Abandoned Cat And A Kitten - Advice?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Another update: Texted my neighbor yesterday, only asking about her and not the cats. She thanked me and offered that the two days before her heart attack, both baby and young cat were on her deck - I am assuming she means while she was out there (you know how texting can be vague). So, another step in the right direction.

Then, this morning she sent me a pic of the young cat looking in her sliding glass doors at the front of the house (see pic below), not in the back where their food and little houses are. Her daughter is with her now, and she is the one who took the pic. It broke our hearts to see her staring inside.

I think the young cat is out front only when looking for the baby, who apparently wanders off from time to time. This was about 6:30 am. She also told me that the baby was on the deck soon after watching her for a minute or two before wandering off - somewhere other than the little houses. Baby has found another spot in the yard it is hiding out in apparently - my neighbor has seen it go there several times now - and places food around that area as well.

Overall, I guess this is progress with the baby - kind of. May be a long time yet, but makes me feel hopeful we can get the baby to respond to us, at least her, as the young cat now does.
output1.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And, yet another update. So, both young cat and baby are still hanging around in my neighbor's back yard. Now the baby won't run away from my neighbor, but keeps it's distance of about 7-10 feet from her and just stares at her. I am guessing, this is progress, however S-L-O-W it may be.

I don't know if the baby actually SEES my neighbor put down food or not. So, I don't know if offering cat treats - of course, at a distance - would help any? Doesn't mean the young cat won't take them first, but if the baby sees her handing out treats that the young cat takes, would that help?

This whole process has been going on for two+ months. It only took the young cat maybe 3-4 weeks to get pretty comfortable. But, it has probably only been in the last week that the baby stopped running away. I know every case is different, so I realize this is dumb question - anybody want to take a stab at how long before we might actually be able to touch the baby - a month, two, six, never????

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is progress, I know you know that, but a little 'yep, sure is, ma'am' isn't a bad thing.

You'all are down to freezing now, right? I'm thinking two weeks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A couple of days of below 37 this past week, so not really 'freezing' thank goodness!! So far, forecast for the next 7 days doesn't call for anything below 43 - woohoo!! My neighbor has a boat load of accommodations all over her back yard and most of them are covered. Although, no one still really knows for sure where they actually stay overnight.

And, I just talked to my neighbor - progress is even better than I realized. The baby and young cat will now play in front of my neighbor. And, she actually got close enough with her hand that the baby swatted at it - no claws, no hissing - just like playing. For the past few days, they are both outside near her back door waiting on her to show up in the morning especially. My neighbor said the baby is so CUTE!!!

It is almost too dark to see but my neighbor took this pic two days ago - the young cat and the baby in a flower pot (up and to the left of the young cat). I missed it until she told me where the baby was!!!
output.jpg

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
K Kflowers , catsknowme catsknowme , kittyluv387 kittyluv387 , and anyone else: My neighbor said she has recently seen the young cat scratching, not sure about the baby. She is thinking about buying some cheap flea treatment from Walmart to treat the young cat with - can't do it with the baby, haven't gotten that far yet with it to be able to handle it.

Should I just let her? I mean we, can't get to the baby to treat it. Also, I have Advantage II, bought in 2014, for a cat over 9lbs. I know it's potency reduces over time, so maybe use some/all of it on the young cat (probably around 7lbs maybe)?

Or, just tell her to let it go right now? Any other ideas?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't let her. some of the stuff Wal-mart sells is made by Hartz Mountain - you're lucky if you survive that, and other really dangerous flea meds.

I'd give her the Advantage II. Just use a little less than the whole tube. What is the expiration date on it? Most things are dated to 'expire' way before they do.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Unfortunately, I cannot find an expiration date on what I bought. I am furious - because prior to this pack of 6, I am certain I have always seen an expiration date. I haven't used any of this stuff for years, and years, and years, obviously.

I will tell her no on the cheap stuff (thought so), let her know you all agree, and see if she wants to use a partial tube of the Advantage II I have. Again, only for young cat, can't get that close to baby. I am not even sure it is worth it...

Tbh, I think I am going to scare her about doing anything right now. For all I know, the young cat could be pregnant and we just don't know it yet.

Thanks for whoever keeps reading this long thread. I appreciate the advice and acknowledgement and sounding board. This is, as I said before, going to be a long haul...

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At your post I went and searched for the expiration date on my box. No where, none, nada. Too weird. I thought part of the expiration date was to make you buy more before you used up whatever the product was.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
At your post I went and searched for the expiration date on my box. No where, none, nada. Too weird. I thought part of the expiration date was to make you buy more before you used up whatever the product was.
Yeah, well, guess not. I know I inquired before about this many years ago, and the response was it just loses potency over time. How long until there is no potency left - uh, who knows.

A long haul by another name is life.
True. But, along with everything else in life, it doesn't make it any less exasperating.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
True. But, along with everything else in life, it doesn't make it any less exasperating.
Yes, it is exasperating! That is why we are here at TCS to rally in support of your ongoing efforts. For myself, there are many times that I get tired and want to give up but then I will see an alert & it helps me to rally on.
I am glad to see that you are still supporting your neighbor to stay encouraged in helping the kitties. Like you wisely said, this will be a long haul. It is especially difficult when there are health issues like your neighbor has had, not to mention the approaching holidays and unusually challenging weather.
I agree with using the Advantage II. It breaks my heart to read about the adverse reactions with the cheaper flea products. It is not the pets' nor (usually) their guardians' faults that they cannot buy the better products.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Little Teutonic helmets with the nose protection!!
:flail::flail:

K Kflowers ~ so many of your responses in these various threads absolutely DELIGHT me! the humor, the compassion, the wisdom are awesome & I am realllly pleased that you are answering in this thread. :clap:
:salute::soldier: Feeby's Owner has really stood up tall to help these two kitties and their concerned guardian! My sincere thanks and admiration for that & thank you to all here who are responding! Your moral support and advice are often the best contribution that a cat rescuer can get.:happycat: :clapcat::grouphug: :rock:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My blushes, catsknowme catsknowme , stop, don't stop. I've learned a lot here, I expect to learn more. I've remembered more than I ever thought to, I wonder if I'll remember even more.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And, yet another update.... My neighbor has a outdoor couch in an open patio (with an covered roof). The young cat now comes there in the evening and hangs out on top of the couch (maybe all night, my neighbor thinks) - looking in the window I might add. :sigh: But, in the past day or so, although the baby comes later, it (neighbor thinks it is a she) comes and hangs out on the back of the couch with the young cat. The neighbor still thinks it is too soon to try the 'baby food ploy' with the baby kitten, but we are going to get there....

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Re: Baby food ploy - baby cat sniffs it and walks away, young cat loves it! Oh well. :dunno:

Moving on to a long stick with a toy connected to the end. Baby already plays with a toy or two that my neighbor bought, but not yet with my neighbor interacting.

Colder weather hit last night, so they were on the deck underneath a covered chair with LOTS of blankets. Baby came out this morning to lay on a sun drenched blanket and to play with one of the toys. A little warmer tonight, thank goodness!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
After having more warm weather, I guess the cats decided to venture. No one saw them for a whole day, until tonight. Phew... They are BACK (from where ever they were hiding). I have STILL NEVER gotten to see the baby up close...

output.jpg