. Meffy is still aggressive; growling & tail swishing. I’m at a standstill. Both are still separated. I’m getting tired.

Even when I let Meimey out, she appears very scared and would look over her shouldee ever now and then. As for Meffy, any chance she gets to leave my room she really darts out as if to attack. It seems both of them are still on edge.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m not really sure. They ate on opposite sides of the door and I also opened a crack for them see each other. Meffy hissed once then was quiet. Meimey didn’t react but I’m still not confident to let them out together. I’m worried if Meffy charged again I won’t be able to grab her away.

Am I doing this right? Or making things worse by keep separating them?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds like progress, actually. You’re doing great. Keep switching their areas and allowing them to scent swap.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That sounds like progress, actually. You’re doing great. Keep switching their areas and allowing them to scent swap.
Here is Meffy sitting outside the room where Meimey is kept.

Meimey is starting to get noisy inside the room, meowing to come out compared to last week where she mostly stayed silent.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Meimey talking is progress. I know it's hard, but patience is the only solution.
Does it mean she no longer feels it is a threat to come out of the room? Or that Meffy no longer gives her the threatening vibe?

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fed them dinner today with the door slightly open so they can see each other. They ate in peace, probably because I was sitting there. Then after that, Meimey suddenly slipped out of the room which caused Meffy some discontent. She stalked towards Meimey, going towards her favorite sitting spot. Bf told me to leave them and watch what happens. Meimey hissed, Meffy growled attempted to climb onto the chair, some angry growling/hissing ensued and Meimey escaped back into her room. I shut the room door.

Did I fail and need to start over again?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are doing well, it is inevitable that this will happen but it should reduce each time they encounter each other until they tolerate each other again. Let them set the pace, carry on doing what you are doing. It sounds a lot better now than 2 weeks ago.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure how to move beyond them tolerating each other during dinner time. They seemed ok. No hissing or growling. Just staring. I thought they were ok at that point then this have to happen today. *sad*

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it’s hard, but you have to take your own anxiety out of this and let them have their time. They can sense your feelings, and you don’t want to add stress.

They are making progress. It’s getting better. Just keep giving them time.

Can you get a screen or a child’s gate for the doorway? You want to increase their visibility while they are still separated.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know it’s hard, but you have to take your own anxiety out of this and let them have their time. They can sense your feelings, and you don’t want to add stress.

They are making progress. It’s getting better. Just keep giving them time.

Can you get a screen or a child’s gate for the doorway? You want to increase their visibility while they are still separated.
Thanks. I needed the encouragement. I think I’m more nervous than anxious for them to get back together. I’m just afraid the longer they remain separate they more they will forget they were once buddies.

This is actually the 2nd time they have this issue. I don’t remember it taking so long the first time when Meffy came back after spending 3 nights at the clinic August last year. They fought when she came home (because I didn’t know about non-recognition aggression back then) and after being separated for 3 days the fighting stopped although still hissing/growling. But I didn’t separate them anymore, mainly because Meffy was in a cone which limited her view/movements so can’t simply chase Meimey and attack small spaces. I didn’t even have to so the door peek-a-boo thing like now. They ate closer and closer, stopped hissing at one another after a week and got back together after 2 weeks.

It seems harder this round with Meffy not limited in a cone. That’s why I’m upset.

Baby gates and screen doors are expensive to purchase here.

Does Feliway help in situations like this?

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've heard it can help. I tried it once. I had a cat who had to have cancerous tumors removed from both his ears and after all the surgeries he went from being mostly deaf to suddenly completely deaf. He was fifteen and the sudden complete loss of hearing scared him and made him feel vulnerable. When he got home from the hospital he started attacking my other two cats with no provocation. One cat he'd previously gotten along with and the other he'd been very bonded to. He also attacked my dog who he'd been very close to and if I said no or moved him away or pointed a finger no at him he'd attack me too.
So I tried the feliway as that's what the vets were recommending at the time. I left it plugged in for a month. I can't say that I noticed a huge difference but the cat did stop attacking in that time. It's hard to say of he adjusted or if the feliway helped

But he had been going up to the cat he had been most bonded to and attacking him while the other cat was innocently curled up asleep so completely unprovoked. Then would bite and cuff me for pulling him off the other cat. As much as I loved him and felt terrible that he was so stressed and scared being deaf he couldn't just hurt me and the other pets for no reason like that.

