Willy might have cancer / high-grade lymphoma Treatment thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is amazing. Thank you so much for sharing this!
Another way of putting this is something I've heard on an old favorite radio program: "Change your thinking and you'll change your life." In other words, your perspective is powerful. I definitely agree on the "healthcare"/doctor thing! They are in the business of keeping you sick, pushing the drugs that make their empire the most powerful on earth, and telling you, obliquely or otherwise, that you'd better not build up hope. That's why I will not play their game. Everyone leaves this earth at some time. That "dash" -- the time between coming here and leaving -- is the part WE can and should have something to say about! A good diet and lifestyle, preventive care, and the use of what's between our ears to educate ourselves and make informed choices rather than following the herd off the cliff that is "healthcare" is crucial. It's not easy to do the work. But it's each person's choice.

Oh, cmshap cmshap I'm so sorry. I don't have any suggestion for e-collar acclimatization, except perhaps if you have Feliway spray, you might try spraying it in his environment, as it helps calm cats in stressful situations. Not at all sure it would help in this one. But it's the only thing that comes to mind. HOPING he has stopped bleeding! and that he will be able to let it alone. Also hoping his care team contacts you quickly with their read on this.

Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to purchase a set of nail caps- little plastic caps that go over the nails so they are not sharp as even keeping them clipped back and filed they are still quit sharp - I had found little rubber caps that were quite soft and they even came with a teeny tube of glue- I had a kitty years ago who injured his eye and kept scratching it,worked quite well as I was not comfortable with leaving him home with an e- collar on...... just a suggestion,they don't seem to bother any kitty that Ive known of to use them-it must not feel like anything......

Does Willy like Churo or squeezable temptation treats- seems better than dairy imo- I say aye to a few days or a week to dairy wrapped meds but nay for prolonged admin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does Willy like Churo or squeezable temptation treats- seems better than dairy
No, he never showed the slightest interest in treats like that.

He must be feeling especially bad right now because he hasn't eaten anything since yesterday afternoon. That includes his prednisolone-coated treats from yesterday, so he missed a day.

I am picking up the compounded liquid prednisolone today from the local pharmacy. It costs more than I wanted to spend but he needs that drug in his body.

Edit: I even gave him an extra dose of Mirataz last night and he still didn't eat.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
On the bleeding ear: Take it from me, ears bleed. A lot. It's a very thin area with a ton of blood vessels. And the more they shake, the worse it looks. I've seen tiny, tiny cuts on ears look like a blood bath. (I am in no way downplaying how scary that photo looks, just trying to calm your nerves on this a bit.)
Do you think you'll be able to give him the liquid medicine?
On the cone collar, I would tentatively suggest placing it on him when he's relaxed and in your lap, and do your best to keep him still with a lot of pets and telling him what a great guy he is. I wouldn't want to create trust issues, but Willy seems like a pretty laid back cat over all and if the cone needs to be worn, I would consider this an important part of his treatment.
Have you ever used Feliway?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I wouldn’t bother with a collar. It’s going to upset him. I also at this time wouldn’t clean the ear. If you do it will start bleeding again. I wouldn’t use any drops either. I would call your vet and let them know what is going on. Tell them he won’t tolerate a collar.
I know it’s a mess.
With his new chemo drugs, I would be very careful of any stress. They may need to see him. It doesn’t sound like he is doing well since he isn’t eating.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. I wouldn’t bother with a collar. It’s going to upset him. I also at this time wouldn’t clean the ear. If you do it will start bleeding again. I wouldn’t use any drops either. I would call your vet and let them know what is going on. Tell them he won’t tolerate a collar.
I know it’s a mess.
With his new chemo drugs, I would be very careful of any stress. They may need to see him. It doesn’t sound like he is doing well since he isn’t eating.
:yeah: Agreed

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: 4 days post-chemo (4th dose)...

Late afternoon...

Today hasn't gotten any better.

