All Things Books And Reading Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just finished 'A Mother's Reckoning' by Sue Kiebold, Dylan Kiebold's mother. For those who may not remember he was one of the Columbine shooters. It was very interesting. She went through the process of dropping the denial and getting a clear look at what happened. She talks about what the media called the 'journal' it wasn't actually a journal. The police tore apart his room, school locker, and car after it happened. The journal was a collection of things he had written over the two years before, some were just little notes and he was severely depressed. A psychologist said he probably had an avoidant personality. He then hooked up with a kid who was a true sociopath. She also talked about the 'basement tape', not in great detail but that is where the last of her denial fell away.

She talks about how good kids are at hiding things from their parents, she now says that she would absolutely routinely search her children's rooms. She said she doesn't care what experts say or how angry it makes her kids she would search.

It isn't maudlin, she doesn't make excuses and she isn't looking for forgiveness. She did want to set the record straight about them being wealthy, they were not. Much was made about their son having a BMW, it was bought for 400 dollars and he and his father worked on it together. Their house was large on a large property but it was a barely habitable fixer upper which they worked on themselves. That was made more difficult when her husband developed rheumatoid arthritis. Their marriage did not survive this.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm re-reading the "Cats in Trouble" series while patiently awaiting my next check, when I think I shall be able to order more books. SIGH...I'd love to go to the library, but I'd have to take a cab, and I can order almost as many books for the cab fare as I could borrow from our library.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just finished a trilogy by Ellie Midwood about the French Resistance during WWII. I never knew much about that aspect of the war, so this was interesting. They are (1) Indigo Rebels, (2) the Lyon Affair, and (3) Liberation. enjoyed them. I need to find a new novel or two to get involved in. I'm reading some non fiction, but I like to switch off, and I like to read fiction during lunch break at work.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
misty8723 misty8723 - I recently read The Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck. It's a novel, but it is based on stories told to the author by her German mother and grandmother. The book is about three German war widows, two who were married to resistors and one to a Nazi. Their different takes about the war and its aftermath were very interesting, and a facet of WWII I had never read about before.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I listen to audio books at work. I can borrow them from the library on my P.C. I know ebooks can also be borrowed from the library here.
Oh, that would be lovely. Our little library does have both audio books and ebooks, but you must physically go to the library to download. It's very small, and very basic. I THINK the computers are still dial-up, truth told

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't know much about the French Resistance either, until I read The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. It's really good, but a bit disturbing too.

Another similar book is The Baker's Secret by Stephen P. Kiernan. It's also good, and not quite as disturbing.
I think I have read something by Kristin Hannah, but I can't remember what. It was not The Nightingale, though, so I'm going to look for it. I need a new book to start. I have the Baker's Secret around somewhere, I'll have to dig it up. Thank you for the tips!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
misty8723 misty8723 - I recently read The Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck. It's a novel, but it is based on stories told to the author by her German mother and grandmother. The book is about three German war widows, two who were married to resistors and one to a Nazi. Their different takes about the war and its aftermath were very interesting, and a facet of WWII I had never read about before.
Sounds interesting DreamerRose DreamerRose . I will add it to my list.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I download e-books from my library website. Sometimes the wait is LONG for current best sellers, but I love getting to read books without having to leave the house. :read:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my. Does your library have a website? I believe you can download from ours.
They do have a website, and hope to offer downloads "in the near future." That's been on there for almost a year now. It's a tiny town, with VERY limited funding.

I've just finished some cat cozy mysteries: the Whales and Tails series by Kathi Daley.
AAAANNNNNDDDDDD...she adds yet ANOTHER cozy series to the Mush Have list.

Still doing "Cats in Trouble." I'm on #7 now. Rereading, but just as much fun the second time around!

dalpaengi

A cat snail enthusiast
Young Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama
I ended up buying it for that very reason, being in the double digits on a list of holds. I just used an audible subscription credit.

I finished Penelope Lively's Consequences: well-written but often bland. This was disappointing as I had enjoyed Lively's Booker Prize-winning Moon Tiger. I struggled with the beginning—long passages of extreme happiness can get boring. What is it about misery that sharpens the senses and spurs interest? :ohwell:

I also started Maggie Nelson's Bluets, apposite Lively's prose, which is suffused with pink and gold, the colours of romance and nostalgia.

