Wild And Wonderful Animal Rescue's Feral Cat Tails...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I did really like the clinic we went to today so I am going to start planning another trip there in January... maybe with 6 ferals? Some from Clyde's and some from the Park Colony...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH GOOD! A clinic that you are comfortable with is a blessing with all of those cats!

All the Ferals were boys!
I know you wanted to get some of those poor girls taken care of, but really, when you think of the damage that one intact tom can do in the course of the month, neutering the toms will have a larger effect overall at some point.

Bless you darlin. You are in my prayers daily.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
The boys got to go back home today! I brought my camera with to get some pictures of whoever was around, I forgot my long lens so I only got whoever stayed close.

IMG_5372.jpg

Meet Benny! This blonde and white boy was the only one actually neutered yesterday!

IMG_5379.jpg

Meet Jeeves! Our handsome tuxedo.

IMG_5398.jpg

This guy we named Joe, he was another one who was already neutered that now sports an ear tip!

IMG_5426.jpg

Stumbled upon this black cat napping in the leaves... one of the ones we eartipped... I am thinking Olive, the girl we caught a couple weeks ago.
IMG_5457.jpg

For Nemo's fans lol.
IMG_5464.jpg

They are always so grateful for fresh water. Nemo and Jeeves here.
IMG_5470.jpg

I am surprised that this cat came out while I was sitting there but she ate the whole time I was out. This is the smallest black cat. I am pretty certain it is a girl. She has had some eye gunkies since I have been feeding there, but a few of them to have URIs so I am not surprised. I hope to catch her soon! I don't see her as often as the others.
IMG_5423.jpg

Nemo and the unnamed black female (I think). this is one of the holes that goes under Clyde's house to his basement that they use.
IMG_5472.jpg

The calico playing peekaboo with me. She froze as soon as she saw me and darted back under the house.
I talked to Clyde today and let him know how everything was going. He loved the update. He is hoping to come home soon.

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They certainly are a pretty group, aren't they? I know that Clyde misses them, and I SO HOPE that he gets to come home to them soon.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
We were contacted about a week ago by someone who is hours away needing help here. Her mother passed away and left 4 senior cats behind. Her brother has been living at the house and taking care of the cats but now the house is being foreclosed on and these cats have nowhere to go. This lady lives hours away plus her husband is allergic so that isn't even an option. There is a momma cat that is 11 and her three kittens that are 10. All spayed/neutered but their vaccines needed updated. I reached out to our network of rescues to see if anyone could at least help with one. Seniors are so hard to place now here are 4 with no where to go. Well we had one rescue agree to take the momma if we could update her vaccines and wait a couple of days then they can take her. We had another lady offer to take another one. And I am thinking we can squeeze one more cat in here (not really but we will make it work I guess). These cats were described as friendly, but usually with cats unfamiliar with me I have help come with me to vaccinate them. So me and another rescue lady show up to meet the cats and update their vaccines and then figure out who is taking who and try to find help for the other cat. These cats were NOT friendly. To strangers anyway. We were able to relatively easily vaccinate the long haired boy (who is who I am hoping to take), then we found the two other siblings hiding in a closet. We got the other boy vaccinated. So all that was left was the mom and the daughter. Well they are all overweight, but the daughter more so than any of them, she is probably easily the fattest cat I have ever seen. She had huge mats in her fur on her back from where she can no longer groom herself. And this cat was HATEFUL. We tried every trick in the book but she was not comfortable with us and she was the only one out of the four of them that actually came after us as well. So needless to say we did not get to do her today. Talking to the brother who lives with them he said she is mean like that to him as well. Speaking from a rescue perspective this cat is impossible to place. It is hard enough to find foster homes for friendly adoptable kittens. Let alone a senior, overweight cat that needs socialized. And even if we get a foster home an adoptive home is going to be even harder. The other three I think we can make work, I think they will be friendlier once they settle down and get used to us. But her I don't think we have many options... I expressed to the brother that it would be in her best interest if someone in the family would be able to keep her. He isn't sure if that is possible. I also told him that he needs to get her to the vet and they probably will have to sedate her and shave her to get the mats out of her fur, but she might just be in pain from that and that might be why she is so mean. It is so sad, we are going to try to do everything that we can but it is so heartbreaking. We have two other seniors here that we have had for months and probably will have for the rest of their lives. They just need a retirement home :bawling:

Here are pictures they sent me because you know how I am with pictures.
Screenshot_20171127-122452.png
Screenshot_20171127-122510.png

This tuxedo is one of the boys.
Screenshot_20171127-122456.png

This is the other boy that I am hoping to get. He is beautiful (not that they all aren't but I am looking at adoptablility)
Screenshot_20171127-122513.png Screenshot_20171127-122507.png These pictures are of the mom, she is the skinniest of all of them lol.
Screenshot_20171127-122500.png Screenshot_20171127-122504.png And finally this is the HUGE daughter that caused us so much trouble. I think these pictures are old because her fur isn't matted in that picture and I swear she is bigger now...

