Abandoned Cat And A Kitten - Advice?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In truth, these cats need to be spayed and neutered ASAP or you are going to have lots and lots of cats to deal with. If you keep waiting one or both of them is bound to wind up pregnant. If you continue to wait, you will then need to care or tame many more cats. I would concentrate on TNR and then setting up an inside space to socialize them.

The cats may need to spend time inside a home for full socialization. If not they will be quite difficult to adopt out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No where to give them inside time. I have a 14+ yo cat who has never liked another cat in her entire life - not to mention I'd risk divorce (well, almost anyway). My neighbor can't take them in, she runs a B&B and cats are not allowed.

Truth is the young cat could easily be adopted. The baby, probably at this stage, not so much.

But, apparently you are advocating for me to lie to my neighbor and steal the young cat???? And, hope the baby doesn't run away in the process???

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you talked to your vet about a foster where they could stay until healed from being spayed? I honestly think both Baby and Young cat are pregnant.

don't vets keep ferals a couple of days before releasing the females after spaying? It's not perfect but it's better than dying from being pregnant and the kittens dying. Once it was done you could bring them back to the neighbor's yard and release them again. Or you could take them to the no-kill shelter.

What did the neighbor think you were going to do with them when you trapped them? She knows you can't take them and she won't.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My neighbor knows the plan is to get them trapped and taken to a no-kill shelter.

The issue is NOT what will happen once they are trapped. I have another neighbor who has volunteered to take them to a no-kill shelter that she works in part-time.

The issue is with getting them trapped - and my neighbor is absolutely frantic over the idea of taking away the young cat from the baby. I don't have a compelling argument to quell her fears.

It is coming down to sacrificing one cat to save the other.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why can't you trap them together? then the other neighbor can take them to the no-kill shelter together. If you can't get them together then I'd go for young cat first since baby cat comes and waits there for her.

Ask the lady who works at the no-kill shelter for help with this double trap thing. I've read lots of stories about it being done successfully. In many the Baby or kittens are trapped first. Then a second trap set with the one with the kittens behind and touching it. A cover is put around the kitten trap so the only access to it is through the second trap. the mother goes to get the kittens and is caught.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The neighbor wants to trap them together. But, the baby is still not very receptive to humans, so I think she is living in a dream world, and hoping and praying that she can befriend the baby before they both get pregnant. I warn her daily of the possible consequences of dragging this out.

I am now looking for a large crate that we can make-shift into a little house, and perhaps we can get them trapped that way. I suggested that a few weeks back but neighbor felt she needed more time to get the baby comfortable.

I don't even know if that will work, but think if I can find one and give it to her, she will relent to using it.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make the crate, make it adorable and put it in her yard. Give them a week to get used to it and do it. Sometimes you have to be a little cruel to be kind.

On your side here, don't mean to sound harsh, but this is hard and there's no excuse for her to make it harder. You're the one who knows the dance, stay strong.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My neighbor has already had the young cat wander into/out a little cordoned off area in the house from the deck where they hang out - how many times I don't know. But, she just told me that the baby cat wandered in there yesterday and went absolutely 'all-kinds-of-feral ballistic' because it didn't realize it could get out the same way it came in. Young cat was not there at the time.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baby sounds completely normal for a feral, for a stray, for a cat who doesn't live in that little area. Mine have done the same when they were shoved into a small space for their own good -- room, closet, carrying case. You're good. The key thing will be getting to the house before the neighbor can let them out. You might tell her if they are trapped you will be the one who needs to get them out of the trap, because otherwise, in their panic, they might hurt her. (which is sort of true.)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First off, if they would get in the crate, she will be the one who HAS to close the door - don't think she would let me (nor would I really want to) camp out in her backyard, especially since the baby has no idea who I am. Secondly, if she would do that, I would gladly ask for the other neighbors help to get them safely transported to the no-kill shelter - even it that means I have to walk there carrying a crate full of screaming animals...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ask the lady who works at the no-kill shelter for help with this double trap thing. I've read lots of stories about it being done successfully. In many the Baby or kittens are trapped first. Then a second trap set with the one with the kittens behind and touching it. A cover is put around the kitten trap so the only access to it is through the second trap. the mother goes to get the kittens and is caught.
I have already reached out to the other neighbor about where to find an appropriate crate. I do like your idea, but am guessing the young cat would be caught first, and hopefully the baby would reach out to her. Pardon my language, but who the hell knows...

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooops, my confusion. I know you'd walk through a swamp to get them to the shelter. I didn't have the picture of the house right in my head. I don't know why I thought it had a spring door, when that would not work at all.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Borrowed a HUGE cat crate/house from my one neighbor, took it to my next door neighbor. It is now on her deck - BUT she wouldn't let me put the door on it. We have it covered with a secured tarp, because it is supposed to rain tonight. She put a blanket in it that they have used before, and I actually picked up the young cat and put her inside it - uh, right back out again; no surprise there. Just wanted her to know it was there. Neighbor said she would place food in it tonight...we'll see.

She bristled at me suggesting she could be looking at a dozen+ babies in the near future, so I shut up. And, then the EYE OPENER - she said she might be moving to another location in maybe 3 months, and wants to take them IF she goes. @$#%&* - now I have to shift gears and talk to her about TNR. @$#%&*.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And you thought you'd acquired enough swear words for life in high school.

so she's giving up the B&B?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's the twist to start with. If they are TNR it'll cost a boat load less money that if she has to do it herself. If she doesn't want to TNR, tell her those ladies must, absolutely must get to a vet to get their vaccinations so they'll live. You could even throw in some stuff about heart worm in cats. It's flippin' FL I wouldn't be surprised if Heart worm was a problem for people in the mosquito infested swamp...

ER...Yes, tell her about the illnesses that could kill those babies in 24 hours.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, I didn't even begin with the swear word possibilities - I was being brief. I don't know what the @$#%&* she is thinking.

She said she will take care of babies if that happens. WHAT???? ARE YOU KIDDING ME - she can't take care of two stray cats that happened to have the misfortune of wandering into her yard.

When I talk to her about TNR - I WILL PAY FOR IT!!!! Not that she will accept that. I am NOT too far off from doing what my Next Door Neighbor said and just stealing the one cat and acting dumb - I am beyond incredulous, aghast, amazed, flabbergasted...

Last edited:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly I’ve been wondering what the holdup was. I feel like TNR should be a priority even if it means separation. Worse things can happen if no action is taken.