His ear has not been bleeding more, but he still is just picking at food and not eating much at all.

I picked up the liquid prednisolone and dosed him, which he hated (it was the act of holding his head to put the end of the syringe in his mouth). I also gave him another dose of Mirataz.

He then went into my closet and is hiding from me. He never hides from me. I put one of his cat beds in the closet to make him feel more comfortable.

There is no way I can take him in anywhere to be seen tonight. I have a ton of work to do, and chemotherapy is killing me financially enough as it is... I need to be able to make money to help him at all. The nature of my work is contractual, by the hour, so I don't get a guaranteed salary. I only make money when I bill for my time.

I am opting to see how he does tonight and then go from there tomorrow morning. Prednisolone can increase appetite, and he missed his dose yesterday, so I'm hoping today's dose (30-45 minutes ago from the time I am writing this post), combined with the extra dose of Mirataz, will make him feel better and get him to eat something.

If he is still not eating tomorrow, I may pick up a new tube of Mirataz... but I don't know what else to do besides that. Other than call my vets again.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Late afternoon...

Today hasn't gotten any better.

His ear has not been bleeding more, but he still is just picking at food and not eating much at all.

I picked up the liquid prednisolone and dosed him, which he hated (it was the act of holding his head to put the end of the syringe in his mouth). I also gave him another dose of Mirataz.

He then went into my closet and is hiding from me. He never hides from me. I put one of his cat beds in the closet to make him feel more comfortable.

There is no way I can take him in anywhere to be seen tonight. I have a ton of work to do, and chemotherapy is killing me financially enough as it is... I need to be able to make money to help him at all. The nature of my work is contractual, by the hour, so I don't get a guaranteed salary. I only make money when I bill for my time.

I am opting to see how he does tonight and then go from there tomorrow morning. Prednisolone can increase appetite, and he missed his dose yesterday, so I'm hoping today's dose (30-45 minutes ago from the time I am writing this post), combined with the extra dose of Mirataz, will make him feel better and get him to eat something.

If he is still not eating tomorrow, I may pick up a new tube of Mirataz... but I don't know what else to do besides that. Other than call my vets again.
Oh, I wish for my *Prayers* and those of others reading this to have power immediately to help Willy, and you. It's so concerning to read this. May the pred help him quickly! :catlove:

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I wish for my *Prayers* and those of others reading this to have power immediately to help Willy, and you.
Somebody must have heard you.

Because less than 15 minutes from my last post, I got up to go to the bathroom. On the way, I peeked into the closet, and Willy looked fully asleep on the cat bed I put in there.

I came out of the bathroom, and he was at his food dish eating.

He didn't eat much, but he ate some kibble and some treats I put on top.

This whole thing is an emotional rollercoaster. I am bouncing back and forth between thinking he's declining, then improving, then declining, etc. I hate all of this. But of course I will take all the wins that I can get.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Somebody must have heard you.

Because less than 15 minutes from my last post, I got up to go to the bathroom. On the way, I peeked into the closet, and Willy looked fully asleep on the cat bed I put in there.

I came out of the bathroom, and he was at his food dish eating.

He didn't eat much, but he ate some kibble and some treats I put on top.

This whole thing is an emotional rollercoaster. I am bouncing back and forth between thinking he's declining, then improving, then declining, etc. I hate all of this. But of course I will take all the wins that I can get.
*SO grateful!!!*
This is life in microcosm, actually, though most don't think of it that way. No one knows how long they, or their loved ones, will be here. Hopefully your ideology gives you the strength and conviction of knowing that this is only a beginning and that it does not end here. But while here, our best way is to cherish every moment and live our best lives. Also, to do all we can to ensure our loved ones do, too. ;) :goldstar:

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey!
Just a few thoughts....

