what's your favorite cat litter?

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd give Swheat Scoop a try before World's Best. I used WBCL for a while found that while dust was not an issue, it doesn't clump that well and odor control is almost non-existent 

http://www.swheatscoop.com/
I just didn't know if Swheat scoop shipped to the UK or not, I've heard from a few people that it's hard to find good cat things there all together. I'm hoping she can at least get one of the two [emoji]128514[/emoji]

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just didn't know if Swheat scoop shipped to the UK or not, I've heard from a few people that it's hard to find good cat things there all together. I'm hoping she can at least get one of the two [emoji]128514[/emoji]
Amazon UK has it. I was disappointed with the WB though. It's also expensive. Hopefully something will work 

catdaddy007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You could get 10 replies with 10 different answers.
The one that works best for me and my cats is the Walmart brand Special Kitty. It's a coarse sandy texture which the kitties really like. I use the multiple cats clumping litter that is labeled "odor eliminating". It also says it has a fresh scent, but I don't notice any perfumed scent to it. It is low dust and doesn't scatter as much as some litters I've used.
Walmart (at least in Canada) sometimes has one called Economy Cat- even cheaper than Special Kitty, and I find it has the least dust of any clumping clay litter except the new Arm and Hammer Clump & Seal- only problem with that one is the smell, which some don't mind but i find it overpowering. If they'd put out an unscented one it would be perfect as i's really, really good. However, I have an anemic cat right now who eats litter (which can form masses in their intestines and cause blockages), so I changed them- first to corn, which is pretty good (nice smell, light, but clumping is only so-so) and this week I think I found a winner- Fresh 4 Life Eco-clump. Solid clumps, no dust, good door control, light, cats like it. Make from grass so my cat is not trying to eat it.

http://bosleys.com/product/FCM01095/ecoclump-cat-litter-fresh-4-life

happypet6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We continue to mix Tidy multicat with Dr Elseys precious kitty. Clumps very well and virtually no smell. We scoop all 9 boxes several times a day

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We use the cheap SoPhresh clumping litter mixed with a littke Fresh step crystal litter for odor control. All 3 cats use the same large box (with 6-8 inches of litter in it) and we scoop at least twice a day. The box is in a fairly open area (open closet in our living room) and it never smells unless one of the cats (mainly Zazzie) doesn't cover their business.

There have been many times when we have had houseguests over whom don't know where the litterbox is until they see one of the cats go into the closet. They're always surprised that they couldn't smell it in the room at all!

aytees

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've tried lots of clumping litter, but my favourite BY FAR for eliminating odours is ProNature. It's made by a Canadian company, so I'm not sure if it's available elsewhere.

The cat sanctuary I got my new cat from was using wood pellets and it didn't stink in there at all. I may try that, if my older cat doesn't object. I'll have a separate box with it to see if it's used.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I see all these light weight litters and was wondering if anyone has used them and what they think about them.

catlitterguru

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't bother with any of the lightweight stuff. The ones I tried were the Tidy Cats version and regretted it. The middle is hollow which means that the pellets breaks when stepped on or pushed around. They become dust and the area around the litter box got so dusty!

klgrube

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
May I ask if you tried any of the other lightweight litters?  I agree about the dust with TidyCat.  I use it, but I don't like it.  I do want one with less dust but that also provides hard clumps.  I have a really hard time handling the heaver, non-lightweight, litters, so any good suggestions would be helpful.  And yeah, I'm going to let TidyCat know I don't like all the dust.

dbeckmann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've tried a ton in the past few years, but I always come back to this one. With ten kitties and a few more on the way, I go through about four boxes a month.

I tried the green one (Odor control, I believe) last month and it was absolutely terrible, though. Lots of dust that irritated my cats and made my boxes smell disgusting. 

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My answer is not light-weight, but I have it delivered, so I don't have to haul it around.  It's SoPhresh scoopable litter, available at Petco or through their website, or most economically through Drs.FosterSmith.com.  I buy the 30# tubs, which are refillable at Petco stores or you can recycle them.  We've used it for years -- very good odor control, unscented, which cats prefer, and low-dust.  

klgrube

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the recommendations, but I was asking if anyone has found an acceptable lightweight litter brand.  I really can't lift or store large quantities of the others, so it is REALLY important that I find a decent lightweight, if an acceptable one exists that clumps well, tracks less, and has nearly NO dust.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
it doesn't clump per say, but you might try pellet litters, like the litter breeze system. They're as near to dust free as you can get, and are low odor as long as you don't ignore them.  not all cats like pellet litter, but it really is nice if you can get them to use it.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Tidy cats lightweight 4 in one and with glade black and silver lids. are the ones my cats and I like. People who visit often say they don't even know i have cats. Lightweight is also nice on green bin day makes the bin easy to carry.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no perfect litter.  The hardest clumping litters are clay, and clay is heavy.  The lightweight litters usually don't clump as reliably and they usually track worse than clay.

I personally prefer an unscented clumping clay similar to the SoPhresh recommended by Tarasgirl.  It sounds like the Pet Supplies Plus house brand, which I buy in 40 lb boxes for $12.00.

You have to pick your top priorities:  clumping, tracking, (un)scented, or weight.  No litter seems to have all of them.  I hear you about the weight though.  That 40 lb box is about my lifting limit to be able to haul out of my car and chunk down in my entryway.  If I continue to get more frail with age I'll still buy the unscented clumping clay litter...but I'll be carrying four plastic shoe boxes out to the car and scooping the 40 lb box of litter into four boxes at 10 lbs each, instead of trying to carry one heavy box from the car to the door.

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Thanks for the recommendations, but I was asking if anyone has found an acceptable lightweight litter brand.  I really can't lift or store large quantities of the others, so it is REALLY important that I find a decent lightweight, if an acceptable one exists that clumps well, tracks less, and has nearly NO dust.
The Fresh 4 Life Eco-Clump litter sold at Pet Valu might be worth testing out.

I started a thread on it a while back  and I'm still interested in trying it (so I have no personal experience with the product), but it seems to have positive reviews.  The biggest downside is the cost, which is why I haven't run out to purchase it already.