All Things Books And Reading Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm reading #6 now, "Eat, Drink and Be Wary." Well, I will be when I finish my posting at TCS. "Between a Wok and a Hard Place" was hysterical. Did I mention that Magdalena Yoder reminds me very much of one of my great-aunts? Now, Aunt Addie was Methodist, not Mennonite, but LORD, they could have been sisters!

AND...it's that time of month again. I can start making a list of books to order later this week. I tend to get an entire series before moving on to another one. I'm torn. Do I want to order more cozy mysteries, with all their fun, or do I want to begin replacing my Alice Hoffmans, or do I want to go light and order a bunch of Georgette Heyer regency romances? Pure fluff, but fun fluff...OH THE AGONY!

Y'all do realize that if I ever win the lottery (or PCH comes to my door), I'll need a HUGE library room to hold all the books I'll be ordering, right?

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
THANK YOU! AND....I'm on to "Between a Wok and a Hard Place," and STILL loving this series! The wedding scene at the end of "Just Plain Pickled to Death" STILL has me giggling. Think old songs. OLD songs. Think "McArthur Park."

Think the chorus.
I don't know whether that video made me feel young again or old. I remember the era it came from, and the go-go boots and dancers.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know whether that video made me feel young again or old. I remember the era it came from, and the go-go boots and dancers.
Oh, so do I! I remember insisting that I get my bellbottom jeans from the Army surplus store, because the Navy bells didn't have the seams down the outside of the leg, and that was a BIG DEAL!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had REAL Navy bellbottoms, also called my uniform. But on liberty, I wore my white bells, with rust and olive colored vertical stripes; my VanHeusen zippered pink knit shirt and my black patent leather and green velour platform shoes. And didn't stand out at all.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, I'm reading "Play it Again, Spam," #7 in the Penn Dutch series and am embarassed to admit that there are a couple of spam recipes in there that I may try! I might as well...a church dropped off a box of food post-Florence, and there were two cans of spam in there. It seems like a sign...

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Has anyone looked at the books on The Great American Read list? And voted for your favorite? I’ve read a lot of them or have read different titles by the same author, but I think I have a new winter reading list!

The list:
Books | The Great American Read | PBS

What The Great American Read is if you’re not familiar with it:
Show | The Great American Read | PBS

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Interesting list. I've read some of them. A few back in high school. Some I don't think I'd put on the Great American Read, though. And some might take half of the year to read. ;)

Let us know which one you decide to start with. :read:

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Interesting list. I've read some of them. A few back in high school. Some I don't think I'd put on the Great American Read, though. And some might take half of the year to read. ;)

Let us know which one you decide to start with. :read:
I agree, but I may try them anyway! Except for War and Peace. :) I did a quick count, and I’ve read 53 of the 100. Maybe I’ll start with the Colson Whitehead book.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
53 of the 100 - good for you. :thumbsup: Quickly scanning the list, I think I've read 20 of them, some were series though, like Harry Potter.

I remember starting "Flower in the Attic" decades ago, and stopped when something happened to a cat. So keep that in mind, if you haven't ever read it.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I remember starting "Flower in the Attic" decades ago, and stopped when something happened to a cat. So keep that in mind, if you haven't ever read it.
Thank you. I haven’t read it. I can neither watch nor read something when animals are harmed. I either don’t read it or I flip quickly past it. There’s an upcoming miniseries on PBS’s Nature called “Super Cats” that I really want to watch, but I’m going to have to figure out how to get through the hunting and killing prey parts!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know it's part of nature, and animals have to hunt to survive, but whenever I watched a nature show, I always cheered just a little when the prey got away.

I'm currently reading Ten Beach Road (Ten Beach Road, #1) by Wendy Wax which is about 3 women who spend the summer fixing up a house for re-sale. That's a very vague description, but don't want to spoil anything. ;)

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm still wandering around in the world of Magdalena Yoder, and will be for a few more days. Right now, it is "Grape Expectations" (a re-read), which comes after "Assault and Pepper."

I may have mentioned this before but..."I HAZ A DISTRAWT!" The new Joe Grey was originally listed as coming out in either November or December, but has been pushed back to April of NEXT YEAR! And I have heard rumors through a reliable source that Hekitty had pre-ordered it for my Christmas present. I don't EVEN want to break the news to her! She'll have to go shopping again, and she always leaves Temptations crumbs on my keyboard!

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm still wandering around in the world of Magdalena Yoder, and will be for a few more days. Right now, it is "Grape Expectations" (a re-read), which comes after "Assault and Pepper."

I may have mentioned this before but..."I HAZ A DISTRAWT!" The new Joe Grey was originally listed as coming out in either November or December, but has been pushed back to April of NEXT YEAR! And I have heard rumors through a reliable source that Hekitty had pre-ordered it for my Christmas present. I don't EVEN want to break the news to her! She'll have to go shopping again, and she always leaves Temptations crumbs on my keyboard!
I just saw that!! April 23. Hmph.

* Hekitty absentmindedly gnaws on her nails and mindlessly pops Temptations while she surfs the web looking for the perfect present for Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 *

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 You might to mention to Hekitty that the new Pendergast novel will be coming out in paperback in January 2019 with hardback in December 2018. Verses for the Dead (Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child). She could pre-order that while she nibbles on her Temptations. If you're a Pendergast fan.

E-books from our library:
Splintered Silence - Susan Furlong (I really enjoyed this)
Down a Dark Road - Linda Castillo (another good one)
Rainy Day Friends - Jill Shalvis (a bit of fluff)
The Summer List - Amy Mason Dean (more fluff)
A Gathering of Secrets - Linda Castillo (This is excellent. I really like Linda Castillo)
The Darkest Time of Night - Jeremy Finley
The Rest Falls Away - Colleen Gleason
Chorus Lines, Caviar, and Corpses - Mary McHugh (ehhhhhh, Ok)
Murder in the Paperback Parlor - Ellery Adams
Lying in Wait - Liz Nugent

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 You might to mention to Hekitty that the new Pendergast novel will be coming out in paperback in January 2019 with hardback in December 2018. Verses for the Dead (Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child). She could pre-order that while she nibbles on her Temptations. If you're a Pendergast fan.
I'm an enormous Pendergast fan! I'll hint around at it, but she usually chooses books which feature cats as protagonists. She hasn't really started in on the "Mrs. Murphy" books (yet), but only because she thinks Mrs. Murphy sounds too "human," and not nearly as smart as a cat ought to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.