what's your favorite cat litter?

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible he just needs his own private box?

Litter doesn't clump unless it is wet and I know that my two boys (hovering at 14 pounds each) can pee a good puddle when they go, so I have to scoop almost every time one of them pees (they prefer to share one large box. I had a second one, but neither of them would use it - ever). He might just need a bigger box?

Also, you might want to put a textured rug right outside the box so he 'wipes' his paws when he gets out.

My opinion on pine pellets  (or any other non-clumping litter) is that you have to be johnny-on-the-spot cleaning the litter, otherwise your cat is pawing in damp (urine saturated) pellets and once they get wet, they break down and it's a mess. I don't want my cats pawing in wet litter and getting pee on their feet. It's also more troublesome wondering when and how often to change the litter because, once it's wet - it's wet. 

luckysmom634

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
WOW!  THX so much for the responses!!

What cat litter can I buy that is "Non-Clumping"? Every cat litter I see in the market is clumping.

I have 3 litter boxes now...2 cats...I have to keep their stuff in my garage away from my rescued 125 pound German Shepard "Chewy" who LOVES cat poop treats. 

My house is one floor - so we use a cat flip door (Chewy cannot get through this) for the kitties to use the litter and eat in our heated 2.5 car garage.

My cats are both using the litter boxes - but Lucky is tracking the litter and cleaning his paws/ingesting the clumping litter and throwing up.  Not good.

luckysmom634

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure how I could do a private litter box.

I have 2 cats and a dog.

Maybe larger litter boxes will work - but I was hesitant because this 23 pound cat was having mobility issues.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Not sure how I could do a private litter box.

I have 2 cats and a dog.

Maybe larger litter boxes will work - but I was hesitant because this 23 pound cat was having mobility issues.
Usually all cheaper brand litter is non-clumping. I get mine from Walmart, Special Kitty, in the red bag, at Tractor Supply, its the Paws and Claws litter in the green bag, its usually stated on the bag, non-clumping. I know that the cat's Pride in the bags are non-clumping, at least all the ones I've ever seen of Cat's Pride.

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For mobility issues (weight, post-surgery, kittens), you can always use an aluminum baking pan from Walmart or the dollar store. The side can be bent down a little to accommodate if necessary. They are very inexpensive.

luckysmom634

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This morning, I found blood in his urine. Took him back to the shelter vet, he has a UTI with "sand"...I had to buy a prescription food...Royal Canin Feline Urinary SO...$40.00 for 8 pounds....He is now on pain meds and antibiotics for 2 weeks, and no other kind of food. We had to separate him from the other pets.

I am in tears.  This cat was at the shelter for 3 months before I found him.  He is 23 pounds/6.5 years old....He was surrendered because the original owners could no longer afford his care?????  Lucky should have been on premium cat food while at this shelter.  I have another adopted cat, Ming...no UTI's and I ALWAYS use premium cat/dog food (Blue Buffalo/Purina Pro Plan).  This shelter vet would not confirm that this UTI issue was an issue before our adoption.

Even though I adopted Lucky only 5 weeks ago, they charged me the full price for the visit this morning.  If this cat had been adopted my anyone else, he would been euthanized this morning.  Lucky is a huge sweet, gentle, loving, purring guy.  I am retired and on a fixed income.   I need info about food that is affordable for a cat with this issue.

Maybe I need to join another thread?  This cat has been trying like heck to use the litter box!

THX - Luckysmom

bz2t0ne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use Fresh News which is a recycled newspaper/ soft pallet style litter.  It's not a clumping litter but it soaks up odors and urine fast.  I have two long-hairs and this is the only litter that they don't track around the house and it's easy to clean what they kick out with a vacuum (in seconds).  Plus it is very cheap for a large bag.  Scooping can be kind of a chore with it but the paper dries out the poos quickly and makes them easy to remove.  My cats love it and so do I.

(There's a lot of comments to read through so sorry to those who may have mentioned this since I didn't read them all)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

This morning, I found blood in his urine. Took him back to the shelter vet, he has a UTI with "sand"...I had to buy a prescription food...Royal Canin Feline Urinary SO...$40.00 for 8 pounds....He is now on pain meds and antibiotics for 2 weeks, and no other kind of food. We had to separate him from the other pets.

I am in tears.  This cat was at the shelter for 3 months before I found him.  He is 23 pounds/6.5 years old....He was surrendered because the original owners could no longer afford his care?????  Lucky should have been on premium cat food while at this shelter.  I have another adopted cat, Ming...no UTI's and I ALWAYS use premium cat/dog food (Blue Buffalo/Purina Pro Plan).  This shelter vet would not confirm that this UTI issue was an issue before our adoption.

Even though I adopted Lucky only 5 weeks ago, they charged me the full price for the visit this morning.  If this cat had been adopted my anyone else, he would been euthanized this morning.  Lucky is a huge sweet, gentle, loving, purring guy.  I am retired and on a fixed income.   I need info about food that is affordable for a cat with this issue.

Maybe I need to join another thread?  This cat has been trying like heck to use the litter box!

THX - Luckysmom
Yes; please start a thread describing Lucky's situation in the Cat Health Forum.  The folks who have experience with this issue are more likely to see you post there.  (http://www.thecatsite.com/f/4/cat-health)  Poor guy. 

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Luckysmom634   To post pics just click "Start a New Thread "  or " Post a Reply "  click on the photo icon   ( it is the first icon in the 5th box )  and choose the photos you want to post ..

