What's something good that happened in the last 24 hours? - 2017

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
i can understand that! i don't mind snakes generally, it's just that it can be hard to know which ones are venomous, so i prefer to avoid them.

thank you so much for the info on growing the black diamond watermelons! i'd love to have a veggie garden and grow some fruit, but it's not something i can do where i live now.

The Pickett House sounds like a lovely place!

here's the recipe i use for watermelon rind jelly -- Watermelon Rind Jelly the same site also has a pickled watermelon rind recipe -- Pickled Watermelon Rind -- which i've never tried.

good news today is that the (mild) infection in my leg seems to have turned the corner, and is no longer red, hot to the touch, and painful. :woo:
I'm glad your leg is better. That's nasty stuff. Don't overdo things just because you're feeling better.

Please send us some pictures of the completed curtains and bookcases.

The most common poisonous snakes in my area are copperheads, which are nasty big critters.

Have you tried Earth Boxes? They work really well, even for small spaces like apartment patios. They're self-watering boxes. You fill the reservoir periodically and the water wicks up into the plant as necessary. You only fertilize once a season. There's a cover on the box the the plant pokes through so there's no weekend, and pests, other than the flying kind, are at a minimum, too. The drawback is that they're a bit expensive, so you order them through the EarthBox website. However, they last really well. I have some that are about 15 years old.

I don't plant as many plants per box as they suggest so the plants aren't crowded. They say two tomatoes, but I put one because I plant indeterminate, which are much bigger and vining. I put two pepper plants where they say three or four. Still, I get excellent crops. Right now the grape tomatoes are going crazy. My other half brought in a full pint, and I suspect he harvested twice that many. For some reason, only half of what he picks makes it into the house. Tomatoes suck up huge amounts of water when they get big. The jalapeños are full of babies and we've already harvested over half a dozen with more on the plants.

I also have a lot of pots for my veggies, mostly tomatoes and peppers, mild, hot, hotter, and holy cow! There are also herbs. Gotta have catnip, of course, plus 4 kinds of mint, basil, oregano, marjoram, thyme, sage, rosemary, chives, parsley, and Mexican mint marigold (Texas tarragon). I also planted cucumbers, eggplant, green beans, and zucchini, all in pots. The pots aren't self-watering, but everything is on a drip system.

These photos were taken on May 1, when everything was still young. The Sweet Millions are grape tomatoes. They're now over the top the trellis.

IMG_0369.jpg
IMG_0354.jpg
IMG_0357.jpg
IMG_0349.jpg
IMG_0346.jpg

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad your leg is better. That's nasty stuff. Don't overdo things just because you're feeling better.

The most common poisonous snakes in my area are copperheads, which are nasty big critters.

Have you tried Earth Boxes? They work really well, even for small spaces like apartment patios. They're self-watering boxes. You fill the reservoir periodically and the water wicks up into the plant as necessary. You only fertilize once a season. There's a cover on the box the the plant pokes through so there's no weekend, and pests, other than the flying kind, are at a minimum, too. The drawback is that they're a bit expensive, so you order them through the EarthBox website. However, they last really well. I have some that are about 15 years old.

I don't plant as many plants per box as they suggest so the plants aren't crowded. They say two tomatoes, but I put one because I plant indeterminate, which are much bigger and vining. I put two pepper plants where they say three or four. Still, I get excellent crops. Right now the grape tomatoes are going crazy. My other half brought in a full pint, and I suspect he harvested twice that many. For some reason, only half of what he picks makes it into the house. Tomatoes suck up huge amounts of water when they get big. The jalapeños are full of babies and we've already harvested over half a dozen with more on the plants.

I also have a lot of pots for my veggies, mostly tomatoes and peppers, mild, hot, hotter, and holy cow! There are also herbs. Gotta have catnip, of course, plus 4 kinds of mint, basil, oregano, marjoram, thyme, sage, rosemary, chives, parsley, and Mexican mint marigold (Texas tarragon). I also planted cucumbers, eggplant, green beans, and zucchini, all in pots. The pots aren't self-watering, but everything is on a drip system.

These photos were taken on May 1, when everything was still young. The Sweet Millions are grape tomatoes. They're now over the top the trellis.

View attachment 182274 View attachment 182275 View attachment 182276 View attachment 182277 View attachment 182278
Oops! I forgot to mention the good things that happened today.

I found a prescription I really needed that Harrigan, our resident poltergeist, had craftily hidden between the seats of the car, an impossible place for it to be.

We polished off that delicious chicken pot pie so none of it went to waste, but it went to waist.

My other half finally finished putting down the quarter round on the new kitchen and breakfast area floors he put down in December.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

View attachment 182274 View attachment 182275 View attachment 182276 View attachment 182277 View attachment 182278
thank you! :) not overdoing it here, i wanna make sure the infection is truly gone before i continue with the more strenuous things needing doing.

i don't think we have many poisonous snakes here, in upstate New York -- thank goodness!

earthboxes!!! wow, those sound great! maybe 'a bit expensive', but they sound like a good investment. and i absolutely love your garden!!! :cloud9: years ago, i had a straw bale veggie garden. just a wonderful experience! i had zucchini coming out of my ears that year.

good news here is that i've found some more food supplies in bulk that will cut costs for me a bit more -- hot sauce, ketchup, and possibly grape jelly -- i'll do a 'trial run' on those in june. there are other items at the same site (that are less costly than at my local stores, including the shipping cost), but will need to budget for them (to buy as cases of 6/#10 cans).