- let him have his 'closet time', he needs it, he's 'decompressing'; it's perfectly normal, nothing to do with breaking your relationship whatsoever, and, in fact, just ignore it!! Attempts to force him out of these 'retreats' IS what will create/bring on distrust.​
- do you have a way to play music? (This requires that you don't need silence for working.) Google "Cat Music" on Youtube - it works!​
play it low - it will also relax you!​
- somewhere in here I read something about Mirataz tube 'expiring'.....utter BS - ignore that and use until tube empty......also, more Mirataz is NOT better; a standard dose, or even half a dose 'works' well, and we've experienced this here on TCS​
- do you talk to him? If not, start. Have you ever interacted with a baby/toddler? That kind of 'baby talk' with it's wild/crazy intonations really works with cats. Do you answer when he vocalizes? Start. Do it every time. Look/glance at him (just as you would in ordinary human conversations) and do lots of nodding your head at him periodically while you're talking . Always speak softly. Whispers are great too - they really get a cat's attention! Generally, it doesn't matter what you're saying, blabber is perfectly fine. Adding some "sssss" or "zzzzz" to some words also draws att3ention: "Tweetsssss? Youssse wants tweetsssss?" (TREATS, of course!)​
- next time you have to introduce ANYTHING NEW into his environment, do it slooooly and, in steps. I'm thinking now about the collar. You may well need one at some point (like NOW LOL!!!) Frist, just lay it somewhere inconspicuously. Move it around the apartment, here and there - over a period of days. Get to the point where it has 'blended into' the environment. Lay it on his beds/favourite snoozing spots etc. etc. Play with it and him, rubbing it on his head. I think you get the drift. This kind of gradual intro is part of a (proper) intro to harnesses. I just shake my head when I see folks take a harness from the Amazon box, try to put it on the cat.....and, the cat FREAKS!!! Same thing for/with combs/brushes.​

OK - go back to work!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
The ear thing could be giving him a headache perhaps? A cats anatomy does alow for them to have headaches like people. Or he could just be sore from the injury.

Could he have hurt himself when you tried the cone of shame on him earlier? Some cats (and dogs) freak out with the cone on and end up injuring themselves or breaking things (furnature, vases, etc.).

Our golden had the cone after a skin graft was taken on his flank and transfered to the base of his tail ( malignant pilomatricoma) and freaked out with it on. he broke a vase on a side table and hit his head on the table.

We ended up getting a doghnut type blow up one that he didn't mind, tolerated better than the soft cone but only just tolerated.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could he have hurt himself when you tried the cone of shame on him earlier?
Several of you have made good points which I want to address in time, but I first wanted to answer this question and provide a little more context.

I watched him closely the entire time he had the collar on. It is a cone-shaped collar, but a soft one, and I put it loosely around his neck. He did run into a lot of obstacles, but the collar can flex, and so I really don't think he hurt himself that way.

(It's exactly like the one pictured.)

But he could have hurt himself if I left it on, which is why I took it off. If he were to run full speed and hit something, I was worried it could injure him.

But it was more that the general panic he was experiencing made me take it off. I don't want him overly stressed and uncomfortable right now. There is a good chance that chemo just isn't going to work for his case of aggressive LCL (I'm not being pessimistic, just realistic), and I'm sure that staying calm and comfortable will only increase his odds of beating it.

He ate some more tonight... not a full meal, but about half his normal dinner portion. Maybe a little less than half.

I am going to start trying to add things to his food. We've established that he is a dry-food-only cat, but I'm going to try adding broth to a bit of dry food and see if he will go for it. Maybe a combination of dry food with other things will entice him more.

He is no longer sleeping in the closet (he's actually right next to me on the couch right now), but I left a bed in there in case he wants to go back in.

In the meantime, I've had to physically stop him from scratching his ear a few more times tonight, but it hasn't been nearly as excessive as this morning, when he was trying to scratch nonstop.

