All Things Books And Reading Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If we could afford it, I'd put an addition on the house, just for books. Rick has offered to put a she-shed on our property, complete with AC and heat. Just so I have a place for reading. Away from felines and Beasts. Just me, a chaise and shelves and shelves of books. As silly as it sounds, I'm thinking of taking him up on it.
It doesn't sound silly one little bit. GO FOR IT!

Still working on the "Haunted Home Renovation" series.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been doing some thinking. I know that several people here are science fiction fans, and at least some of us have read Emergence, by David R. Palmer. (Emergence by David R Palmer - Goodreads, Emergence (novel) - Wikipedia) For those who haven't, it's a wonderful book; it's the only post-apocalyptic coming of age book that I've ever encountered that features a female protagonist, which also means that it's the only post-apocalyptic coming of age book that I've ever encountered that focuses on things like survival, finding other survivors, and starting over. (The male protagonists of these books seem to focus only on adolescent libido, complicated by the total lack of adult rules to hold it in check.)

The problem is, this book is crying out for a sequel; the author left an obvious unresolved question that could very well serve as a quest for a second book, but no second book has been forthcoming. He had stated that a sequel would be forthcoming, if and only if Emergence did well enough to justify it financially (Mr. Palmer has a day job as a court reporter). But Emergence has been out of print for a very long time.

When I began this post it was my intention to suggest that we all need to get together and ask publishers to re-issue Emergence, but in the process of searching for links for the post I encountered this: David R. Palmer - Wikipedia which contains two very useful bits of information:
  • Emergence is back in publication already! :dance:
  • There is a sequel, named Tracking, currently available only by buying three issues of Analog, but I'm betting that Eric Flint's Ring of Fire Press (which seems to be a subset of Baen Books) will be publishing it shortly.
I just bought the electronic version of Emergence (my paperback is on its last legs, and I want to, um, encourage the author and publisher). You can find it here: Emergence by David R. Palmer - Ring of Fire Press. Oddly, although they're still saying that the author is David R. Palmer they're also saying that the author is Nancy L. Palmer. My guess is that she's David's wife, and possibly a co-author; that would explain how well he managed the female adolescence stuff (not to imply that it's impossible to write good characters across gender without a co-author, just that it would make things easier).

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oddly, although they're still saying that the author is David R. Palmer they're also saying that the author is Nancy L. Palmer. My guess is that she's David's wife, and possibly a co-author; that would explain how well he managed the female adolescence stuff (not to imply that it's impossible to write good characters across gender without a co-author, just that it would make things easier).
Just got finished reading the afterword in the .epub version of Emergence, and his wife's name is Sharon, so I guess that "Nancy" is some kind of pen name. I've no idea why he would want a pen name, but I guess that no reason is necessary.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Regarding Tracking: the current afterword of Emergence confirms that Baen is publishing it, but gave no date. I checked the available eArcs at Baen (several books, available together at a reduced price in electronic format, that come out a couple of months before the hard copy is released), which go through February of next year, and didn't find it so it's hard to say just when it will actually come out. It will almost certainly be cheaper to buy from Baen than it would be to order the three copies of Analog, though with Analog you would also get other stories.

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've lost track of all the books I've read lately, but I did read the latest A Cat in the Stacks mystery last night: Six Cats A Slayin'
That's on my list! Did you like it?

I'm still working on the "Haunted Home Renovation" series. The last one, "A Ghostly Light," about a haunted lighthouse. Bet you didn't see that coming! THEN I'll read the last three PennDutch books, which have finally come in! I did email Tamar Myers, who promptly responded and told me that there would be two more books in the series, the first coming out next year. I was glad to hear that, as I'll really miss Magdalena Yoder!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'll be going to my firestick on the 20th, and will catch up on Outlander then. I had to drop Starz to keep my cable, but FINALLY I will be cable-free!

I read the cutest cozy mystery series about Wiccans. And either the author IS Wiccan, or she really did her homework! The Wiccan Wheel series, by Jennifer David Hesse. There are four, so far, with a fifth on its way. I'm currently doing Juliet Blackwell's "A Cast-off Coven," number 2 in her Witchcraft series. This one is NOT based on anything "real," but is a LOT of fun anyhoo!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I just finished re-reading Emergence, by David R. Palmer; enjoyed it as much now as I did back in the '80s. Found a few annoying typos in the ebook version, but they were the obvious kind where you have no trouble figuring out what was meant.

