Attacked By Outside Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure about the boarding but I'd be afraid you'd lose the progress you've made.

Mefffy saw Meimey playing and didn't attack her. That is a very big deal. Yes, she swished her tail but didn't go after Meimey.
Spoke too soon. When Meffy was on the other side of the room, I let Meimey come out to see if they can tolerate one another in the same room. At first, Meffy only sat and stared. Things move fast, within seconds Meffy ran forward then suddenly stopped. Meimey ran behind the couch and Meffy saw her. Fight ensued and chairs toppled over from the chase. Had to separate them and put Meffy in timeout for being so mean. Even my bf was shocked because they were doing so good and but Meffy looked like she wanted to kill Meimey for real.

Meimey has calmed down after 10 minutes and some assuring petting. I can’t stand to look at Meffy right now. I know it’s wrong to feel this way but I’m so mad at her right now. Yes I got scratched too (but I’m used to it) because I have to grab before she chased Meimey into her safe room. All these weeks of supposed “improvement” was really nothing at all!

I wonder if Feliway would really help.

Last edited:

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Door barrier with feeding and treats either side like a new cat introduction might be your only recourse.
I don’t have any door barrier and baby gates are too expensive where I’m from. I’m at my wits end and it’s either I rehome one or live with this nightmare for as long as it takes.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you try the cone? It might help if they are near each other without the attacking.

Look up the show my cat from hell. Might have some good tips.

Danglos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You need to treat it as controlled gradual introductions like new cats who don't know each other - swap scents etc. Out of interest did you wash either of them - just wondering whether they don't smell right e.g. scent marked or worse?

Danglos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It might help as there's no telling what smells a cat can detect/associate with the invader. I'd thoroughly clean and air your home and spay odour/smell suppression cleaners to freshen up everything.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also clean your home with an enzymatic pet odor cleaner. Just in case there's smells of the outside cat in your home.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It’s crazy how long 2 days feel when I have to separate my cats It really feels like a week has passed but it’s only 3 days!

Anyway, got Feliway plugged in for 2 days now so hoping it will help. Meffy looks the same but now it’s Meimey who refused to come out of her room ever since Feliway was plugged in. Usually she would come out at night (even after a fight) and hang around the living room until morning but for the past 2 days, she only sat in her room until morning waiting for me. She also didn’t want to hang out at her favorite spot at the dining chair when I let her out and only sniffed around a bit before going back to her room.

Could it be Feliway having a different effect on her and making her nervous?

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did you try the cone? It might help if they are near each other without the attacking.

Look up the show my cat from hell. Might have some good tips.
I saw many episodes for reference but the show didn’t put a timeline on how long it took for them to solve their problems.

I keep wanting to use the cone but my bf is against it. He said I shouldn’t let Meffy suffer like that. Will use it if I don’t see changes in a week.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw many episodes for reference but the show didn’t put a timeline on how long it took for them to solve their problems.

I keep wanting to use the cone but my bf is against it. He said I shouldn’t let Meffy suffer like that. Will use it if I don’t see changes in a week.
OK good. ;)its sweet that he cares about the kitties. guys like to act like they are logical. but its usually women that have to make hard choices to make things better. since it worked before i think its worth a shot at least. :redheartpump:

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK good. ;)its sweet that he cares about the kitties. guys like to act like they are logical. but its usually women that have to make hard choices to make things better. since it worked before i think its worth a shot at least. :redheartpump:
Sometimes it’s the hard choice that works best. I’m still keeping that as an option.

Right now, I have completely separated them for 6 full days. No seeing each other at all. I will move on to let them see each other today. It’s hard to do that when Meimey keeps hiding away from the open door. She doesn’t want to see Meffy at all. Poor girl is traumatized now.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes it’s the hard choice that works best. I’m still keeping that as an option.

