Abandoned Cat And A Kitten - Advice?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did go over and talk to the neighbor's nephew. He seems like a good guy, and being in the military he's pretty disciplined. I offered my help for my neighbor and the cat/kitty. He seemed gracious. I have to step back at this point and accept it. It's just hard. Don't want to lose those darlings.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks. I just hope these little ones hang on until she's back home. Have to get the kitty to accept someone and then we can take better care of both. Have another neighbor who works with a no kill shelter. We will use her resources if we can get them both trapped.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:vibes::vibes:Prayers and vibes for your neighbor's speedy healing!!
You have done all that you can. Usually, kitties will not leave their home territory, especially where there is steady food, water, shelter and safety from predators. And if YC was coming in season, the toms would already be sniffing around.
I

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Just venting again. Sorry the post is so long. Last evening, Feeby was at the front screen door on a footstool looking out and the old familiar hissing, growling, etc. begun. Sure enough, the young stray cat from next door was out there. I immediately headed outside through my garage and she approached me. I ran and got her food, and she ate a whole lot of it. Then, she decided to hang with me in my garage.

I texted my neighbor, who just got out of the hospital earlier in the day, and told her the cat was with me. I was hoping she would come over and lull the cat back to her yard. The neighbor wasn't home, but said she would be soon. And, she said she had left food out shortly before she left.

Three times, I picked up that cat (yes, she willingly let me do so) and sat her on top of the fence where we used to see her all the time come and go from neighbor's back yard. All three times she jumped back down, the first two times she followed me back to my garage. During one of those times, I saw something very small crawling under a truck across the street. I would be willing to bet that it was the baby, and that is why the young cat was out and about - looking for baby.

By then, my neighbor drove in her driveway and the cat seemed to notice it. But, my neighbor did not come over. On that third time of taking her back to the fence and having her jump down, she just sat there looking across the street. I decided it was time for me to go back to my own home and hope that with me gone baby would come to the young cat and they would both make their way back to their little get-a-away in my neighbor's yard.

I don't know if they did, and I have not yet heard back from my neighbor. :(

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad that you are looking out for the kitties! Your neighbor has a good friend in you. I feel for Young Cat, having no home & no family. YC really looks out for the baby.
And Feeby is quite the little sentry! Thank you for the updates! Prayers and vibes for that little cat family :vibes::vibes::vibes:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Omg. Still no word from neighbor. Going to be down to 37 degrees tonight, and it rained last night. So, hoping she was able to replace any wet bedding. I haven't seen either of the kitties today.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:cold: 37° is cold for your neck of the woods! The kitties are probably hunkered down together.
Your neighbor is likely very tired and if she is on new meds, may be a bit disoriented. I was surprised at how the heart and cholesterol meds can alter the mood of my elderly mom and our elderly friend.:stars:
How are you holding up? You have a lot of concern going on, for your neighbors and the kitties.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm good, thanks for asking. Hope my neighbor is not having med issues, she's been out driving 2-3 times today! Glad her nephew is there.

Hope you're right about the kitties! Same temp for tomorrow night too! Ugh.

Again, thanks!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My father had no problem driving after his heart attack, except that he liked to drive a little slower than before. This was not the bypass thing. No doubt, there have been improvements in the meds since then. A neighbor, who had triple bypass, and a friend who had triple bypass and a bit more, both felt better than they had in a long time afterward and seemed fine.

Maybe you can catch the neighbor later? I'm fond of whole sheets of notebook paper attached with masking tape to the door by the driveway.

prayers for kits last night and today, and for those who help them.
yeah, you. ;)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Thanks! She actually had one stent put in for a full blockage, and is receiving meds for another semi-clogged artery as well as high blood pressure. She is only in her early 50s!

I plan on trying to touch base with her today, and ask how she is doing (and, ask about the kitties - hopefully not offending her in the process)!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shouldn't be offending her, since you're asking how she is and can you help her. Can I help you never offended me.

As with the kits, hearts don't care how old you are. They just do their thing. sigh.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have another neighbor who works with a no kill shelter and she has offered to loan us a trap. The problem is not with the young cat - it is with the baby. The young cat wouldn't even have to be trapped at this point. But, the baby won't let anyone near it. And, besides we don't want to separate the two. I can see us putting out a trap, the young cat goes in and gets stuck, and the baby runs off...

Besides, I have heard that shelters won't take ferals - this baby is probably as close as you can get to the description of feral. So, geez, I haven't even gotten to thinking about that part...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, just do it over and over again until it is not the young cat that gets caught (or, in this case a possum, armadillo, or an occasional racoon - haha, but not)? If at first you don't succeed....

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When the desired kitty goes under the drop trap to eat you can pull the string tied to the trap which will cause the trap to drop over the cat. I'm sure there are some youtube videos out there. What you're describing is a regular trap, not a drop trap.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am really not trying to be difficult, but I doubt that I can get my neighbor to sit outside all night and wait. And, I really doubt she would let me either. I will find a way to 'casually' discuss it with her anyway...

And, I really do appreciate that you guys are hanging in there to help me help my neighbor and these little kitties!

If it weren't for the baby, the young cat could have been taken to the no-kill shelter already.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have not seen the baby enough to know when it is eating - most likely in the dead of night when it has learned no one else is around!!

The first night or so after my neighbor set up the first little house, she peeked inside in the morning and the baby was in there, but it freaked out the baby so bad, that she 'ran for the hills'! I am not sure she has seen the baby in either that house, or the second one, since - maybe once along with the young cat in there as well.

My neighbor kind of does have a feeding schedule - primarily dawn and dusk. Young cat may or may not be there at those times, baby never is... All she knows is that in the morning, the food is gone - and ditto for when she gives them their dusk feeding.