Willy might have cancer / high-grade lymphoma Treatment thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: 27 days post-chemo (3rd dose)...

Unfortunately, between yesterday and today, there was a little bit of tumor growth. At least, it feels like it.

One of the things that makes this so hard to read is that the tumors change shape. Like I said before, what happens during growth is smaller nodules forming on/around the surface, and so the tumor can become smaller in terms of surface area under his skin, but larger in terms of outward protrusion.

Our oncologist takes measurements of all the masses, so she will be able to tell me what's actually going on when I take him in tomorrow.

I can't help but obsess over this... I am constantly having huge swings of emotions. Whenever I see a change in the positive direction, I get hopeful, and whenever I see a change in the negative direction, I worry that this treatment is ultimately not going to work well enough.

Also, everything that's going on medically is highly confusing to me. I really observed the prednisolone working again after I started administering it over the last 5 days, but then I see change in the opposite direction.

I really feel like the ideal treatment would be chemo doses every 3 weeks, because week 4 in between doses is when everything starts getting worse. But as I said before, our oncologist found his white cell count to be a little bit low at the end of week 3, and concluded that 3-week intervals would not be possible.

However, that did not stop her from continuing to administer chemo at that time (the interval between the 2nd and 3rd doses was 3 weeks due to the holidays). Which confuses me. If it was okay to do it at that time, isn't there a possibility that we could continue to do it that way? Even if it carried more risk, would it be a possible informed decision that I could make?

These are questions for our oncologist, but I'm wondering if any of you have thoughts on this.
No,not even up for consideration imo- it's too big of a risk for infection with a low white blood cell count and serious complications would arise thst can be avoided by pausing treatment,adjusting dosages accordingly etc

I have no idea why your oncology chose to administer chemo at the shorter intervals but I could not imagine it was solely based on a holiday schedule- I'm sure his cell count,though maybe not ideal and on the low sidd it was satisfactory and within a reasonably safe range-,I would certainly hope so

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: 2 days post-chemo (4th dose)...

Late evening...

There was significant tumor shrinkage between last night and this evening. By my very general estimations (based on feel), the tumor below his left ear is about half the size it was 2 days ago.

Willy is still scratching at it occasionally, but not nearly as frequently as he was last night.

But something in that area below/around his left ear, where his biggest tumor is located, is causing him pain if touched wrong. He vocalized an "ouch" meow a few times if I brushed the area in the wrong place, or applied too much pressure.

So I am trying to only pet him on his right side. He likes cheek/chin rubs, so facial touching is something I've always done... I just can't do it on the left side.

What was most worrisome today was that he paced around for much of the day, settling in different spots, only to get up shortly thereafter and pace around again before settling in a new spot. He didn't get much rest today because he was constantly moving around.

And he was breathing kind of hard while pacing around. I considered that he might have had a fever, so I bought a thermometer and took his rectal temperature, and it was in normal range (the instructions I received were to contact the vet if temp is 102.5 °F or above... He was somewhere around 100 °F).

I'm guessing that chemotherapy just feels terrible, and he was not feeling well. I never had chemotherapy, but I've had my fair share of medical problems, procedures, and treatments that made me feel like crap.

I'm just trying to keep him as comfortable as possible. I've opened my living room radiator valve, which makes it really hot in my apartment, but Willy likes it. And I put extra bowls of water all over the place, which he frequently drinks from. So if the air gets too dry he always has access to water nearby.

I'm hoping he starts feeling better soon. He did not have this kind of reaction after starting on lomustine. But he now has two new chemo drugs in his body, and I'm sure there's an adjustment period.

Also, he fell off the chair while sleeping today! I really don't know how, because it's a large enough chair where he has room on all sides of his body... but he somehow fell off the front.

I was lying down on the couch, facing away from him, and reading a book. Then I suddenly heard a THUD, which gave me a mini jump-scare... I turned to look, and Willy was on the ground in front of the chair, with a confused look on his face (he was truly in a deep sleep before this happened). He then proceeded to frantically groom himself all over.

I remember tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 describing a similar thing with Elvis. But if I recall correctly, Elvis fell off a narrow weight bench. I really don't know how Willy fell off my chair, which has arms on two sides, and a back on the third side, with ample room in all directions.

I have no idea why your oncology chose to administer chemo at the shorter intervals but I could not imagine it was solely based on a holiday schedule
That was just the interval between the second and third chemo appointments. And yes, that interval was scheduled for 3 weeks, because the third appointment was just before Christmas, and the oncologist was on vacation the following week.

During that third appointment, she said Willy's white cell count was "a little low, so we can't do a 3-week schedule in the future." But she did administer chemo then, anyway, for that one instance.

Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise

Late evening...

There was significant tumor shrinkage between last night and this evening. By my very general estimations (based on feel), the tumor below his left ear is about half the size it was 2 days ago.

