Yukino. My Clingy Kitty

JKDOS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

This is my female cat Yukino (Yuki for short). She is approximately 13 months of age. I adopted her from my animal humane society.

I didnt really choose her. She choose my. She was reaching out of her cage for me when I passed by . She started crying as I would walk away from her cage. She wanted me to pet her and talk to her.

So I took her home, and her behavior is the same. She will not let me leave her, and if I do, or if she manages to leave my side, she will cry until I call for her, or until I come find her.

I should be in bed sleeping right now, but she won't let me sleep. She cries for me. I finally let her in my room but she won't sleep with me. She acts hyper and is running around my apartment and crying for me. I think she wants to play, but when I go to her she will just lay down on the floor or couch near me. I guess she is just very clingy.

It might take some time for both of us to adjust, but I am very happy to find a cat who loves me.

I may have discovered her love for classical music. So I am playing non stop classical music through my Google Home device.

If anyone has any tips for dealing with her not letting me leave, please let me know. It's hard for me to brush my teeth and shower before bed or even go to bed. I imagine it will be hard for me to go to work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JKDOS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The title should read Clingy . There is a typo and I don't know how to edit the OP

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
9D1E1238-C48A-467F-B540-54397E5671D8.gif
JKDOS and Juki, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
3985DBA2-6B98-4B47-8051-4ABE450FDCA0.jpeg
to both of you.

Glad that you’ve joined us and you are in the right place for all things cat.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Juki is lovely and here’s a special thread unread just for her in Show Me Your Stripes And Spots! Tabby Cats Only ;) and lots of fun threads to showcase what your kitty is up to here in Fur Pictures and Videos Only!

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

JKDOS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Still trying to get Yukino to let me sleep. Is the best option to ignore her and let her cry at my closed bedroom door?

It seems she gets hyper if I open my door and allow her in. When I get out of bed and pay attention to her in the living room she calms down and sleeps in my lap or on my legs.

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She is training you. Try laying down earlier with her in the room. Give her time to play,and maybe she will then calm down after a bit and fall asleep in bed with you.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: Yuki is beautiful. :catlove:

I hope you were finally able to get some sleep. Did you just bring her home yesterday?

2azwildcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you thought about getting Yuki a friend? My cat was driving me crazy (not as bad as yours) so I got him a friend and it did help. They have each other to drive crazy now.

JKDOS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you just bring her home yesterday?
I did. I'm hoping she will grow a little independent as time goes on. She was really exited to see me this morning

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Congrats on becoming a new cat "parent". :petcat: Hopefully once Yuki gets more used to her new home, she'll be less clingy. But clingy isn't all bad. I've read many posts asking "how do I get my new cat to come out of hiding". I guess somewhere in the middle would be best, but I think I'd prefer clingy. :catrub:

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! Yuki is so adorable.
You'll find lots of great information here, wonderful members, and TONS of cute cat pictures. :welcomesign:
It sounds like Yuki is bonding to you right now, which is normal since you rescued her. I wouldn't outright discourage her clingy behavior, because you don't want to be on the other end of the spectrum as rubysmama rubysmama said. But try not to give in if she's crying for attention when you're doing your normal routine, (teeth brushing, showering, etc.) so that you'll be able to complete these tasks easily.
Cats do sort of "train" us, and can be very routine-based, remembering series of events in what is called a "chaining behavior." If you feed her every day right after you pour a glass of juice in the am, you can bet she'll be waiting for you to feed her as soon as the glass is full! That's just an example, of course. But if you begin to give her extra attention at night after bedtime, or when you're busy, she'll remember and expect that next time, too.

One of my cats, Lucy, is very attached to me, and will follow me around the house. Every time I open the bathroom door, she's waiting outside for me, lol. I might worry more if I didn't have other animals to keep her company while I was gone, though.
In your case, I'd do my best to give Yuki all the cuddles and attention you can, and play with her right before bedtime. She's probably still gonna be zooming around late at night, but let her get it out of her system. Once a routine is more established, hopefully she'll start coming to bed regularly. Letting her sleep in the room with you will keep her from meowing at the door.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yuki is adorable, and loves you so much!