Last edited:

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

THX - Luckysmom
I suggest you  get him the canned version of the rx food. It is very important that he has enough fluid going through his bladder. I don't know if it is an option but you could see if thee Vet would advise you to feed the C/D kind from Hill's that's the urinary diet.  They usually offer coupons and deals.

wendalore

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adore The Word's Best Cat Litter (even though it's a dumb name.) It doesn't smell, whether it's the scented or the non. I love the lavender scented and the 3 cats I've had have use it with no problem. It does smell when there there are feces in it, It disguises the smell of them a little but not much. But I've never left those it a cat's litter box anyway. As soon as I'm aware of anything my cat has done in the box, it's gone. 

The World's Best clumps well, but you should wait about 15 minutes to be sure. Otherwise it falls apart a little. I can't think of what else to say! I "love" the lavender smell, and I love the clumping and I love the fact that you can flush it.  My cat tracks it a little.  Thing is, before I got my cats, I always said I could not stand to have a cat b/c of how the litter smells. Now I don't have that problem.

I've even used little dishes of the lavender as room deodorizer and pinches of it in the vacuum cleaner.  As I say, when the cat pees, there is a slight odor when you are scooping it, but it's nothing like what clay smells like. People say it costs a little more. I dunno, I think it lasts longer.

have a good one!

catlover123abc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
While many of the World's Best products are quite good (especially the Lavender scent which is one of the few scented litters that don't overpower my smell), I'm going to have to go with Precious Cat Ultra.  The combination of amazing clumping and fantastic price makes it perfect in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Tigerino Crystals, its a silica litter. Non clumping. I really do not mind that it doesn't clump, because It absorbs the pee so well that I don't smell anything at all. And she seems to love it. She can really get in there and enjoy digging, lol. The pieces are quite big though so it gets between her paws and I can find pieces all around the house... So I'm going to try a different litter in one of the boxes soon. Probably even today, now that I'm thinking about it. I've really enjoyed this litter and I'll keep using it downstairs (she has to go up the stairs when she leaves and that gets rid of the litter between her toes, as the carpet on our stairs is really rough) because it's truly odour free. Now I just need a truly odour free one for up here that doesn't leave litter all around the house.

missredredhead

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Call me cray, but I find that litter - the pellet type - made from tofu, corn or wood are more accessible and readily available in Asian countries.  It started in Japan really - I'm in Hong Kong - and I used to be the traditional clay clumping litter person... until I found out about tofu pellet litters.  GAME-CHANGER, FO SHO.  Minimal mess, clean nutty scent, and practically NO odor even right after potty.  (Well, the diet's important too on this one, but the litter surely helps.)  

luckysmom634

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey Goldy Cat - I also cannot use clumping litter due to the SIZE of my cat - he is 23 pounds.  We adopted him from a shelter last year - we already had a smaller cat using clumping litter...when we brought this guy home - the clumping litter was sticking to his paws, tracked all over the house, and then he developed a UTI.  We think while grooming his paws, he ingested the clumping litter  and this started the UTI

So - this Walmart litter Special Kitty has worked for your kitties?

Hey - my 23 pound kitty is healthy and happy now - we went back to clay litter - but the ammonia smell is bad.  We are looking for a better litter.

sk

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the Arm & Hammer Multicat Clump and Seal the best, but I only have one cat. I tried World's Best Litter, and to my mind, it's the world's worst litter. It is corn, so my cat had to eat it first. Then, the box says it's clumping, but what few clumps there were fell apart as soon as I scooped. It's impossible to get all the crumbs.

We have a local grocery store nearby that has the best meat market in town, but routine grocery items are rather sketchy. I was there one day and needed cat litter. Of the six brands on the shelf, only one was the clumping type, and it was a brand I've never used before. I was surprised - I almost shouted, "Everybody wants clumping litter, you guys!"  Tidy Cats nonclumping clay litter is available everywhere.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hey Goldy Cat - I also cannot use clumping litter due to the SIZE of my cat - he is 23 pounds.  We adopted him from a shelter last year - we already had a smaller cat using clumping litter...when we brought this guy home - the clumping litter was sticking to his paws, tracked all over the house, and then he developed a UTI.  We think while grooming his paws, he ingested the clumping litter  and this started the UTI

So - this Walmart litter Special Kitty has worked for your kitties?

Hey - my 23 pound kitty is healthy and happy now - we went back to clay litter - but the ammonia smell is bad.  We are looking for a better litter.

sk
I have a similar issue with my female Chestnut who is 23 pounds, sometimes the clumping sticks to her bottom and paws, although I did try the Cat's Pride Fresh and Light, it not only worked well, it lasted 3 months.  I use the Worlds Best Cat Litter for my male Simon, he plays in the tub and his box is right next to it so he jumps in and out and the clay was sticking.

With that said, I can't use the Worlds Best in the Summer, with the humidity and hot showers it just absorbs the moisture.  Another big issue is, I'm a city person, and I've found that cockroaches take a liking to the corn litter.  We've never had bug issues, but every so often, I see baby bugs crawling out of the litter box, I don't know if bugs laid eggs before packaging or if we have bugs that are using the litter to lay eggs.  I'm on my last bag and won't use it again, and am searching for the next BEST thing.  In the meantime, the only litter available this week was Arm & Hammer Clump and Seal, it's okay, but the smell is very perfumy.