It sounds like you're making progress. Try having them see each other while still a bit separated and having them be in each other' room when locked up so they're used to each other's smells.
You could always put the cone on the more aggressive one again lol to limit her movements and let them together! Kidding!

Try not to be anxious because they will sense it and react to it. I know it's easier said than done. You're doing great!

Last edited:

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Meimey hissed, Meffy growled attempted to climb onto the chair, some angry growling/hissing ensued and Meimey escaped back into her room.
This really is progress. Just hissing and growling, no attacking. If Meffy didn't run after Meimey even better. The next time you feel comfortable/brave leave the door slightly open after they eat. Have a large piece of cardboard to put between them if Meffy goes after Meimey. You could also try throwing a towel over Meffy but don't put yourself between them if one is in attack mode. If they are only hissing and growling let them for a little bit. It's one of the ways cats communicate. If it's not followed by an attack they should both become more comfortable and accepting of each other. :hangin:

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This really is progress. Just hissing and growling, no attacking. If Meffy didn't run after Meimey even better. The next time you feel comfortable/brave leave the door slightly open after they eat. Have a large piece of cardboard to put between them if Meffy goes after Meimey. You could also try throwing a towel over Meffy but don't put yourself between them if one is in attack mode. If they are only hissing and growling let them for a little bit. It's one of the ways cats communicate. If it's not followed by an attack they should both become more comfortable and accepting of each other. :hangin:
Meffy attacked. That’s why Meimey ran. It’s so upsetting. To be honest, I don’t think there is much difference from a week ago. Meffy looks like she’s okay but the moment she sees Meimey, she would start growling with her swishing tail and dilated pupils. She was ready to attack. When she does this, Meimey would just retreat further into her room not wanting to look at that angry face. Once time when I held the door, Meffy even swatted at me

When Meimey comes out of her room, she timidly walks around making sure Meffy isn’t around. When Meffy comes out, she has hunter mode on, walking swiftly across the room to check every nook and corner for scent. It’s also hard to keep Meffy confined alone in the room because she would meow really loud and start scratching/peeling the door.

I have scent swapped, let them take turns out in the living room, fed by the door...all the above.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've heard it can help. I tried it once. I had a cat who had to have cancerous tumors removed from both his ears and after all the surgeries he went from being mostly deaf to suddenly completely deaf. He was fifteen and the sudden complete loss of hearing scared him and made him feel vulnerable. When he got home from the hospital he started attacking my other two cats with no provocation. One cat he'd previously gotten along with and the other he'd been very bonded to. He also attacked my dog who he'd been very close to and if I said no or moved him away or pointed a finger no at him he'd attack me too.
So I tried the feliway as that's what the vets were recommending at the time. I left it plugged in for a month. I can't say that I noticed a huge difference but the cat did stop attacking in that time. It's hard to say of he adjusted or if the feliway helped

But he had been going up to the cat he had been most bonded to and attacking him while the other cat was innocently curled up asleep so completely unprovoked. Then would bite and cuff me for pulling him off the other cat. As much as I loved him and felt terrible that he was so stressed and scared being deaf he couldn't just hurt me and the other pets for no reason like that.

It sounds like you're making progress. Try having them see each other while still a bit separated and having them be in each other' room when locked up so they're used to each other's smells.
You could always put the cone on the more aggressive one again lol to limit her movements and let them together! Kidding!

Try not to be anxious because they will sense it and react to it. I know it's easier said than done. You're doing great!
Is your cat still around? I can understand how he feels being unable to hear all of a sudden. It’s really upsetting when we watch our pets fight.

You know, I might just put that cone back on Meffy if that’s what will control her. She will eventually learn that she can’t attack and hopefully calm down enough to be friends again. It will be also give me a sense of relief that Meimey can escape to her safe place. I will do that as the next step. After all, Meffy tolerated the cone for a month last November