All Things Books And Reading Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, I just finished the next-to-last book in Heather Blake's "Wishcraft" series, except for the newest one which is only available in hardback. It will have to wait. I'm reading the newest two of Heather Graham's Krewe of Hunters series just now. Huh...I seem to be on an "Authors Named Heather" kick here. I swear it was unplanned!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I recently picked up and read The Painted Queen, begun by the late Elizabeth Peters and finished posthumously by her friend Joan Hess. It's part of the Amelia Peabody series of mysteries. This is the one that goes back and deals with the repercussions of the death of Nefret's first husband, and there will be no more new Amelia Peabody mysteries :sniffle:. Then I went back and reread The Mummy Case, from early in the same series. It's long enough since I first read it that I didn't remember the villain all that well, so it worked out nicely.

I'm now in the middle of one of Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe (and Archie Goodwin) mysteries: The Doorbell Rang. A&E turned it into a made for TV movie:
and many people think it's the best of the Nero Wolfe novels.

And I'm still in the middle of Lord of the Rings. Saruman has been confronted; Pippin has stolen the Palantir and looked into it; and the fellowship has further fragmented as Gandalf and Pippin head off to Minas Tirith.

Margret

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't buy real books anymore. And I don't buy e-books either. I just don't re-read them, so borrowing from the library works for me.
I don't buy real books or eBooks, but I download free eBooks from various sources. Haven't gotten the hang of borrowing from the library (ebooks) and usually don't get a chance to read them before they're due anyway.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Haven't gotten the hang of borrowing from the library (ebooks) and usually don't get a chance to read them before they're due anyway.
If I have time to read a bit every day, I can usually finish a book in the 3 week borrowing time. But I have had a few books where I had to read faster than my normal leisurely pace in order to finish them in time.

Less popular books can be renewed immediately, so you can keep reading. But the current best sellers always have wait lists, so though you can "renew", you are back at the end of the line, which for some books, could mean months before you get it back again.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, I read a book a day to every day and a half...sometimes two, and in the case of the Outlander series (700+ pages each) four days. But I'm retired and single, and Hekitty is all for hours of reading time, as it guarantees a stable lap for an extended period of time.

Currently working on re-reading Sophie Kelly's "Magical Cats" series, which always has me giggling like a little girl. Owen and Herc (said cats) are, indeed, magical, and probably nearly human in intelligence, but they don't talk, and they remain entirely, completely cats.

I did manage to order a few more of Tamar Myers' "Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery" series. LOVE the recipes.

I did some measuring, and I have room for a smallish bookcase right by my kitchen door. I'm thinking about putting one there, and moving my cookbooks and my cozy mysteries that feature recipes there.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work full time and have to take care of everything around the house too, usually I only get to read a little bit if I read during lunch and maybe a little bit before bed (if I don't fall asleep). Plus, I'm rarely reading only one book at a time. I think I have 4 or 5 going at the moment.

I doubt it would be an issue with best sellers from the library. I'm rarely interested in what other people flock to, so the best sellers don't appeal to me.

I do have a subscription to Kindle Unlimited. I wasn't going to renew it after the special price deal I got expired, but I fear I've become addicted.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, I read a book a day to every day and a half...sometimes two, and in the case of the Outlander series (700+ pages each) four days.
The Outlander series was definitely some of the books I had to speed read in order to finish in the 3 weeks. But they were so good, it wasn't too hard.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer history first and foremost, but I also like John D. McDonald mysteries and Louis L'Amour novels. There is a used-book store my wife and I haunt, plus yard or estate sales, and if a book is particularly good I might read it multiple times.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LOL, I read a book a day to every day and a half...sometimes two, and in the case of the Outlander series (700+ pages each) four days. But I'm retired and single, and Hekitty is all for hours of reading time, as it guarantees a stable lap for an extended period of time.

Currently working on re-reading Sophie Kelly's "Magical Cats" series, which always has me giggling like a little girl. Owen and Herc (said cats) are, indeed, magical, and probably nearly human in intelligence, but they don't talk, and they remain entirely, completely cats.

