what's your favorite cat litter?

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had Sassy on pine litter, but Matt won't use it.....he prefers clumping, but I haven't found one I like yet............................what litters do YOU like?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You could get 10 replies with 10 different answers. :rolleyes: The one that works best for me and my cats is the Walmart brand Special Kitty. It's a coarse sandy texture which the kitties really like. I use the multiple cats clumping litter that is labeled "odor eliminating". It also says it has a fresh scent, but I don't notice any perfumed scent to it. It is low dust and doesn't scatter as much as some litters I've used.

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with Gold Cat, that people will all reply with something totally different. But, from previous threads I've seen, most of us TCSrs use some of the same brands for the different types.

With that being said.. My favorite litter is Dr Elseys Precious Cat Ultra because it truly is almost dust free.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I tried Dr. Elsey's once just because I had a coupon. I found that the dust was almost exactly the same as Special Kitty.

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use OdourBuster. I was using Feline Fresh but when the price took a huge increase, I wanted to change. I didn't want to use a corn litter, so World's Best was out for me. I tried Swheat Scoop and hated it. My dogs loved it though, they ripped through the bag and ate a ton of it. Did I mention Sadie is allergic to grain and Fynn never gets any anyways? The next couple of days were interesting... I finally settled on OdourBuster - it clumps well, really helps with odours, is low dust (unless you get a batch from the end of the production, then I find there's a bit of dust), overall I'm happy with it. That being said, if Feline Fresh lowered their price, I'd go back to them. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Feline fresh is what i prefer to use...though Matt has other ideas....when i first got him he didn't even know it was litter, and in the absence of a recognizable litter box that first day, he had a panic attack and went in the tub! Luckily we had been short on cash once while we had Sassy and figured out his issue...I used an old dishpan and put down the remainder of the dollar store litter we'd bought way-back-when and he used that. I did try mixing litter, and moving him over, but as soon as i get close to 75% pine he stops burying and sometimes even goes outside the box.. so I'm on the hut for a decent clumping clay

I tried Arm and hammer, but accidentally bought scented.....BOY WAS IT SCENTED! It stunk up my whole basement and made me sneeze...but Matt seemed to like it Lol.

I don't mind Special kitty.........as long as i make it deep,since Matt will make puddles on the bottom of the pan with cheaper litters.

I bought Maxx Scoop, thinking the name was good....and didn't check the bag first......it is non clumping, and HORRIBLE! I will never buy non clumping again..I actually mixed the last of my pine in to absorb the liquid, and have poured it as deep as humanly possible just to use it up. and the cat is taking the risk of interruption and using the upstairs box, which still has the good stuff in it, rather than then wretched box in the basement. next payday that stuff goes right outside whether its used up or not......in the meantime, I'd like to find out what the cats(and their owners) like so I don't make this mistake again lol

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All of the AH litters we sells at work are scented, I'm not sure if every variety they have is or not, but it's either in really small printing on the front, side or back - doesn't seem to be consistent between each variety, so you really have to search, lol. 

OdourBuster is by far our best selling litter and it's the one that all of my coworkers use. We really like it. It is a clay litter, pretty finely ground. 

Our next best selling is Fresh 4 Life, either the unscented regular or multicat, but I don't know if they'll have it where you are. I believe it's a store brand, but I'm not 100% sure on that. 

I tried the regular Maxx Scoop and the small spaces one, the regular one was just ok, the small spaces was horrible. 

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
looks like fresh 4 life  pet valu's brand.....i can get that, But i'll try odor buster first since it's so popular.  I don't even like clay litter, but i like messes on the floor even less

On this argument, the cat wins.....what a pain in the rear this cat is turning out to be lol......sensitive gi tract picky litterbox user, temperamental as all getout and gets upset when left home alone for long to  boot! And if that's not all enough,he plays tooth and claws and tries to escape at every chance he gets....UGH.....maybe he'll settle down as he gets older, but at least he's not homeless any more. We had planned on getting him a companion cat shortly after we got him, but he costs us so much we can't afford a second cat....he seems to need the best of everything, and if we cheap out, he reacts badly

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Arm and Hammer Super Scoop. It has "Fragrance Free" in big letters in the lower corner. Although, I don't mind the one with the fragrance. I like it because it does have baking soda in it, which is what I used to put in the litter box in the old days - before litter became big business.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I like World's Best Cat Litter. it's on the pricier side.. but I don't have to change the litter 100% as often as most other brands.

