All Things Books and Reading Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Happy New Year! :happycat:

I finished a murder mystery book during my Christmas break--as a slow reader this was the fastest I've read any book. Very well written: Louise Penny's A Fatal Grace. This is the second book in her Inspector Gamache series, set in a tiny fictional village in Quebec.

And now I just started reading James Harriot's If Only They Could Talk, the first book of his well-known series about his life as a country vet in England.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’m a bit embarrassed to admit; I picked up a book at the library and returned it unread last week. I just didn’t have time or mental energy for a paperback leading up to Christmas. I may check it out again the next time we stop in!

It was A Lady of Hidden Intent by Tracie Peterson. I read the first in the series years ago and loved it.

My favorite indie author released a book just before Christmas so I’ve been reading that too.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t read nearly as much as I used to, either. I used to get through a book in a week or so. Now I have to remind myself to start a book at all instead of browsing websites.

I’m currently rereading the Watch set from the Discworld series - Men at Arms, Feet of Clay, Jingo, The Fifth Elephant, Night Watch and Thud (never liked Guards! Guards! much and gave my copy of Snuff away). I’m halfway through Jingo atm.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I haven't been able to read except on my tablet and that is becoming difficult, Left eye cataract surgery on 26 January so I hope I can start again. I have audibles downloaded but haven't listened to any yet.
Knowing what an avid reader you are, I can only imagine how frustrating it must be having cataracts. Not too much longer, though, till the first cataract surgery, and then hopefully you'll be able to get back to reading again.🤗

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I don’t read nearly as much as I used to, either. I used to get through a book in a week or so. Now I have to remind myself to start a book at all instead of browsing websites.
Same here!

I did just finish The Cape Doctor by E.J. Levy. I'm also doing a lot more driving than I used to and have started using Audible. I'm listening to Ines of My Soul by Isabel Allende.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm listening to Ines of My Soul by Isabel Allende.
There's an author's name I wouldn't know if not for gilmargl gilmargl reading a couple of her books for our October choose your own book month. She read Violetta and A Long Petal of the Sea. After reading her review, I read Violetta, which I loved. Hope you enjoy My Soul.

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
There's an author's name I wouldn't know if not for gilmargl gilmargl reading a couple of her books for our October choose your own book month. She read Violetta and A Long Petal of the Sea. After reading her review, I read Violetta, which I loved. Hope you enjoy My Soul.
I'm so glad you got introduced to her work! I love Isabel Allende and have read many of her books. But I didn't know about Violeta. I'm going to have to add that to the list.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Knowing what an avid reader you are, I can only imagine how frustrating it must be having cataracts. Not too much longer, though, till the first cataract surgery, and then hopefully you'll be able to get back to reading again.🤗
yes, rubesit is very frustrating. can't wait to be fixed

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same, it just seems like there's so much else I want/need to do, and actually having trouble finding a book to stick with. I'm about halfway through Keeper of Enchanted Rooms by Charlie N. Holmberg, but I don't know when or if I'll finish it. It's borrowed through Kindle Unlimited.

I also just started Cajun by Blood: A Thibodaux Family Story by Celeste LeBlanc Norris. It is the true story of Pierre Thibodaux (born 1631). Pierre Thibodaux is my 8th GGrandfather. Pierre was the first Thibodaux in North America (Acadie) and he and his wife Jeanne Terriot had 16 children. I saw this book recommended in a Thibodeaux facebook group and had to get it.

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
I just read the cutest little book. My sister found in her attic a box of books from when we were kids. She sent me this one that had my name inside the front cover. I guess I started way back being a cat lover. :petcat:

IMG_8949.jpeg

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Friday night DS and I went to the library and I came home with Please Do Feed the Cat by Marian Babson. So far I like it! Its been a while since I read a mystery.

I also brought home The Candymakers by Wendy Mass from the Children’s section. I’ve picked it up several times while we were there but neither kid has been interested. Chapter 1 hasbeen good enough that I think I may try it as a Read Aloud. I don’t normally do a lot of that but I think it might get them to try new things. And there’s nothing wrong with an adult enjoying some good middle-grade fiction either. :lol:

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Read "The Deadly Dinner Party", then one called "An Oral History of Hollywood". Read the "Hidden" series this weekend (YA books). Read a short story collection, "Fright of Flight", then started current book, "My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me" which is a book of fairy tales - very unusual and unfamiliar ones!

Status
Not open for further replies.