what's your favorite cat litter?

siruh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love TIDY CATS SCOOP w/ GLADE [emoji]128516[/emoji][emoji]10024[/emoji][emoji]128153[/emoji]

flmickey90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd posted before about loving the Arm & Hammer Clump and Seal, but have recently switched to the Arm & Hammer Clump & Seal Microguard kind.  It did seem to eliminate the odors in the other one, but there was still a bit of a smell there.  But since switching to the Microguard, it seems to be eliminated a bit more.  Not sure if it's just me or all in my head, but I've liked it so far.  Has anyone else tried this kind?  Thoughts?  Or is it in my head, like mentioned.  

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'd posted before about loving the Arm & Hammer Clump and Seal, but have recently switched to the Arm & Hammer Clump & Seal Microguard kind.  It did seem to eliminate the odors in the other one, but there was still a bit of a smell there.  But since switching to the Microguard, it seems to be eliminated a bit more.  Not sure if it's just me or all in my head, but I've liked it so far.  Has anyone else tried this kind?  Thoughts?  Or is it in my head, like mentioned.  
I have. Target had it on sale recently. It's great at odor elimination but I'm starting to NOT like the texture. It's almost like sand. I just bought a box of Swheat at Target yesterday. It was on sale and they had a $3 coupon on the cartwheel app so I got it for about $9. I haven't tried it yet. Right now my favorite litter is the Tidy Cats lightweight. It makes scooping SO easy. The clumps almost float in the litter if that makes any sense.

flmickey90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I have. Target had it on sale recently. It's great at odor elimination but I'm starting to NOT like the texture. It's almost like sand. I just bought a box of Swheat at Target yesterday. It was on sale and they had a $3 coupon on the cartwheel app so I got it for about $9. I haven't tried it yet. Right now my favorite litter is the Tidy Cats lightweight. It makes scooping SO easy. The clumps almost float in the litter if that makes any sense.
I don't have much of a problem with it, but with where we have it in the kitchen (we don't have a space along a wall elsewhere because of the size of apartment) and it's right in front of the freezer which is next to the hideout for the furnace and hot water heater.  So when we go to the freezer we step in it on the floor.  It almost feels like a beach sand texture compared to the others where it poked more.  My previous kitty (who's missing) and my kitty now both likes to dig for china, so am always stepping in it.  I've heard both good and bad about the lightweight kind, and am leery of using it as have heard (well read) more bad than good about it, so I'd rather not use that kind.  I was almost unsure of this kind now, but think will stick with it.  And yes, that does make sense to your last statement!  LOL

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I don't have much of a problem with it, but with where we have it in the kitchen (we don't have a space along a wall elsewhere because of the size of apartment) and it's right in front of the freezer which is next to the hideout for the furnace and hot water heater.  So when we go to the freezer we step in it on the floor.  It almost feels like a beach sand texture compared to the others where it poked more.  My previous kitty (who's missing) and my kitty now both likes to dig for china, so am always stepping in it.  I've heard both good and bad about the lightweight kind, and am leery of using it as have heard (well read) more bad than good about it, so I'd rather not use that kind.  I was almost unsure of this kind now, but think will stick with it.  And yes, that does make sense to your last statement!  LOL
I have a spare room that all the litter boxes are in. Three cats and five boxes. I go through a lot of litter so I look for sales every time I go to the store.

A&H Clump and seal isn't BAD litter but I prefer the way other litters clump.

I used to feel exactly the same way that you do about the lightweights. I also didn't like the fact that you got less for often more money. Then Petsmart had their black Friday sale and 35 pound pails of Tidy Cats were on sale for $7.99. I went and bought 3. Later on that day, I went back to see if they still had any. They didn't. I asked someone if there was any in the back. He looked and said yes. I asked for 3. He brought them out and I saw that they were the lightweight. I mentioned that they weren't on sale. He offered to match the price. I said OK and got them. I should have gotten 10. The cats like it, I like it and when you're scooping five boxes, it makes a big difference. It really does make it easier. I still buy other litters but when there's a sale on TC LW, I stock up.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had great luck with the PetSmart brand Grreat Choice. I get the unsented scoopable and it's worked well for my 5.

flmickey90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I have a spare room that all the litter boxes are in. Three cats and five boxes. I go through a lot of litter so I look for sales every time I go to the store.

A&H Clump and seal isn't BAD litter but I prefer the way other litters clump.

I used to feel exactly the same way that you do about the lightweights. I also didn't like the fact that you got less for often more money. Then Petsmart had their black Friday sale and 35 pound pails of Tidy Cats were on sale for $7.99. I went and bought 3. Later on that day, I went back to see if they still had any. They didn't. I asked someone if there was any in the back. He looked and said yes. I asked for 3. He brought them out and I saw that they were the lightweight. I mentioned that they weren't on sale. He offered to match the price. I said OK and got them. I should have gotten 10. The cats like it, I like it and when you're scooping five boxes, it makes a big difference. It really does make it easier. I still buy other litters but when there's a sale on TC LW, I stock up.
That's great that it works for you and the furbabies!  :)   I guess I'm kind of leery of trying things like that, especially if I've read more negative than positive.  Just have been through a lot with Frannie since adopting her in July and finding out she has asthma after going through so much (especially since I felt I wasn't getting anywhere at the first vet's office --long story there--... which I didn't seem to have to many issues with when I had Shadow and only had one issue with her that scared me (UTI)).  So far she's done well with these litters I'm not wanting to change to something I'm not fully sold on with what I've read about.  