I'm currently in "Book 4" of LOTR. (Books 1 and 2 comprise The Fellowship of the Ring, 3 and 4 are The Two Towers, and 5, 6, and the appendices are The Return of the King. After Fellowship, the distinction tells us whether we're following Frodo and Sam or the rest of the fellowship; in Book 4 we follow Frodo and Sam. Book 3 ended with Saruman overthrown and Gandalf and Pippin heading off to Minas Tirith.)

Additionally, on my Nook I'm re-reading The Deeds of the Disturber, by Elizabeth Peters, and re-reading Snow Crash, by Neal Stephenson, in a used trade paperback that I picked up at MileHiCon 3&1/2 weeks ago. I first read this a very long time ago; it was a gift from a friend who has since taken her own life and I'm sorry my original copy was destroyed by a flood in the basement. It's an incredibly strange book, in ways that I can't say here for fear of providing spoilers. What I can and will say is that the main viewpoint character is named Hiro Protagonist, which should give you a taste for just how weird this book is.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rediscovered a few days ago that I have The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox loaded on my Nook, so I've been re-reading Barry Hughart's (Barry Hughart - Wikipedia) wonderful fantasies. This book is actually an omnibus comprising all three of Mr. Hughart's books: Bridge of Birds, The Story of the Stone, and Eight Skilled Gentlemen.

I finished Bridge of Birds a couple of days ago. I remembered the basic plot, but it's been long enough that I had forgotten many of the delightful details. I'm now about halfway through The Story of the Stone, which I seem to have forgotten entirely, though I'm certain that I read it many years ago.

To give you a taste, this is an excerpt from The Story of the Stone. Our first person narrator in all three books is Number Ten Ox. In this passage he's describing Moon Boy, an extremely handsome and talented young man of whom Number Ten Ox is quite jealous.
In addition, I decided, he moved like a cat, and Master Li once said that certain Egyptians say that a cat lives in the moon, and everybody knows that the soul of a cat is formed from the composite souls of nine debauched nuns who failed in their vows.
Highly recommended. Barry Hughart

Margret

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Margret Margret : Sounds interesting, but not sure it's something I'd enjoy. I think we have different tastes in books. ;)

BTW, was it you who recommended "Three Men in a Boat"?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will read almost anything, but I am especially drawn to histories- the Revolutionary War, because my great-great-great grandfather fought in it; the War of 1812, because his elder son fought in that; the Civil War- great-grandfather; WWII- a brother and cousin of my father were killed in that one ; Vietnam- not so much; that one was mine.
I have read most of Steven Ambrose's work, as well as sci-fi by Asimov, Bradbury, Heinlein, Wells, and Huxley; the earlier techno-novels by Tom Clancy, and for a change of pace, the western novels by Louis L'Amour.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
N NY cat man : re the histories you prefer fiction or non-fiction? I've been reading a lot of historical fiction lately. I know they probably aren't 100% accurate with their details, but it's still interesting reading about the past. I've read quite a few lately that are set in France during WWII.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a matter of fact, I just got done reading 2 books by Brian Kilmead- George Washington and his Secret Six, and Andrew Jackson and the Miracle at New Orleans.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
If any readers are interested in the psychological impact of war, they might want to read the Regeneration trilogy by Pat Barker. The third, The Ghost Road, won the 1995 Man Booker prize. They’re set during World War I and although it’s fiction, there are real characters in it such as poet Siegfried Sassoon—and certainly real events. I found the books difficult and heart wrenching, but they’re very powerful and I was glad I read them. PTSD during WWI was called shell shock and considered cowardice. Men were “treated” and then sent back to the fighting. Many were simply shot for cowardice on the front lines.

“Have you forgotten yet?...
Look down, and swear by the slain of the War that you'll never forget.”
~ from “Aftermath,” Siegfried Sassoon​

Last edited:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you’re interested in the psychological impact of war, you might want to read the Regeneration trilogy by Pat Barker. The third, The Ghost Road, won the 1995 Man Booker prize. They’re set during World War I and although it’s fiction, there are real characters in it such as poet Siegfried Sassoon—and certainly real events. I found the books difficult and heart wrenching, but they’re very powerful and I was glad I read them. PTSD during WWI was called shell shock and considered cowardice. Men were “treated” and then sent back to the fighting. Many were simply shot for cowardice on the front lines.

“Have you forgotten yet?...
Look down, and swear by the slain of the War that you'll never forget.”
~ from “Aftermath,” Siegfried Sassoon​
I have personal experience with the psychological impact of war- I was there, so I don't need to read about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.