6 Year Old Male Cat Vomiting, Not Eating Or Drinking, Very Lethargic

MinaMina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear all,

My beloved cat started vomiting this morning. All his food came out. A few hours later it was feeding time and he didn't come running as he usually does so I took a closer look. He was very lethargic,would hardly move and appeared to be very weak.

Shortly after that, he vomited again. It was all bile because his stomach was empty. I went to see a vet right then and there.

He examined his abdomen from the outside, took x-rays and ran blood tests. Everything came back normal. Liver and kidney parameters are in the low normal range, glucose is fine too,no signs of dehydration.
In the X-ray, however, there was a shadow that might be reason for concern bc the vet wasn't sure if it was just gas or something else in his intestines. I'm obsessing over that thought now.

The vet gave him an injection under the skin for hydration, just in case, anti nausea meds,anti vomiting meds as well as pain killers.

We've been back for four hours now. He hadn't thrown up but he also hasn't touched his food or water. He's lying in one spot and wouldn't move. Right now, he's sleeping. I'm on the couch where he's sleeping too because I'm really worried:(

The vets asked us to come back tomorrow in case he hasn't improved. They want to do an ultrasound and hospitalize him if that happens so they can monitor him more closely.

Is there anything I could or should do right now? It's 2:30 am and I can't sleep. Especially because I've read many horror stories about cats that had similar symptoms.

I hope he's feeling better tomorrow :(do you think I should go in either way tomorrow to have him checked even though he might feel better?

I have pet insurance so money isn't an issue but it wouldn't be either way.

Thanks

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello M MinaMina , on behalf of The Catsite community, I warmly welcome you and your kitty to TCS :wave3:

I'm tabbytom and I'm a Mentor here in Catsite. Feel free to ask questions if you have any, I'm here to help :wink:

It's a good thing you brought him to the vet and the results are pretty good except for the x-ray.
As long as he's hydrated and medicated, let him rest and observe him. Try feeding him a little (like tuna for the fishy smell) in the morning and see how it goes. If he really does not eat for the day, then bring him in.

BTW, did he ingested some toxic stuffs from the house?
What To Do If You Think Your Cat Ingested Poison

Hope he does better in the morning and everything cleared. Do keep us posted.

Here are some articles to read to help you get started with the site.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Forum Rules
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

Do check out the informative forum threads and also the many good reads in the Articles section too.

And lastly, do introduce yourself and your kitty to the community in New Cats on the Block and do post photos of your kitty for us to see :wink:

BombayKittyLover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If I were you I would avoid the horror stories. They always make me ten times more stressed!

Also, do try to give him some treats to see if he eat those! I would take him in to the vet, but it is one hundred percent your choice! You said he isn't really moving, so maybe put his food and water close by? :hearthrob:

Best of luck!:bigeyes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MinaMina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear all,

Thanks for your replies :)

Since I slept next to him on the couch, I could see how he slowly transitioned from that lethargic position without any movement to his more normal sleeping positions on the side, back etc.

When I opened a can this morning, he came to eat and he has eaten one more time since :)

He hasn't thrown up since before the vet and he's a little more active right now. More alert, walks around a little bit and at this very moment is licking himself.
If it goes on like this, I won't go to the vet today but if he does throw up again, I will right away.

I'm feeling a little relieved but also not quite "safe" yet :-/

I'll keep you posted.