Abandoned Cat And A Kitten - Advice?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Beba got her first socialization with neighbor, I think the cat lady will have it much easier because of that. We'll see. They - to me - are both such sweethearts. Yes, I even said that about Beba - the former baby brat cat!!! Lol.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OMG!!!!!! :hyper:Mia had her baby this evening probably about 3 hours ago? I got to see the baby! No more babies yet, and doubt there will be anymore. No pics, just yet either. At this time, the baby looks like Beba. All are doing fine. Yay!

Talk about a close call, this is Monday, and she was just trapped yesterday. Whew. OMG!!! :hugs::hearthrob::redheartpump:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG!!!!!! :hyper:Mia had her baby this evening probably about 3 hours ago? I got to see the baby! No more babies yet, and doubt there will be anymore. No pics, just yet either. At this time, the baby looks like Beba. All are doing fine. Yay!

Talk about a close call, this is Monday, and she was just trapped yesterday. Whew. OMG!!! :hugs::hearthrob::redheartpump:
Wow it really was time! A small litter would be the best outcome!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No more than just the one baby. And, Mia is making a great mother! She actually did a wonderful job of disguising the baby in the blanket - enough so that cat rescue lady at first couldn't figure out where she was in the crate!! Cat rescue lady turned up the heat in the house and gave Mia another blanket to work with!

Now, onto the next issue. I realize it is going to take some time for Beba to adjust to being in a crate, not being able to roam and play as she pleases, and also not being able to have access to Mia. And, I know that she is probably even more stressed that her 'protector' had a baby that she is tending to. She has also only been in cat rescue lady's spare home for just about 48 hours.

When I visited earlier in the day yesterday, and then when my neighbor and I visited the cats later to see the new baby, Beba did not hiss at me/us. But, when cat rescue lady called me today to give an update on Mia and baby, she told me when she entered the room Beba hissed at her.

Is this pretty typical? Could Mia having a baby be contributing to Beba hissing at the cat rescue lady? I know this lady knows her stuff, so am I just being paranoid about Beba?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Beba is trying to help protect the kitten and Mia. Beba and Mia are a pride, a small one, but a pride none the less. The pride protects the cubs. She would be helping Mia hunt and watching kit when Mia had to leave the nest. It's much better for the mother cat and kittens if there are 'sister' and 'auntie' cats helping.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, OK, I get that. But, cat rescue lady is afraid to put Beba with Mia and baby for fear that Beba won't react in a protective way. So, what - if anything - is going to change cat rescue lady's mind?

Also, assuming you are correct, would that make Beba behave even worse toward cat rescue lady - and perhaps that is why she not in favor of putting them all together.

Tbh, she might also be keeping them separate because while the crate is not a bad size for Mia and baby, it might be a tad bit small to add a third cat??? There really is no room available/safe where they would be allowed to roam without being crated. And, at this point Beba would dart the room when the door would be opened even if there was a room that could be used with no crate.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not saying she should put them together yet. She has to do what her nerves can handle. Beba will do her protecting from her crate. Since Mia is getting regular meals without hunting, she's good. Beba is acting on hard wired instinct, which is protect.

since rescue lady doesn't trust Beba yet, it's best to leave them separate even if it's a strain on the cats. If they were together and the new kitten died, she might blame Beba and Beba has had enough stuff thrown at her. Rescue lady would forgive her, but unspoken disappointment would come between them. Right now rescue lady is Beba's best hope.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AND TOTALLY do what must be done to keep Beba in the house and not outdoors. This is a very tricky time for a almost feral to adjust to being inside.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, the thing that is freaking me out all over again - thanks to my neighbor's reaction after seeing their environment for the first time last night - is the fact that Beba's crate is sitting on top of Mia's crate. The upper crate is a little smaller, so technically Beba could look over the edge of her crate and kind of/sort of see into Mia's crate, but more than likely not be able to see Mia.

Is being able to actually see each other any more important than smelling/sensing each other's presence?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can they reach through the crates to touch paws? Just wondering.

I don't understand why the crates aren't put next to each other on the floor. If you ask, I wanna know.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No touching even remotely possible. Not enough space available to place crates next to each other.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
but yes, it helps they can smell each other and that they can talk to each other. My childhood cat had a dear friend cat who came to visit her every day. They talked through the porch screen. Not perfect but better than being separated.

(Mom wouldn't let the boy cat come in the house to visit our spayed cat. Mom was fussy that way and not fond of company.)