It's a little dusty, but far less dusty than clay litter. Holds the odor very well (unless cats forget to cover!).. and I don't mind the corn smell upon opening the bag.

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like World's Best Cat Litter. it's on the pricier side.. but I don't have to change the litter 100% as often as most other brands.

It's a little dusty, but far less dusty than clay litter. Holds the odor very well (unless cats forget to cover!).. and I don't mind the corn smell upon opening the bag.
i don't mind the dust, since he's not a big digger.....I wonder if he'd take any better to corn than he did pine? he doesn't like the texture of the feline fresh i'm sure...as he walks with his toes spread out and gets out of that box as fast as possible. I only had to change that about once a month, what's the corn like?

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you don't mind clay litters, I've found Fresh Step to be the BEST. The best clumping AND the best odor blocking. I can't remember if I would buy the scented or unscented. DON'T buy the Extreme kind. Its apparently is way too strongly scented.
But, I decided I wanted to be more environmentally friendly, so now I'm with World's Best. It clumps okay, and blocks odor well as long as you scoop every day. The tracking is WAY better though. It's so nice not having random litter all over the house. xD

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i don't mind the dust, since he's not a big digger.....I wonder if he'd take any better to corn than he did pine? he doesn't like the texture of the feline fresh i'm sure...as he walks with his toes spread out and gets out of that box as fast as possible. I only had to change that about once a month, what's the corn like?
I am also a huge fan of World's Best. As far as I know it's a bigger granule than clay litters but is not too much. It's great at absorption and odor control- even for those who like to dig all the way to the bottom! 

Most pet stores will let you return the bag if you cat doesnt like it- I would look into that policy and give it a shot! 

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I am also a huge fan of World's Best. As far as I know it's a bigger granule than clay litters but is not too much. It's great at absorption and odor control- even for those who like to dig all the way to the bottom! 

Most pet stores will let you return the bag if you cat doesnt like it- I would look into that policy and give it a shot! 
I would definitely go with a store that will let you return the litter if your cat doesn't like it. It gets really expensive trying out different brands/kinds. The main thing is to find something your cat(s) will actually use.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both Petsmart and Petco have very general return policies- both say just bring it back in the original packaging with receipt for a refund. I have returned opened food before that the cat didn't like so I would assume litter is the same. 

I also looked on the World's Best Website and they have a money back guarantee that you can read here: http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/guarantee/ . The only time most pet stores won't take something back used is if the manufacturer won't reimburse them. With this guarantee there shouldn't be a problem. 

Also, I saw that right now they have a rebate for a free bag. That alone makes it worth trying!  http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/free-bag-rebate/

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could get 10 replies with 10 different answers.
Very true 

I use wood pellets in purpose made sieve trays, very economical, long lasting, controls odour. Safe for cats and kittens, no dust and no tracking. 

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You could get 10 replies with 10 different answers.
The one that works best for me and my cats is the Walmart brand Special Kitty. It's a coarse sandy texture which the kitties really like. I use the multiple cats clumping litter that is labeled "odor eliminating". It also says it has a fresh scent, but I don't notice any perfumed scent to it. It is low dust and doesn't scatter as much as some litters I've used.
And I did too.............very helpful answers
 Worlds best seems to have rave reviews, though I'd like to see it for myself...will check at my pet store and see how it stacks up to the feline fresh that he won't let me use. i scoop any time I know he's used it, so I'm not at all worried about if it can handle being left for days lol...............I'd just be happy to get him off gravel. if not that though, to find a decent gravel that clumps well and doesn't stink up my basement