Willy is still scratching at it occasionally, but not nearly as frequently as he was last night.

But something in that area below/around his left ear, where his biggest tumor is located, is causing him pain if touched wrong. He vocalized an "ouch" meow a few times if I brushed the area in the wrong place, or applied too much pressure.

So I am trying to only pet him on his right side. He likes cheek/chin rubs, so facial touching is something I've always done... I just can't do it on the left side.

What was most worrisome today was that he paced around for much of the day, settling in different spots, only to get up shortly thereafter and pace around again before settling in a new spot. He didn't get much rest today because he was constantly moving around.

And he was breathing kind of hard while pacing around. I considered that he might have had a fever, so I bought a thermometer and took his rectal temperature, and it was in normal range (the instructions I received were to contact the vet if temp is 102.5 °F or above... He was somewhere around 100 °F).

I'm guessing that chemotherapy just feels terrible, and he was not feeling well. I never had chemotherapy, but I've had my fair share of medical problems, procedures, and treatments that made me feel like crap.

I'm just trying to keep him as comfortable as possible. I've opened my living room radiator valve, which makes it really hot in my apartment, but Willy likes it. And I put extra bowls of water all over the place, which he frequently drinks from. So if the air gets too dry he always has access to water nearby.

I'm hoping he starts feeling better soon. He did not have this kind of reaction after starting on lomustine. But he now has two new chemo drugs in his body, and I'm sure there's an adjustment period.

Also, he fell off the chair while sleeping today! I really don't know how, because it's a large enough chair where he has room on all sides of his body... but he somehow fell off the front.

I was lying down on the couch, facing away from him, and reading a book. Then I suddenly heard a THUD, which gave me a mini jump-scare... I turned to look, and Willy was on the ground in front of the chair, with a confused look on his face (he was truly in a deep sleep before this happened). He then proceeded to frantically groom himself all over.

I remember tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 describing a similar thing with Elvis. But if I recall correctly, Elvis fell off a narrow weight bench. I really don't know how Willy fell off my chair, which has arms on two sides, and a back on the third side, with ample room in all directions.

That was just the interval between the second and third chemo appointments. And yes, that interval was scheduled for 3 weeks, because the third appointment was just before Christmas, and the oncologist was on vacation the following week.

During that third appointment, she said Willy's white cell count was "a little low, so we can't do a 3-week schedule in the future." But she did administer chemo then, anyway, for that one instance.
Right ' a little low" was exactly what I suspected- " too low" and she would not have made the decision no matter if she was going on vacation or not- I did not think so

We always have to decide if the pros outweigh the cons,especially with ' life saving' treatment options..... Not easy choices,I've had to make them more times than I care to think about and a few I'd have made differently knowing the long term effects because of such decisions- a colleague once said to me ' but isn't it better than the alternative?" Im not so sure it is to be quite honest

I had wanted to mention that I can relate to Willy enjoying the very hot radiator,lol.Anyone I've ever known ( including myself) that's undergoing chemo just can't get enough heat,it's awful being cold all the time - even in 90 degrees Florida tenps-looking silly with a big wooly sweater on & a blanket on my legs---Chilly Willy (pun intended). Give that boy a big hug from his Auntie down south 😘😺❤

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Late evening...

It sounds like you're making Willy comfy with the heat. 100 is a tiny bit low for a cat, and from what others say here, heat is what he craves.
Yes, Elvis was curled up sound asleep, right on and over the edge of the weight bench, and he must have moved in his sleep, just enough to fall off. I remember occasionally falling out of bed when I was a small kid and being shocked -- 'How did THAT happen?' - so I suppose it was similar for him. Fortunately the room is carpeted, but the padding is minimal. He didn't fall far, though.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: 3 days post-chemo (4th dose)...

Afternoon...

Willy's agitation has stopped. He slept the full night last night ON me, which he never does for more than a little while. I suspect he felt cold, and I was a convenient heating pad to him.

He's been sleeping in his cat bed all day today, with the occasional trips for food/water, then going back to sleep.

I'm glad he's resting like this because it probably means he's not as uncomfortable as he was over the past two days.

Not much else is going on. His facial tumor looks smaller today, but I haven't felt it yet, and don't want to disturb him. Plus, whenever I palpate him, he hates it, and it only adds to my own stress from feeling his tumors. It's difficult not to get obsessed over it and constantly feel around, as it is the only physical marker I have for how he is responding to treatment.

But, I'm trying to lay off of that. It's not good for either of us when I do it frequently.

I don't have the compounded (liquid) prednisolone yet, because the local pharmacy where it was sent in is closed on weekends. I did price it on Chewy, and I can order it there, but I am wary.

https://www.chewy.com/dp/272824

It is $20 cheaper from Chewy ($40 vs. $60 locally), but the Chewy reviews are very mixed. More than a few people say their cats hated the taste, or it was inconsistently mixed and too thick, etc.