I attempted to listen to that book I mentioned up above but fell asleep. I need to make it a rule not to listen to anything as I'm lying in bed anyway. I'll save it for the day time.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
dalpaengi dalpaengi : I'm ok with waiting for the e-books to come available. There's ton of other books I can read while I wait. The biggest issue is when more than one come available at once, and then I have to try to read them quickly before the 3 weeks is up and they expire. I do try to suspend the holds so that they don't all come up at once, but sometimes I forget, then I have to get back on the wait list again!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
'A Mother's Reckoning' by Sue Kiebold
'A Mother's Reckoning' by Sue Kiebold
It's actually Klebold.

Our little library does have both audio books and ebooks, but you must physically go to the library to download.
Odd. At the library is the one place I can't download books; ours is set up so we have to do it online.
Well, after reading The Collected Kagan I got nostalgic for Janet Kagan's novels:
  • Hellspark
  • Uhura's Song
  • Mirabile
Uhura's Song is, of course, a Star Trek novel, and a very good one. It features a race of sapient felinoids with prehensile tails, the Eauoans. It's funny, heart-breaking, and full of adventure, and you don't have to be a Trekkie to enjoy it.

Hellspark is a novel about first contact, the meaning of sapience (though she goofed and used "sentience" instead throughout the book), communication difficulties between cultures, and the care and feeding of sapient computers. I just finished re-reading my hardback copy of it.

And Mirabile may not technically be a novel; each chapter is a stand-alone story that was originally published in Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine, but the heroine/POV character is the same in all the stories. These stories are set on a world named "Mirabile," where there is a colony of humans who got there via generation ships. Our heroine is Ann Jason Masmajean. "Jason" is the name of her profession; basically it means "ecologist." (As far as I can tell, this is based on the fact that the first planetary ecologist on Mirabile was named "Jason.")

The colonists on Mirabile are struggling. They're on an alien world, where most of the local plants and animals are poisonous to them, and the local ecology is frequently hostile to the crops and animal species that they want to introduce. And beyond that, the geneticists back on earth were worried that they might need something unforeseen, or that there was no room to take along, even in embryonic form, so they got creative. Inside the genes of all the plants and animals that came along with them are embedded the genes of other plants and animals, that tend to crop up whenever the "right" ecological conditions are at hand. Unfortunately, during the trip out some electronic files were damaged, including the index of all the other files, with the result that the Jasons don't know the presumably simple method for shutting off those secondary genes when you'd rather not have your Cornish hens laying lizard eggs, for instance.

Also, the original geneticists back on earth didn't apparently consider the fact that a red deer doe (for instance) with secondary genes for, say, a boar, might encounter a red deer stag with secondary genes for moles. So what happens to the babies of these two? Most of the time, they get fawns. But when conditions happen to be right, maybe they get a chimera, what the Mirabilans refer to as a "dragon's tooth," a baby that has the size, strength, and looks of a wild boar, with the feet and tunneling ability of a mole.

This is a wonderful book (but then, I like everything Janet Kagan wrote), full of genetic speculation (and she went out of her way to keep it within the range of the possible, but the stories date from 1989 to 1991, so I have no idea just how possible this is - genetics has come a long way in the last 3 decades or so). The chapters have wonderful names:
  • "The Loch Moose Monster"
  • "The Return of the Kangaroo Rex"
  • "The Flowering Inferno"
  • "Getting the Bugs Out"
  • "Raising Cane"
  • "Frankenswine"
I do have a paperback copy of this book around here somewhere, but I've lost so many books, to basement floods and predatory relatives-by-marriage that at this point I just feel safer with Ebooks, so the other day I spent ~$5 to buy Mirabile in the Nook edition, and I'm greatly enjoying re-reading it.

Here is BookBub's Janet Kagan page: Janet Kagan unfortunately they don't seem to know about Hellspark, which is available in electronic format. I've reported the problem and expect it to be fixed within a few days - BookBub is good about these things.

Margret

Status
Not open for further replies.