Abandoned Cat And A Kitten - Advice?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, after a wonderful (NOT) night of fireworks (12/31) the young cat is now missing. :frustrated:The baby is still in my neighbor's yard, and is missing the young cat. Went on my Next Door Neighbor web site and asked if anyone has seen her - or perhaps even has her. We'll see if I get any responses at all (doubt it). I guess if she doesn't show up soon, we'll go ahead and trap the baby without her...:(

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. I write and demand that the Governor ban fireworks, but he never answers. People who set them off don't care about cats, dogs, babies, or veterans with PTSD. I have to believe they will get theirs in the here after, because so far nothing's happened to them here. Why, yes, I get a little thrill every time I see that one of them has blown a few of their own fingers off.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:wink: Tbh, I don't think my neighbor is in any hurry...that or she can't/won't put out the effort that would be required to be more diligent about this. Hope she realizes she almost 'bit off her nose to spite her face' with this last 'missing' incident. There is a good chance there will come a time that one of these cats goes missing for good.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
and snow, you guys live where it snows. Have you talked to her about feral cat houses? About cleaning out the straw on a regular basis? How they may draw more ferals? Better to deal now than later. And how are those soon to be kittens coming? ;)

There are always soon to be kittens. I'm thinking Baby cat is heading toward teen pregnancy. Cause it's a cat thing. I know you know, but sending the energy to the neighbor with this post.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No snow here - Central Florida - thank god. No kittens - not yet anyway - also thank god.

The cats have a few houses/beds underneath cover that they like on her deck, and when the temp does drop (mostly not lower than 37-40ish - and it is a rare 81 outside at this moment in midday), she adds extra blankets. She even has a couch out there that they like to sleep on the back - and look into the window. :sigh:

I wish I could keep them both - she can't as she runs a B&B. But, my husband would protest (I could ignore that actually!), and Feeby would likely try to kill one or both - or maim them at a minimum. She's too old and set in her ways... no good for her even if she didn't try to kill them.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The thing is I see that FL (Org OH) and think you're still in OH. My mind just can't do the FL thing because I've visited there and the bugs terrified me. The giant flying roaches. Some seem to have moved up here, but we're going to pretend they haven't.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hey, I was FREAKED OUT by the roaches and palmettos (flying roaches). Used to make my husband kill them while I ran the other direction. Or, when he was out of town, I'd suck them up in the vacuum (with a LONG extension). Now, I can kill them with a broom. But, still cringe with the palmettos. It only took me over 30 years to get to that point!! BTW, there are very few that ever get in my house...

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know for a fact that throwing the can of bug spray at them doesn't work. a friend told me. She locked the bug in the bathroom and went next door to find someone -- not me -- to kill it. I admire her presence of mind. I've thrown volumes of the Encyclopedia Britannica at them. It works, if you aim a little in front of them. Does not work well if they are on the wall.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a cuddly baby. I think neighbor wants to keep the cats and can't and the only way is to being 'going to catch them'. Seeing Baby, I can hardly blame her. Start talking about how easy it is to tame a feral.

yeah, I know but once the kits are in her house, she'll get into it. Am I projecting again?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she thought she could get away with keeping them, I think she just might. But, operating a B&B and having cats running around the guests is not a combination for success.

The baby is on the verge of being 'tamed' at least to my neighbor. Once I can get her to 'allow' me to befriend the baby, I am going to snatch both of them up and get them to a no-kill shelter. I will miss them, but it's for the best.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi everyone - again. When young cat went missing for two days - before she came back on her own - I posted on my Next Door Neighbor site about it. Now I have a person in a nearby neighborhood that is pm-ing me telling me to take the young cat, without the baby, to a no kill shelter - AND LIE to my neighbor when she realizes the young cat is gone, saying it must have run away again. I realize this woman is looking out for the best interest of the cats, but I almost feel queasy even thinking about following her suggestion.

What do you all think? Tbh, even if you all think I should I am not sure I could go through with it. Not to mention, the two days the young cat was gone the baby stopped eating...