Right now, I have completely separated them for 6 full days. No seeing each other at all. I will move on to let them see each other today. It’s hard to do that when Meimey keeps hiding away from the open door. She doesn’t want to see Meffy at all. Poor girl is traumatized now.
I don't blame her. They always felt safe and then am intruder came in and took away that feeling of safety. That can't be easy. :(

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't blame her. They always felt safe and then am intruder came in and took away that feeling of safety. That can't be easy. :(
Yeah. Worst thing her own friend is also attacking her :(

Ok I let them see each other through a slightly open door. Meimey just wants to hide while Meffy seems aggressive. No hissing but her tail was swishing.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok so after about 6 days with Feliway plugged in, Meffy is the same. But Meimey is hesitant to leave her room even if I open the door without Meffy around. She appears very nervous, looks around then slowly sneaks out. She also doesn’t hang out in her normal spot on the dining chair but instead runs back to her room. Before I used Feliway, she would demand out of the room even after the 2 fights with Meffy recently. Now she won’t even come to the room door.

I wonder if it’s the Feliway making her more nervous or is she becoming anti-social from being locked in the room for so long. I have unplugged Feliway this morning.

I also haven’t been able to start the reintroduction because Meimey doesn’t want to look at Meffy through the open door. She’ll sit behind the door instead.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
six days isn't very long. I'd wait another week or two. That will make getting together seem like something forbidden, which should make it more interesting and appealing to them.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
six days isn't very long. I'd wait another week or two. That will make getting together seem like something forbidden, which should make it more interesting and appealing to them.
Ok. Should I let them see each other for a few seconds/minutes everyday?

Meimey meowed at my door for breakfast this morning. This is something she hasn’t done since the intruder came. I feel like she’s getting comfortable again and getting back to her usual routine :) Of course, someone else wasn’t happy with her meowing at the door. Meffy’s tail was swishing as she stared at the door.

Danglos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Would suggest keep separate and eventually they will both hopefully be trying to knock the door down between them especially if you occasionally swap their sleeping rooms/isolation. Cats are mainly basing stuff on smell not visual.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Would suggest keep separate and eventually they will both hopefully be trying to knock the door down between them especially if you occasionally swap their sleeping rooms/isolation. Cats are mainly basing stuff on smell not visual.
Yup they are still separate. I didn’t swap their sleeping room. Only let each of them take turn to roam the living room. I have tried feeding them outside each door. They are able to eat with sight of each other but also maybe because I’m there. It seems like Meimey doesn’t want to see Meffy whenever I open the door. She’ll rather hide behind it until Meffy goes away.

I have thought of buying a foldable enclosure/pen so she could be outside the room in Meffy’s sight but still safe. Any thoughts of that?

Here’s what it looks like

Last edited:

Danglos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Depends what kind of enclosure. When Lucy was recovering from Spaying she had to stay in a dog crate and she hated it. Thankfully it allowed her to heal up and then we moved her to our friends. One time the boys entered so I was a naughty daddy (the kitten boys not my children though my youngest was interested) and closed the door. They went berserk and scattered all the food and water. I learned my lesson. I would minimise anything that will either antagonise a kitty or make them feel like they are being punished.

I guess the problem you have is limited space. Ultimately stay strong and wait at least another week as 10 days separation will hopefully see a change in behaviour. Have you setup a Felliway Friends. Takes one week to become fully effective and temporarily your room will smell but it simulates pheromones associated with friends and feeling safe. Working so far with Ollies introduction to the cat family though today he was taking semi-playful swipes at Charlie and Charlie hissed and ran off. Confident new kitten still needs another 2 weeks to be fully accepted.

Unfortunately you are back at kitten re-introductions. The only thing that is less than ideal but we had to do twice was put the aggressive kitty i.e. Meffy in a carrier so that Meimey can explore the room, feel safe and choose to niff or ignore her. I know that contradicts paragraph one above but sometimes it works for the kittens to see and smell each other but the victim can choose to engage or not and eventually they might get used to each other and at least become Frenemies. Other advice play with cat toys and exhaust them both so they don't have the energy to attack or flee, they might be able to be put to lie down near each other. They will probably become hostile when recharged but over time they will enjoy play and become less interested in their spat.