I did manage to order a few more of Tamar Myers' "Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery" series. LOVE the recipes.

I did some measuring, and I have room for a smallish bookcase right by my kitchen door. I'm thinking about putting one there, and moving my cookbooks and my cozy mysteries that feature recipes there.
I read a lot of books, too, but not as many as you. The Ladies like it when I lie down to read. That way they can ALL get on me or up against me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I enjoy her books. The latest one was released this week, but I haven't gotten to it yet.
The Cats Came Back (Magical Cats, #10) by Sofie Kelly

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, you better believe that one is on my "MUST HAVE" list! The new Joe Grey that is coming out in April is there also. I'm a little disappointed on that one. The original release date was Novemer or December, and I was going to pre-order it for my Christmas present to myself. I'll put "The Cats Came Back" in that slot, instead!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I've been reading, but not posting about what I've read.

Library e-books:
Don't Let Go - Harlan Coben
A Knit Before Dying - Sadie Hartwell
The Cabin at the End of the World - Paul Tremblay
Adrift - Paul Griffin
Buried Prey - John Sanford
Night Moves - Jonathon Kellerman
Find Her - Lisa Gardner
What are You Afraid Of? - Alexandra Ivy
Deadline - John Sanford
--- and so on

I'm a John Sanford fan and I enjoy both the Lucas Davenport and Virgil Flowers series. I also like Lisa Gardner, but I usually have to go to something lighter after reading one of her books. Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 I really like Heather Graham, particularly her Krewe of Hunters series.

I've also been downloading books from freebooksy to the Kindle regularly and reading some of those. Some of them, well, I can understand why they're free because I certainly wouldn't pay for them, they're that bad. Sometimes, though, I've found some surprisingly good novels.

I usually lie down to read, too. Perhaps for 3 minutes, if I'm lucky, before Mollipop realizes I'm down. Then she jumps on my belly. And if I continue to read, she'll stick her head under my iPad and say, "Hey, whatcha doing? And why is it more important than cuddling with me?" The iPad goes to the floor and my arms go around her. And that's the end of my reading until she tires of me and goes up to "her" pillow at my head and goes to sleep. Or she gets off me and comes over to my left side and curls up under my left arm. She'll say, "You may read now!" and goes to sleep.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm peeking in real quickly since I was tagged, but I should be back on track tomorrow, scampering around the forums like a kitten on nip. I'm currently on book 3 of the Pensylvannia Dutch series by Tamar Myers. I get a real kick out of Magdalena Yoder! I now have the entire series, and had only read the first two, so GUESS what I'll be doing for awhile!

MISSED YOU GUYS! Still putting my house back in order.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just picked up The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory after finishing The Perks of Being A WallFlower by Stephen Chbosky.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Finished book #3, and on to #4, "Just Plain Pickeled to Death."

OH...one of the best things about coming home and finding my apartment in ONE PIECE AND DRY??? I don't have to replace over 500 books!

Um...I have a full set of the Martin books that Game of Thrones was based on. Wonderful stories, but tedious for me to read. I'm not going to re-read them. If anyone would like them, PM me, and I'll see about getting them to you asap.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
THANK YOU! AND....I'm on to "Between a Wok and a Hard Place," and STILL loving this series! The wedding scene at the end of "Just Plain Pickled to Death" STILL has me giggling. Think old songs. OLD songs. Think "McArthur Park."

Think the chorus.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My turn finally came up at the library for Book 1 of the Beach House series by Mary Alice Monroe. Had to read it more quickly than I would have liked, as I was reading another book when became available, so didn't have the full 21 days to read it when I was ready.
The Beach House (Beach House #1) by Mary Alice Monroe

The library only has 2 other e-books by her, Swimming Lessons (book 2) and Beach House Reunion (book 5). So I guess I'll be missing books 3 and 4. :(

I finally joined BookBub, though, and put her as a "followed" author, so maybe they'll come up as freebies someday. :crossfingers:

Status
Not open for further replies.