My vet said it wouldn't hurt to use the antibiotic drops in his injured ear, if anything, to prevent infection. It's not really treating anything unless an infection is confirmed, but given that he's had a bleeding, infected ear in the past, it's not a bad idea to administer the drops again right now, as long as I have them. So I did that tonight (the drops really don't bother him much).

Attachments

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks alot like the one our old dog had that freaked him out. Does willy wear a standard collar with id? Most cones need to be fastened with a flat buckle collar or they kind of go floppy or drift up the neck. If he temporarly remove his dog tags and feed the collar through the loops at the base of the cone. Then buckle it up securing the cone down in place.

If he is not used to wearing a flat buckle collar that complicates things a bit because as you saw he isn't used to things on his neck.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he is not used to wearing a flat buckle collar that complicates things a bit because as you saw he isn't used to things on his neck.
He's never had a collar on in his life. Plus, his tumor is located in the neck area, which even further complicates things.

After his biopsy surgery, the vet did not send him home with a collar on because a collar would have rested on the site of the incisions.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Late evening...

Just one more update before I go to bed.

Willy is doing much better now than he was during the day. He just ate more of his food (so he probably ate 2/3 of a normal meal, altogether), and he is resting nearby while I watch some late-night TV.

I know I freaked him out today in a number of ways... trying to look inside his bloody ear, feeling his tumor area, putting the collar on him, forcing liquid prednisolone into his mouth, etc.

This is the aspect of caring for a sick pet that I hate the most. You have to do things that upset them and even sometimes cause pain, but you have no other choice. And it's heartbreaking when they go hide in a closet because they are afraid of you.

I may try wrapping him tomorrow when it's time to administer the prednisolone. I haven't been doing that because I always had a hard time with it. But if he's restrained, and can't thrash around, it will probably be easier on both of us.

I have to watch some more YouTube videos on wrapping a cat with a towel/blanket to get the hang of it. When I've tried it in the past, I never managed to totally secure him.

Attachments

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Late evening...

Just one more update before I go to bed.

Willy is doing much better now than he was during the day. He just ate more of his food (so he probably ate 2/3 of a normal meal, altogether), and he is resting nearby while I watch some late-night TV.

I know I freaked him out today in a number of ways... trying to look inside his bloody ear, feeling his tumor area, putting the collar on him, forcing liquid prednisolone into his mouth, etc.

This is the aspect of caring for a sick pet that I hate the most. You have to do things that upset them and even sometimes cause pain, but you have no other choice. And it's heartbreaking when they go hide in a closet because they are afraid of you.

I may try wrapping him tomorrow when it's time to administer the prednisolone. I haven't been doing that because I always had a hard time with it. But if he's restrained, and can't thrash around, it will probably be easier on both of us.

I have to watch some more YouTube videos on wrapping a cat with a towel/blanket to get the hang of it. When I've tried it in the past, I never managed to totally secure him.
I got that way with Tag. It felt like every time I approached him, it was for something that wasn't always pleasant or enjoyable and I absolutely hated it. Sometimes it was just the fact that I had to wake him up, which I hated to do when he was sleeping so soundly. Before Goofy passed away 2 weeks ago yesterday, it was the same situation though he wasn't sick for very long. The only thing that helped me (a little) was after each "procedure" I'd tell them that I promised I wasn't doing this to be the "bad guy", I love them very much, and it takes time to heal. Lots of gentle pets, and lots of reminders how much I loved them. With Goofy, I'd give him a lot of really soft blinks, which he seemed to respond to very positively.
If you wrap him, just make sure the sore ear is on the outside (away from you) so if he does thrash, he's not bumping it against you or anything except the blanket you have him purrito wrapped in. And try the blinking when he makes eye contact. I swear, it's like Universal Catspeak for "I'm sorry, and I love you." It seems to be very calming for them.
I'm not sure on the usage, but I've heard that using the German chamomile tea can really sooth anything that's stinging, itching, etc. If his ear still seems itchy, it might be something worth researching and exploring further.
I hope you both have a really great day. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.