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Boy oh boy! Look at their sizes! But they are beautiful!

I hope they are in good health or at least better health and I hope some kind souls will take them in.

Hang on in there kitties!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
They all seemed to be in good health.. except maybe bordering on being diabetic. The tuxedo is a lot fatter now as well than those pictures. And then the matted fur on the daughter. I am hoping they have a family member that will be able to take her. I don't think she has many options with her age and disposition...

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Poor cats.

I think the chubby girl's disposition maybe because she is overweight and uncomfortable. Not being able to groom herself must be making her miserable. Having to carry that extra weight around could be making her back and legs hurt too, she could have started to suffer from arthritis at her age.

I hope she's friendly once she's slimmed down a bit.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
The issue is finding someone to take her on now while she is in this state. We are probably going to have to trap all of them to get them out of the house as it is.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow! Big job! And those cats have spent ten years together.

I hope the daughter begins to slim down and finds a home.

The cats are aware that their owner is gone. :(

I took in 2 cats (a mom and her son) after my friend died last year. They are both middle-aged. It's been a huge transition for them these past 10 months. I'm resigned to keeping them as no one has been interested from my friend's family either. Thankfully I already knew the cats and they are very sweet and not overweight.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No wonder the poor daughter cat is so grumpy. She is so hugely overweight. It must be awful for her. Poor girl. :(
I know the odds are against you finding fosters for them, but it's December now, so maybe you'll get a Christmas miracle. Good luck. :crossfingers:

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
It is just so hard :( Every cat we take in as an emergency case is just that much longer before we can bring Nemo in... I guess at least he has a "home" now. I am sure he will be happy when Clyde comes home, he used to cuddle with Clyde all night.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well...dang. And those are some hefty kittehs! Hekitty is nudging me, saying, "SEE? SEE? I'm not that bad!" If I had the wherewithall, I'd take the daughter, but my lease stipulates ONE ANIMAL ONLY, and Hekitty pretty much agrees with that policy.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
So we were notified about these cuties. They are hanging out at a local restaurants dumpster. Born to a feral mom or abandoned. No one has been able to touch them, someone has been putting food out and made a shelter with straw for them. We went out tonight and didnt see them but it was so dark. We set traps and left but no luck, there were a lot of people coming and going though. We are going to try again early tomorrow morning!
24282149_10215137660017596_1000158595_n.jpg
24282430_10215137660057597_810775228_n.jpg

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH NO! Lighting a candle on this one! Those poor, tiny things...I just hope Mama didn't abandon them when a new litter was born this late in the year!

000000000000000.jpg

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of trapping coming up. I will not be overwhelmed. I will stay inspired. These three tuxedo kittens we tried all night last night unsuccessfully, then this morning I discovered why. There was another shelter and feeding station that I didn't see in the dark full of food. I left a note for whoever is feeding to contact me so that we can coordinate. Then I will be helping another rescue trapping a small colony... a mom and 4 older kittens. The kittens I think are about 7 months old now. They will all be TNRed for now.
Then literally today a different rescue contacted me to help them trap another colony. This one is larger and has been growing for years. There are apparently small kittens so our priority is to trap the kittens ASAP and get them inside and socialized.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You really never know what to expect when you answer the phone or open a message, do you? :)

Must surf over now to check out the little piggy's thread. :hellocomputer:

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Lol, I never know if I want to open my messages sometimes! Busy week ahead... Tomorrow we will be trapping at Clyde's for an appointment for one of his cats on Tuesday. Hopefully we can get one of those trap savy girls! I am hoping to borrow a drop trap from the other rescue. I am pretty sure I could set the drop trap up in Clyde's kitchen and sit in his chair in the living room and I could catch one of them that way! Because they do come out and eat while I am sitting in the living room...
Then Tuesday I am supposed to meet with the person that has a small colony of 5 (one mom and 4 older kittens- a little under a year old it sounds) just to see the area where I will be trapping and make them up a shelter for them. I am going to call this colony the Pine View colony.
At some point I need to head over to the two different locations where I am told there are small feral kittens and try to trap them and get them in out of the cold... sounds like I will start doing that Wednesday? I am not sure I will have time any other evening lol. I have no clue hoe many kittens or how old or how social, so I am really going into this blindly lol.