What's something good that happened in the last 24 hours? - 2017

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd LOVE to know about earth boxes! Can I have one on a smallish patio? That's about all the space I have.

OH...pictures. Yes, indeed!

View attachment 183765 View attachment 183766

Just to the left of the desk is the daybed. I HAD planned to turn the desk and printer 90 degrees to the wall to form two areas, guest room, and office/library, but Hekitty loves that she can lie on the daybed and get loved on while I'm on the computer. I just can't move things around. Yes, my cat runs my house. Doesn't everyone's?

New good stuff: My sweet new next-door neighbor brought her boyfriend over yesterday to reverse my bedframe. When I moved, the guys who moved me put it in with the foot up against the wall. It wasn't locked in properly, and the twin boxsprings have been slowly moving apart. I was afraid that eventually, I'd end up in a canyon in the middle of the bed, stuck! I slept SO much better last night! I swear it was physically more comfortable.
The long awaited drapes are very pretty! Is the bookcase in the picture the one you put together?

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you got the bed fixed. Good sleep is important.

Take a look at the Earth Boxes at the top of this discussion page. The Earth Boxes are shown with the TAM Mild labels.

They work really well, even for small spaces like apartment patios. They're self-watering boxes. You fill the reservoir periodically and the water wicks up into the plant as necessary. You only fertilize once a season. There's a cover on the box the the plant pokes through so there's no weekend, and pests, other than the flying kind, are at a minimum, too. The drawback is that they're a bit expensive, so you order them through the EarthBox website. However, they last really well. I have some that are about 15 years old. You don't need the soil and such kit.

EarthBox® | Successful Container Gardening Systems

I don't plant as many plants per box as they suggest so the plants aren't crowded. They say two tomatoes, but I put one because I plant indeterminate, which are much bigger and vining. I put two pepper plants where they say three or four. Still, I get excellent crops. Right now the grape tomatoes are going crazy. My other half brought in a full pint, and I suspect he harvested twice that many. For some reason, only half of what he picks makes it into the house. Tomatoes suck up huge amounts of water when they get big. The jalapeños are full of babies and we've already harvested over two dozen with more on the plants.

Good luck!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH THANK YOU! I pinned the link to my Container Gardening pin. I've been trying to find something that looked workable for my situation for a bit, and I think this will do it!

Yes, that is one of the four bookcases I now have. One more for in here, and the bedspread, and...I just found a pretty little student desk in the same finish as the bookcases, so that's now on the list. My old one can move over by the door to act as a book processing station. When I get books, they are entered in my computer, then get a bookplate, and if they are part of a series, a label on the spine. I then stack them in the order I want to read them in. It'll be nice to have something better than that old plastic shelving unit. AND I can hide the litterbox beneath it.

SO...the good things for the last 24 hours are: I have a link for container gardening, AND I got the fourth bookcase done!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
We finally got the vegetable garden planted.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We went to a zoo about an hour away I'd never been to before. It's a smaller zoo but it's also free to get into (accepting donations). I found out they do homeschool classes that focus on things like conservation, local ecology, identifying eggs or exploring skeletons, birds of prey, etc. It looks like something we will be taking advantage of now that I know how to get there! :clap:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I ran my expenses down for this next check, and not only will I be able to get BOTH the toner for my printer AND the flea meds (guess which one comes first!), BUT I will have enough discretionary cash to order 3 or 4 books! :woohoo:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Finally got my allergy shots.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
UM...I DID NOT burn the house down. I was boiling a BIG pot of water for drinking (problems with the city supply, we are advised to boil all water for consumption until testing is completed, drat it), got on the computer and forgot about it! I smelled something funny and found it boiled dry. The stove top is covered in brown. I have to finish up here and go clean but I GOT THERE IN TIME!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I've been able to trick Abby into taking her pill. :crossfingers:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
We got our new medical insurance cards in.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Social Security check is in the bank. Shopping tomorrow. It's a lovely, gray, rainy day, and I'm going to NAP soon!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I just returned home after visiting my daughter for 5 days. She is a newlywed but we have a very good mother/daughter bond. I feel so blessed to have her in my life.:hearthrob:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I got my downstairs cleaned. It really is an accomplishment. :lol:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My shopping is done for the month, I have half a gallon of Breakup Chocolate ice cream in the freezer, I have a new pair of peddle pushers (those are the shortest ones. Clam diggers are a couple of inches over the ankle, capris are mid-calf and peddle pushers are at the top of the calf) in a lightweight denim. FINALLY out of those hot jeans! AND there is enough in the budget to order BOOKS!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I cut a few small bushes down in front of the house yesterday. It looks neater already. :)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My cookie sheets were delivered.
I love cookies, what type do you like to bake? :yummy: When should I be over? I'll bring the coffee or tea.

Sorry, I just realized this was an old post but I still love the aroma of cookies baking. :D

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We went to a wonderful farmer's market followed by an art festival today. I bought fresh asparagus, zucchini and basil while my hubby bought a 4 berry pie. At the art show I bought a handmade silver charm that I'm going to wear as a necklace - it has a pic of a cat and says, "I rescued my human." This is what it looks like......
cat rescue necklace.jpg

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love your charm necklace. Actually my cats did rescue me. I don't know what I would have done without them the 18 years that I had them.

Muffy