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've recently tried the lightweight type, thinking, cool, easier to haul in to my house right?

Won't be buying it again, it's TOO lightweight and causes it to come out on their paws and all over the floor, what a mess.

I did like how it 'floats' the clumps though :)

A&H, tidy cats, they just don't match the odor elimination and hard clumping action of fresh step.

A tip on high volume litter users, in my cat room (medical/neonatal/nursing moms, recovery) I use wood pellets.

$5.00 for a 40 lb bag, can't go wrong there. Pellets have nothing but wood dust/shavings pressed in to pellets, when they are peed on they break apart and scoop easily, and the poop clumps on top for easy scooping.

Once poop is scooped you can use the scooper as a sifter, scoopful from box, hold over garbage can and shake, the good unused pellets stay and are dumped back in box so you don't use much.

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract!  We were happily using Arm & Hammer Clump & Seal for over a year, but we had to change it since our Coco was having litter box issues.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been using Special Kitty non scented from Wal Mart. It is the clumping kind. I have just been reading though that this bentonite clay ingredient swells when wet and can be dangerous to cats over a period of time. Does anyone know of a clumping cat litter that is made with something besides this clay and where to buy it.

flmickey90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@blueyedgirl5946   I'm using the clump and seal types and have really liked them.  They have several types and from looking at their FAQ page, it doesn't look like any of them contain the bentonite clay you're in question on.  Here's the link to the page.  

http://www.armandhammer.com/faq/petcare.aspx

I've used multi cat clump and seal and there's also a fresh scent (which is a bit strong scent) and I have just switched to the microguard one and have really liked that one.  

Last edited:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise

Hey Goldy Cat - I also cannot use clumping litter due to the SIZE of my cat - he is 23 pounds.  We adopted him from a shelter last year - we already had a smaller cat using clumping litter...when we brought this guy home - the clumping litter was sticking to his paws, tracked all over the house, and then he developed a UTI.  We think while grooming his paws, he ingested the clumping litter  and this started the UTI
So - this Walmart litter Special Kitty has worked for your kitties?
Hey - my 23 pound kitty is healthy and happy now - we went back to clay litter - but the ammonia smell is bad.  We are looking for a better litter.
sk
I have a similar issue with my female Chestnut who is 23 pounds, sometimes the clumping sticks to her bottom and paws, although I did try the Cat's Pride Fresh and Light, it not only worked well, it lasted 3 months.  I use the Worlds Best Cat Litter for my male Simon, he plays in the tub and his box is right next to it so he jumps in and out and the clay was sticking.

With that said, I can't use the Worlds Best in the Summer, with the humidity and hot showers it just absorbs the moisture.  Another big issue is, I'm a city person, and I've found that cockroaches take a liking to the corn litter.  We've never had bug issues, but every so often, I see baby bugs crawling out of the litter box, I don't know if bugs laid eggs before packaging or if we have bugs that are using the litter to lay eggs.  I'm on my last bag and won't use it again, and am searching for the next BEST thing.  In the meantime, the only litter available this week was Arm & Hammer Clump and Seal, it's okay, but the smell is very perfumy.
Unfortunately, Walmart changed their packaging a couple of years ago and I think they changed their formulas at the same time. At any rate, I haven't been able to find the same litter I'd been using. The last Special Kitty I got has more perfume in it than the original I was using. I've gone through quite a few different litters since then and haven't found an unscented clay clumping litter that I like.

I tried Shweat Scoop for a while. The kitties liked the texture and it was good for odor control and pretty good for clumping, but one of my kitties turned out to be highly allergic to wheat. Poor baby was miserable for months until I figured out what was causing her problems. :(

I'm mostly using a crystal litter right now (not clumping). It's great for odor control, but it does get expensive, especially if you have multiple cats. I get the microcrystal type. It's a lot easier on little paws (and bare feet) than the regular crystal chunks.

Last edited:

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My current favorite is Arm and Hammer Naturals double duty. It's nicely scented, made from corn so there's no dust hardly, and it's light weight in texture so it my kitten loves it. It clumps quickly and is easy to scoop, and I've yet to smell anything at all even with her box being in a enclosed space. Of course she helps, since she's already likes to cover her messes up!

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My absolute favorite litter is PractiCat Litter, made by VersaPet Co., Canada.  Very low dust, keeps odors controlled, clumps very tight, natural scent.  I love it.  I am able to buy it at only $4.50 for 15 lbs. bag!

bandc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use sWheat Scoop Multi Cat Clumping Litter. It is made of natural materials and is decomposable. The best thing is that it doesn't smell and is so easy to clean. It is very good for kittens. My babies love it and they will do business only in the litter box. However it is a bit pricey.

lillypie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My girl really seems to like Tidy Cats Multi Cat scoopable; we used to use the Glade one but the scent was just TOO much. We tried switching to a more "natural" litter, we tried Worlds best and Swheat Scoop but they just smelled awful and tracked everywhere :(