But I also don't know what to expect from my local pharmacy, so I was considering asking them if they can give me a smaller quantity first (like maybe a one-week supply), which I can try and see if he hates the flavor before buying a 30-day supply.

(You can pick a flavor for the compounded medication. My local pharmacy offers chicken, tuna, and beef, if I remember correctly. Chewy offers chicken, tuna, beef, marshmallow [weird?], and chicken-marshmallow [even weirder?]. Since flavors can be highly subjective to individual cats, I'd prefer not to buy a month supply that I will struggle with getting into his mouth.)

Also, I can pick it up right away, and don't need to wait for Chewy's shipping time.

In the meantime, I am still giving him prednisolone pills via the the crushing method and putting it on treats. But I'd much rather have the liquid form as soon as I can get it.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Afternoon...

Willy's agitation has stopped. He slept the full night last night ON me, which he never does for more than a little while. I suspect he felt cold, and I was a convenient heating pad to him.

He's been sleeping in his cat bed all day today, with the occasional trips for food/water, then going back to sleep.

I'm glad he's resting like this because it probably means he's not as uncomfortable as he was over the past two days.

Not much else is going on. His facial tumor looks smaller today, but I haven't felt it yet, and don't want to disturb him. Plus, whenever I palpate him, he hates it, and it only adds to my own stress from feeling his tumors. It's difficult not to get obsessed over it and constantly feel around, as it is the only physical marker I have for how he is responding to treatment.

But, I'm trying to lay off of that. It's not good for either of us when I do it frequently.

I don't have the compounded (liquid) prednisolone yet, because the local pharmacy where it was sent in is closed on weekends. I did price it on Chewy, and I can order it there, but I am wary.

https://www.chewy.com/dp/272824

It is $20 cheaper from Chewy ($40 vs. $60 locally), but the Chewy reviews are very mixed. More than a few people say their cats hated the taste, or it was inconsistently mixed and too thick, etc.

But I also don't know what to expect from my local pharmacy, so I was considering asking them if they can give me a smaller quantity first (like maybe a one-week supply), which I can try and see if he hates the flavor before buying a 30-day supply.

(You can pick a flavor for the compounded medication. My local pharmacy offers chicken, tuna, and beef, if I remember correctly. Chewy offers chicken, tuna, beef, marshmallow [weird?], and chicken-marshmallow [even weirder?]. Since flavors can be highly subjective to individual cats, I'd prefer not to buy a month supply that I will struggle with getting into his mouth.)

Also, I can pick it up right away, and don't need to wait for Chewy's shipping time.

In the meantime, I am still giving him prednisolone pills via the the crushing method and putting it on treats. But I'd much rather have the liquid form as soon as I can get it.
*Marshmallow???* Maybe cats love marshmallow. I can't/don't/won't eat this myself, so IDK if Elvis would like it. Though tuna is widely believed to be THE favorite with cats, Elvis is a poultry guy, as was angel Sammi. Beef would be second choice, tuna third, and marshmallow? The jury's out on that one.
Yeah, I know all about obsessing over stuff and also, that it's better not to when possible, especially, as in Willy's case, when it causes him discomfort and you, concern.
Elvis seeks my lap more in cold weather, too. It's one of many benefits of winter, to me.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*Marshmallow???* Maybe cats love marshmallow.
There are more than a few user reviews of this product on Chewy which say that any of the meat flavors are not tolerated by their cats. I read at least one that said marshmallow was tolerated best out of all the flavors.

Oddly enough, Chewy used to carry an unflavored variety, which was tolerated by some cats better. But they discontinued it (there are a few comments in the reviews that mention this).

If I order this product from Chewy I really have no idea how it is compounded, who is doing it, etc. But my local pharmacy specializes in compounding veterinary medicines, and I can go to them locally if I have any problems. I think that's well worth $20 extra.

They just aren't open on weekends, so I have to wait a few more days to get it from them.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe the marshmallow is popular with dogs? Idk weird...

Cats lack the ability to taste sugar but i don't think dogs lack the ability.
Dogs also eat ANYTHING. It's so much easier to give medicine to dogs.

I haven't had a dog since I was still living with my parents as a kid/young adult. But we had several dogs over the years, and giving pills was always extremely easy. All I ever had to do was take a dab of cream cheese, or something of that nature, put a pill on it, and feed it to them. They'd swallow it whole.

I dog-sat for family a few times, and in one case, there were two dogs advanced in years who needed daily medications. It was very easy to get them to ingest it.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The marshmallow thing is weird. Very weird. I'm trying to picture a cat eating a marshmallow!
I think asking for a small batch to try is a good idea. My cat liked the chicken one, and I didn't even try the other flavors. He'd eat it if I put it on his food and mashed it around, no problems.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Dogs also eat ANYTHING. It's so much easier to give medicine to dogs.

