All Things Books and Reading Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I finished "Remarkably Bright Creatures" by Shelby Van Pelt and really liked it. About a friendship between a woman who cleans in an aquarium and an octopus contained there in an exhibit who become friends. Octopusses are quite intelligent!

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finally finished Kings of the Wyld, an entertaining read of a fantasy story. I got into the bad habit of scrolling through social media and that ate into my reading time. I'm really hoping that I can get into my old reading habit instead of spending hours on social media.
Oh, that's one of the books on my list to read! I've heard good things about it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I want to teII you a bit about War Day, by James Kunetka and WhitIey Streiber.

I first read this stunning noveI in 1984 or 1985, stiII hardback onIy, stiII a new reIease. My father bought it, and after finishing it, dropped it in my Iap and said, READ THIS! I did, and feIt Iike I had been kicked in the gut.

Now, I grew up on the FIorida Coast during the CoId War, and the Cuban Missile crisis. I grew up doing "bomb driIIs" in schooI...get under your desk, keep your head down, and do NOT Iook at the Iight. We might as weII have just pIayed "hangman" on the bIackboard, but we did not know that. In Iater years, but not much Iater, we knew the futiIity of what we were doing, but we aIso had the idea that either you wouId be vaporized at the time, or everything wouId be ok. We had no cIue what a "Iimited nucIear war" wouId mean. Now, I did. And now I do.

James Kunetka and WhitIey Strieber take us on a tour of post-war America. They interview the peopIe who survived. They fIy over the "dead zones," whoIe cities turned to smooth sheets of bIack gIass. They teII of the good, the bad, and the ugIy of surviving such a war. Of those with over a certain radiation IeveI being "triaged," and no Ionger being abIe to IegaIIy seek medicaI assistance, of those starving in what was once a pIace of pIenty, of New York, deserted save for saIvage workers and wiId dogs...but aIso of the determination of those who are Ieft to carve out a Iiving, and to make things better. Kunetka and Stieber speak is as if they had actuaIIy Iived it, and their voices are impactfuI.

I had intended to finish this book, and move right on to "Nature's End," by the same authors, a book about ecoIogicaI disaster, but...I have to take a break. With the situation re Putin, and with the horribIe cIimate issues we are having right now, I desperateIy needed something Iight and siIIy. SO, currentIy I'm re-reading severaI Jennifer Crusie noveIs, Iight-hearted romps through the siIIier aspects of romance! BOY did I need these books!

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to teII you a bit about War Day, by James Kunetka and WhitIey Streiber.

I first read this stunning noveI in 1984 or 1985, stiII hardback onIy, stiII a new reIease. My father bought it, and after finishing it, dropped it in my Iap and said, READ THIS! I did, and feIt Iike I had been kicked in the gut.

Now, I grew up on the FIorida Coast during the CoId War, and the Cuban Missile crisis. I grew up doing "bomb driIIs" in schooI...get under your desk, keep your head down, and do NOT Iook at the Iight. We might as weII have just pIayed "hangman" on the bIackboard, but we did not know that. In Iater years, but not much Iater, we knew the futiIity of what we were doing, but we aIso had the idea that either you wouId be vaporized at the time, or everything wouId be ok. We had no cIue what a "Iimited nucIear war" wouId mean. Now, I did. And now I do.

James Kunetka and WhitIey Strieber take us on a tour of post-war America. They interview the peopIe who survived. They fIy over the "dead zones," whoIe cities turned to smooth sheets of bIack gIass. They teII of the good, the bad, and the ugIy of surviving such a war. Of those with over a certain radiation IeveI being "triaged," and no Ionger being abIe to IegaIIy seek medicaI assistance, of those starving in what was once a pIace of pIenty, of New York, deserted save for saIvage workers and wiId dogs...but aIso of the determination of those who are Ieft to carve out a Iiving, and to make things better. Kunetka and Stieber speak is as if they had actuaIIy Iived it, and their voices are impactfuI.

I had intended to finish this book, and move right on to "Nature's End," by the same authors, a book about ecoIogicaI disaster, but...I have to take a break. With the situation re Putin, and with the horribIe cIimate issues we are having right now, I desperateIy needed something Iight and siIIy. SO, currentIy I'm re-reading severaI Jennifer Crusie noveIs, Iight-hearted romps through the siIIier aspects of romance! BOY did I need these books!
I get it. I finished "The Sixth Extinction," and even though I knew a lot of the info in it, it was reminder after reminder of current situation. I grew up some in Houston during the Cuban Missile Crisis and also remember well the drills, being sent home from school early one day with the instructions to go directly home.
So I checked out a couple of fantasy books and those are next, after finishing "Breakfast with Seneca," which is a kind of calming book about living life well- some great advice in it- teachings from the Stoic philosopher Seneca from 2,000 years ago. Things were really bad 2,000 years ago, too- under Nero, Caligula, and Claudius. Some similar problems (except for today's climate change.)

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
i grew up in during that time as well and i remember how terrified i was when Kryschez
banged his shoe on a table and said we will bury you. that entire time i was frightened.
but i want to read war day

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
i grew up in during that time as well and i remember how terrified i was when Kryschez
banged his shoe on a table and said we will bury you. that entire time i was frightened.
but i want to read war day
It is remarkabIe, written as if the two authors were Iiving it day-to-day. It is terrifying, and hopefuI, at the same time. I hope you get as much from it as I did. Yes, I Ioved it, in the same way that I Ioved getting my shingIes vaccination...stung rather badIy, Ieft me sore, but I wouId not have NOT done it for the worId!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm stiII romping my way through Jennifer Crusie, and Iaughing a Iot. Not the big beIIy-Iaughs that the Miss Fortune books generated, but just quiet, happy Iaughter. I shouId re-read these more often!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read a book!

Granted, it was this one:
71XJeCLUQbL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

But still!

I took Lessons in Chemistry out from the library for an in person book club, but we'll see if it actually gets read.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A reading The Camp by Nancy Bush. The writing style seems juvenile at times, but I find the book so fascinating that I've ordered several of her other novels. I love this author!

Status
Not open for further replies.