All Things Books and Reading Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had no idea--where was it banned, and what were the grounds? My mind is boggled just trying to figure it out.
SO...I did a bit of researching on this, and, apparentIy, it was aImost excIusiveIy the graphic noveI version that was banned, because some peopIe thought that some of the iIIustrations were sexuaIIy explicit. I couId NOT find exampIes of those iIIustrations, but found a generaI description, which sounded...more symboIic than expIicit to me.

That being said, the originaI diary itseIf was censored before pubIication, as it contained Anne's thoughts on human sexuaIity, perfectIy normaI for a girI of her age, but NOT for pubIication at that time in history! I did see a reference to the existence of an uncensored version, but I've never read it.

I saw a post some time ago, after aII of these absurd bannings started ("To KiII a Mockingbird?" OH, pIease!) that we need to fiII buses with these books and drive around the country distributing them, and caII it "Banned on the Run." I'd voIunteer for that in a heart beat. Those who ban books are NEVER on the right side of history! WhiIe it is perfectIy acceptable to say that your beIiefs dictate that you and your famiIy shouId not read a book, it is in NO WAY acceptable to say that your beIiefs dictate that I cannot read that book!

I finished "Nature's End," and am now reading "The Eiegant Gathering of White Snows," by Kris Radish. Oh, it is a sweet book! Kris Raddish absoIuteIy touches the deep, beating heart of the gIorious friendships that women are capabIe of!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
We read Anne Frank in the 5th grade and I did a book report on To Kill a Mocking in the 7th, no problems.
Now there's a problem?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finished "The EIegant Gathering of White Snows." Now reading another Krys Radish, "Annie Freeman's FabuIous TraveIing FuneraI," and OH, I wouId Iove to be abIe to do that! Most of you know how I Iove Jana DeLeon because she brings Iaugter to my heart. Krys Radish brings a deep contentment to my souI. If I couId onIy read two authors for the rest of my Iife, it wouId probabIy be these two, and that's saying a Iot!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We read Anne Frank in the 5th grade and I did a book report on To Kill a Mocking in the 7th, no problems.
Now there's a problem?
Apparently, it makes some people feel uncomfortable. But, in my opinion, it SHOULD make people feel uncomfortable. Most of our really great works of literature make some people feel uncomfortable. Think of Dicken's Christmas Carol. It was an indictment of bosses who took advantage of workers, paying barely a subsistence wage. Made a lot of folks uncomfortable when it was written!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And I'm now reading Kris Radish's "Tuesday Night Miracles." Radish is a wonderful author. I highly recommend her. She writes about the intense, incredible friendships that women are capable, when we are willing to take a chance.

Robeline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm reading The Cat of Schrodinger Street. It's something like action/detective story and, surprisingly, a page turner. I just bought it from curiosity because of what described at the back cover blurb.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finished "Outlander" for my book of the month read, and am now reading Kris Radish's "A Grand Day to Get Lost."

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm now reading a new series, the Noodle Shop series, by Vivien Chen. I have to admit, getting really into this series was a bit slow. And that's my "fault." I have never lived in an area that had a strong Asian community, so I stumbled over names a bit, and I had to get used to the (to my ears/eyes) very formal English that most older Asian transplants to this country use. Once I was accustomed to that, the first book of the series, "Death by Dumpling" caught my imagination, and I was off to the races! I'm now reading "Dim Sum of Fears," and having a ball with it!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
COME ON, PEOPLE! Surely SOMEONE besides me is reading!

I'm finishing up the Noodle Shop mystery series by Vivien Chien, a lovely cozy series about a young woman who "ends up" running her family's noodle shop (BIG SURPRISE). While it is not how she had planned for her life to go, she throws herself into it. The shop is located an an Asian shopping plaza in Cleveland, Ohio. When the property manager turns up dead, and her restaurant is implicated, Lana goes to work to find out what really happened, and her "second job" as a sleuth is born!

Now, this series is NOT as funny as my beloved Miss Fortune series, but it is interesting, and I don't know whodunnit by the half-way mark, always a good thing.

Next up is a new series for me, Bubba Snoddy, which I THINK will have humor in spades. Or so I was told. THIS is the blurb from the first book, "Bubba and the Dead Woman":

Bubba is a good old boy with lots of problems. His ex-fiancee is deader than a door nail and everyone thinks he dun did it. His house is haunted. His mother is running an illegal gambling ring. His dog likes to bite people too much. And he's got to find out who really did it before the sheriff throws him in jail...again.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
i have a few i plan on reading the collector by john fowles. arms have been acting
up but when the pain calms down. it was written in the 60's and a film was made based
on the book

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
COME ON, PEOPLE! Surely SOMEONE besides me is reading!
You're not the only one reading, as I always have a book on the go, so there's 2 of us, at least. :)

Seriously, though, having watched the book club fizzle, I think there's people reading, I just think hardly anyone wants to, or has time to, talk about books anymore. :(

As for me, I'm currently reading 56 Days by Catherine Ryan Howard

And before that I read The Only One Left by Riley Sager
Have you read that one, Mia6 Mia6

And before that I read The Woman in Me by Britney Spears.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
no but it is on my list. how was the britney book?
It was better than I expected it to be, but also sadder. The 13 years she was under the conservatorship was like being a prisoner. Her father may have started out with good intentions, but he, and everyone else involved, just got greedy and controlling.

Status
Not open for further replies.