I haven't had a dog since I was still living with my parents as a kid/young adult. But we had several dogs over the years, and giving pills was always extremely easy. All I ever had to do was take a dab of cream cheese, or something of that nature, put a pill on it, and feed it to them. They'd swallow it whole.

I dog-sat for family a few times, and in one case, there were two dogs advanced in years who needed daily medications. It was very easy to get them to ingest it.
We kept one who flat out refused the peanut butter the owner provided. I brought back a slice of cheese, made sure I made a ton of noise opening it (that crinkly sound always gets their attention), wrapped the pill up, asked for a sit, and bam. The pill was down the hatch.
Sarah is taking her pill very regularly but once in awhile she'll spit it back out. I make sure to give her a few "chasers" to make sure she'd swallowed enough that I'm certain the pill is actually in her.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your story makes me think, cmshap cmshap that cream cheese might be something cats would like, too. And my mom used to give our beloved cat a little butter or margarine, plain, just for a treat. He loved it. Cats, like us, are individuals. What one loves, another will spurn. So it's worth trying different safe, palatable foods to see which one(s) your cat likes/will eat, right?

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your story makes me think, cmshap cmshap that cream cheese might be something cats would like, too. And my mom used to give our beloved cat a little butter or margarine, plain, just for a treat.
I've never tried it, because many sources always say not to give dairy products to cats.

It might be worth a try. He has always managed to separate the pill from the delivery mechanism in the past, and then spit out the pill... but cream cheese may be worth a shot.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Late evening...

Willy slept literally all day today. He got up a few times to eat and drink a little bit, but he's otherwise been sleeping hard, nonstop.

I put some Mirataz in his right ear (as the left one causes him pain when I put pressure on it). He hasn't had his prednisolone yet today... I have 5 treats coated with the medicine sitting on his plate, but he hasn't had the energy to eat them yet this afternoon.

I'm hoping the Mirataz kicks in soon tonight.

I really don't feel comfortable with forcefully pilling him anymore. I was just gently petting him tonight, and when brushing against his tumor area, he cried a little. I'd have to grip his head and force it into position to pill him, and I just can't deal with hurting him at this point, even if the reason is for his health.

So tomorrow I'm getting the liquid prednisolone for sure.

I'm hoping that the all-day deep sleep is just the way his body is coping with chemotherapy, and it will pass. I've never seen him sleep this deeply for this long before, even after previous chemo doses. (But he is on two simultaneous chemo drugs right now, whereas he was only ever on one in the past.)

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never tried it, because many sources always say not to give dairy products to cats.

It might be worth a try. He has always managed to separate the pill from the delivery mechanism in the past, and then spit out the pill... but cream cheese may be worth a shot.
I've given my cats several types of dairy as an addition or topper to food over the years, never have had a problem. With Willy and his immune system, I understand not wanting to upset any balance he has going on. But if worse comes to worse, I think simply coating a small pill would be worth the try vs. having to pill him. If it causes him pain, I wouldn't pill him either.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree with you, iPappy iPappy and you, cmshap cmshap on not wanting to cause distress to Willy!
And milk is pretty much a no-no, in spite of the common misconception that a bowl of milk is cat food :sigh::nono: but cream cheese, like other mild cheese, may be another thing entirely. I've never heard of a cat having a reaction to cheese. And I'm very lactose intolerant, but can eat cheese without too much pain.
Sleep is strengthening and healing, so really hoping and praying it is helping Willy and that he'll wake up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed soon. He has such a kittenish look!

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: 4 days post-chemo (4th dose)...

Morning...

We have a problem this morning. Willy must have scratched his ear too hard and too deeply, as it started bleeding.

And the more it bleeds, the more he shakes his head, causing it to bleed more. And he continues trying to scratch inside his ear.

I put an e-collar on him, which was the first time he's ever worn one, and he really freaked out. He got really scared, and was running around thrashing and getting stuck on things (trying to go in between chair legs and such). I was afraid he was going to hurt himself so I took it off.

He's resting on my lap right now, and I'm not disturbing him so his ear has a chance to clot properly. It's not actively bleeding right now, but as you can see, it's a mess from all the head-shaking he was doing. I'm waiting before I attempt to clean it up.

Any advice for getting a cat acclimated to an e-collar? It's a soft one and I made sure it wasn't on too tight around his neck, but he really panicked over it.

I also still have antibiotic ear drops from before his biopsy surgery -- a bleeding ear was what kicked off the first vet visit in which his masses were identified and a biopsy was scheduled (it was his right ear at the time; now it is his left). I left my vet a message asking if it may be a good idea to use those drops again, now.

I also have styptic powder, which I used once on his right ear back then, but I think it burns, because he cried in pain. I don't want to be hurting him and making him start distrusting me.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.