Adopted (poss Feral) Cat Hiding For 6 Weeks ... Help

frisbe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I am new to this site so thank you in advance for any help or advice.
I was looking for a new adopted cat for my mum who lives in the UK after her previous cat passed away due to a RTA and she was looking for an indoor cat because of this.
I saw a cat advertised and asked if it could be an indoor cat and explained the circumstances and was informed yes she was a lovely cat and could be an indoor cat.
My mum went to pick up the cat 6 weeks ago and she has not come out of hiding behind a very small gap next to the wall unit since :-( . She comes out at night to eat and use the litter tray but apart from that just hisses and hides. We have purchased toys, feliway products, cat beds that have a roof etc. and nothing works. She is in the lounge with the door shut so this is also her only room at present.
I have since researched where she came from and a previous post about this cat said she was part feral and needed a farm home to be re homed. I am a little annoyed about this as had i known i wouldn't have offered my mum this cat as she is retired and would just like some company.
Has anybody else been in this situation and did you have any success?
We are going to see how the next two weeks pan out but are considering re homing to a farm or somewhere more suitable to a feral cat...
Many thanks in advance for any help.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello F frisbe , on behalf of The Catsite community, I warmly welcome you to TCS :wave3:

I'm tabbytom and I'm a Mentor here in Catsite. Feel free to ask questions if you have any in regards to getting around the site. I'm here to help :thumbsup:

Here are some articles to read to help you get started with the site.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Forum Rules
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

Do check out the informative forum threads and also the many good reads in the Articles section too.

And lastly, do introduce yourself and your kitty to the community in New Cats on the Block and do post photos of your kitty for us to see :wink:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello,
I am new to this site so thank you in advance for any help or advice.
I was looking for a new adopted cat for my mum who lives in the UK after her previous cat passed away due to a RTA and she was looking for an indoor cat because of this.
I saw a cat advertised and asked if it could be an indoor cat and explained the circumstances and was informed yes she was a lovely cat and could be an indoor cat.
My mum went to pick up the cat 6 weeks ago and she has not come out of hiding behind a very small gap next to the wall unit since :-( . She comes out at night to eat and use the litter tray but apart from that just hisses and hides. We have purchased toys, feliway products, cat beds that have a roof etc. and nothing works. She is in the lounge with the door shut so this is also her only room at present.
I have since researched where she came from and a previous post about this cat said she was part feral and needed a farm home to be re homed. I am a little annoyed about this as had i known i wouldn't have offered my mum this cat as she is retired and would just like some company.
Has anybody else been in this situation and did you have any success?
We are going to see how the next two weeks pan out but are considering re homing to a farm or somewhere more suitable to a feral cat...
Many thanks in advance for any help.
Getting in a new kitten/cat to a new home is very usual for them to hide as they are new to the surroundings, sights and sounds. It takes both cat and human to play a part in socializing. And the most important key factor for it is love, patience and routine.

When approaching the cat, always make yourself as small as possible, like going on your fours. Speak lovingly to her and lure her out with some food and toy. It's not immediaresults but it takes time. Once the cat is used to you, your voice and presence and feel that you are no threat to her, she'll eventually come out.

I've attached some links in my post about success stories and it's found in post #5 here in Socializing Feral Kittens - Is Feeling Like There Is No Hope Is Par For The Course?.

Do not be discouraged and disappointed, if done properly, you'll see faster results. Do keep us up dated of the progress and should you have any questions, please ask as we try our best to help you :wink:

Last edited:

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a very sweet but semi feral girl I adopted from the shelter six years ago. When I got her she was kept in a bedroom but after two months and everything I could do to entice her out, she still would not come out from under the bed. There were treats, hours spent sitting quietly in the room reading and waiting for her to get interested, toys galore but she was not budging. Then it dawned on me to simply open the door to her room at night and let her explore the house while I slept. Within a few days she was moving around and finding new hiding places. Some weeks later she would even dart from place to place while I was up and then began sitting in the room with me as long as I didn't go near her.

Six years later she is not a lap cat and is terrified of being picked up, but she is always somewhere near me, follows me from room to room and sleeps near me in bed. She has days where she is anxious and needs to hide every few minutes but also days where she will let me pet her a bit. She has impeccable manners, will never bite or scratch and is the only cat I have owned who seems to understand the word "no", although it crushes her and she needs to hide a bit after it is said.

So some cats take more patience, some will never be that cuddly lap cat but that doesn't mean they can't be a beloved pet and great family member. Let her out into your living space but don't go near her or even look at her until she is ready to approach you without being scared or hissing.