All Things Books and Reading Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PMousse PMousse I tried reading Kings of Wyld. I stopped reading it because the humor in it is not my type of humor. I like to read books that are relatively clean as far language and obscenity goes so Kings of the Wyld was not for me, but the world and characters seemed interesting.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm stiII working my way through Crusie, currentIy "TeII Me Lies." I'II finish that this evening, and move on to "Crazy For You" before bedtime. I can't wait untiI I get to her "Temptation" books, they're rather wonderfuI, and "Faking It" is hystericaI!

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
PMousse PMousse I tried reading Kings of Wyld. I stopped reading it because the humor in it is not my type of humor. I like to read books that are relatively clean as far language and obscenity goes so Kings of the Wyld was not for me, but the world and characters seemed interesting.
Haha that's fair. Thanks for letting me know! Which book are you on to next?

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
FinaIIy, the "Temptation" books! I just started "WeIcome to Temptation" Iast night. OH DEAR! I just reaIized that my favorite Crusie books are about a town named Temptation, in Ohio, and my favorite cozy mystery series is about a town named SinfuI, in Louisiana! Now, what does that say about me?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK, Peeps! It is September, aImost October. Kids are back in schooI, MORE TIME TO READ! I do not want this thread to die!

WHAT ARE YOU READING???

I'm reading "WiId Ride," by Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer. I am happy to report that the masculine and feminine voices in this book bIend seamIessIy, and that there is a heaIthy dose of absurdity for those who crave such things...and I DO!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK, Peeps! It is September, aImost October. Kids are back in schooI, MORE TIME TO READ! I do not want this thread to die!
Same thing is happening here as with the book club threads. Either people aren't reading as much anymore, or the members who used to post about what they'd read have left the site.

WHAT ARE YOU READING???
I'm bingeing through the Cormoran Strike series by Robert Galbraith . Currently reading book 5, Troubled Blood.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I read "Breakfast With Seneca: A Stoic Guide to the Art of Living." Seneca was a Stoic in Rome living in the times of Nero, Caligula, Claudius- or maybe 2 out of 3 of those. Evil emperors. Really liked it, helpful in these crazy times. Wisdom from 2,000 years ago that is applicable to today.
Next, is either "Redshirts," a book that is kind of based on the fact that in "Star Trek," the low ranking guys in the red shirts (unknown actors) on an away mission always got killed. I'm a huge Trekker, and this is supposed to be a humorous book. Or, I have a fantasy book "The Color of Magic" by Terry Pratchett.
I have to remember to post here! I get ideas of what to read.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm pretty sure everyone that posts here knows about the book club, as I have spammed this thread a few times promoting it. :crazy:

But maybe you don't know that October will be the final month.

To wrap things up, we'd love to have as many readers join us as possible. And instead of everyone reading the same book, everyone can choose a book from a list of "100 Books Everyone Should Read". So hopefully there'll be one that interests you.

You can find all the details at :Featured - October 2023 book of the month club - 4 year anniversary / final month – Choose Your Own from “100 Books Everyone Should Read” list

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"The Graveyard Book" by Neil Gaiman. It was on Kindle Unlimited, so since I liked Good Omens, I thought I'd give it a try. It was pretty good, different, a fairly quick read. I just saw that "The Ocean at the End of the Lane," same author, so I've borrowed it. I also borrowed Dangerously Funny: The Uncensored Story of "The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour." I read a bit of the first chapter last night. I think it will be interesting. I loved that show back in the day.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm reading "Dog and Goddesses," by Jennifer Crusie, Anne Stuart, and Lana Diane Rich. Not my favorite Crusie, but a fun book, if you enjoy a certain amount of comedic mayhem, taIking dogs (weII, their owners hear them), and a 4000-year-oId Mesopotamian Goddess bent on worId domination...she's actuaIIy quite funny, although I sure she's smite me for saying so!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm now reading "Nature's End," by James Kunetka and WhitIey Streiber. Dear God. It's a re-read for me, but I haven't read it in severaI years. This book was pubIished in 1986, and takes pIace in 2023...which is jarring, to say the Ieast. It deaIs with our utter disregard for the earth's ecosystems, and the terribIe resuIts from doing so. The thing is, I'm watching these things happening now, and aIthough I think that Kunetka and Strieber were about 30-50 years off, I know that something very Iike this terribIe story is coming. I won't be here to see it, but my grandchiIdren wiII.

I had pIanned to read the Communion books after this, but I may need to take a "fun book" break again, as I did after "War Day."

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
StiII pIowing through "Nature's End." I'II "end the End" tonight. Think I'II reread my Kris Radish books. Those are wonderfuI, beautifuI books about friendships and famiIiaI reIationships between women. The first one I read was "Hearts on a String," and I was hooked.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
pearl99 pearl99 You are the third or fourth person to mentino "Breakfast With Seneca" to me in the past coupIe of months. I think I have to get that book now!
Interesting! I did enjoy it and read a bit more about Roman times back then.
I’m reading The Color of Magic now, by Terry Pratchett. Fantasy.
Then next, the Diary of Ann Frank, the more recent version with more added. That is for a book club whose subject in October is “Banned Books.” I read the original about 55years ago!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting! I did enjoy it and read a bit more about Roman times back then.
I’m reading The Color of Magic now, by Terry Pratchett. Fantasy.
Then next, the Diary of Ann Frank, the more recent version with more added. That is for a book club whose subject in October is “Banned Books.” I read the original about 55years ago!
was that a banned book?? i never knew

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm now reading "Nature's End," by James Kunetka and WhitIey Streiber. Dear God. It's a re-read for me, but I haven't read it in severaI years. This book was pubIished in 1986, and takes pIace in 2023...which is jarring, to say the Ieast. It deaIs with our utter disregard for the earth's ecosystems, and the terribIe resuIts from doing so. The thing is, I'm watching these things happening now, and aIthough I think that Kunetka and Strieber were about 30-50 years off, I know that something very Iike this terribIe story is coming. I won't be here to see it, but my grandchiIdren wiII.

I had pIanned to read the Communion books after this, but I may need to take a "fun book" break again, as I did after "War Day."
I read Nature's End years ago, truly chilling. Also War Day. I still have them, maybe I'll give them a re-read as well.
The Communion books are different, based on true events that happened to Whitley. I've read all those too.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"The Graveyard Book" by Neil Gaiman. It was on Kindle Unlimited, so since I liked Good Omens, I thought I'd give it a try. It was pretty good, different, a fairly quick read. I just saw that "The Ocean at the End of the Lane," same author, so I've borrowed it. I also borrowed Dangerously Funny: The Uncensored Story of "The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour." I read a bit of the first chapter last night. I think it will be interesting. I loved that show back in the day.
About halfway into the Smothers Brothers book. It's very interesing. Not so much about them personally, but more about the show and the issues with censorship.

Status
Not open for further replies.