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the kind words about the garden. We made mint/parsley chimichurri tonight with fresh mint from the garden. I was looking over the leaves when I noticed a big brown spot. Then it moved. It was one of those dreaded leaf-footed bugs. Imagine a stink bug on steroids. They're up to an inch long. They can decimate tomato plants overnight. I lost my whole crop aa couple of years ago. Very little affects them. I tried spinoza, which is a byproduct of rum production. All I got was drunk bugs singing, "Yo-ho-ho! Sixteen bugs on a dead tomato plant." I feel sick. If we don't get them tomorrow we'll lose all but the peppers, which they don't like. It may be too late to hatch some praying mantises, so I'll have to go with insecticide.

We have a Food Saver vacuum sealer that saves us tons of money. We buy our meat in bulk, i.e. 9 pork loin chops per package, from SAMS or Costco and break it up into smaller packages. They keep forever. I'm embarrassed to say I found some steaks from 2008. I defrosted them and they were perfect. I don't recommend keeping them that long, but you see the possibilities.

If your local store has good house brands, you may find it cheaper to buy those as you need them rather than buying brand names in bulk. I also watch for sales and stock up then. We use cream of mushroom soup quite a bit. It goes on sale around November-December, so I buy enough to last. I do butter the same way. It freezes beautifully. I'll buy about 50-60 pounds in Nov.-Dec. and freeze it to use during the year. I generally save about $1.50/pound that way. If you monitor sales cycles, you can save up to get a quantity of things when they're cheap.

How many people are you feeding?

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the kind words about the garden. We made mint/parsley chimichurri tonight with fresh mint from the garden. I was looking over the leaves when I noticed a big brown spot. Then it moved. It was one of those dreaded leaf-footed bugs. Imagine a stink bug on steroids. They're up to an inch long. They can decimate tomato plants overnight. I lost my whole crop aa couple of years ago. Very little affects them. I tried spinoza, which is a byproduct of rum production. All I got was drunk bugs singing, "Yo-ho-ho! Sixteen bugs on a dead tomato plant." I feel sick. If we don't get them tomorrow we'll lose all but the peppers, which they don't like. It may be too late to hatch some praying mantises, so I'll have to go with insecticide.

We have a Food Saver vacuum sealer that saves us tons of money. We buy our meat in bulk, i.e. 9 pork loin chops per package, from SAMS or Costco and break it up into smaller packages. They keep forever. I'm embarrassed to say I found some steaks from 2008. I defrosted them and they were perfect. I don't recommend keeping them that long, but you see the possibilities.

If your local store has good house brands, you may find it cheaper to buy those as you need them rather than buying brand names in bulk. I also watch for sales and stock up then. We use cream of mushroom soup quite a bit. It goes on sale around November-December, so I buy enough to last. I do butter the same way. It freezes beautifully. I'll buy about 50-60 pounds in Nov.-Dec. and freeze it to use during the year. I generally save about $1.50/pound that way. If you monitor sales cycles, you can save up to get a quantity of things when they're cheap.

How many people are you feeding?
oh no!!! i sure hope you can get those leaf-footed bugs tomorrow, and before they get to your tomato plants! what i 'get from this' is to go ahead and hatch some praying mantises each year, when growing a veggie garden.

yes!!! i've got a rival seal-a-meal vacuum sealer. i buy my ground beef in 6+ lb packages, and then portion into 1 lb chunks which i vacuum seal and freeze. i can get whole (boneless) pork loins here for a very good price -- average size is 8 pounds per. i vacuum seal then freeze 1lb roasts, and chops.

yup, i buy store brands too! i buy my butter in november/december, with the baking supplies yearly purchases -- or if i come across it on sale other months that i shop. since i don't drive, it's hard to catch sales on most things, because i need to arrange my transportation ahead of time.

it's just me that i'm feeding. i've found that with careful planning, using the vacuum sealer, and using my upright freezers, i can eat much better while cutting costs significantly.

i dreamed about the book i'm reading! i know i'm reading a really good book when this happens. :D

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a beautiful garden, Mother Dragon Mother Dragon ! I am wildly jealous! The worst part of apartment living is so little space to grow anything! I may try a great big planter with a tomato plant next year!

I got the new drapes for the office made yesterday! They came out very nicely. Now just waiting for the rod to come in!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
We finally dropped the truck off for service. It's long overdue.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Little Bit is giving me slow blinks! AND he only runs five or six feet when I come out to feed him! Dear Lord, let me find TNR assistance!

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had dinner with my friend who's visiting from Thailand and Mike, my significant other. Mike and I shopped at Barnes and Noble book store after that. I got him a special edition Beatles magazine for Father's day. Shhhh!

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful garden, Mother Dragon Mother Dragon ! I am wildly jealous! The worst part of apartment living is so little space to grow anything! I may try a great big planter with a tomato plant next year!

I got the new drapes for the office made yesterday! They came out very nicely. Now just waiting for the rod to come in!
Did I tell you about Earth Boxes? I know I told someone. If it wasn't you, let me know and I'll fill you in. They're terrific for small spaces and are self-watering so they cut maintenance, too. Two 15" x 30" Earth Boxes could give you space for two tomato plants and to four other plants. I have room so I put one tomato to a box because these are climbers, and I put two pepper plants per box. You'd be amazed what you can grow in them.

When do we see the photos of the drapes?

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had dinner with my friend who's visiting from Thailand and Mike, my significant other. Mike and I shopped at Barnes and Noble book store after that. I got him a special edition Beatles magazine for Father's day. Shhhh!
What a thoughtful gift. I'm sure Mike will enjoy the book. I've been a Beatle fan for over 50 years.

Muffy

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a thoughtful gift. I'm sure Mike will enjoy the book. I've been a Beatle fan for over 50 years.

Muffy
You might want to look for the magazine. It's called Vintage Rock Presents The Beatles
The Early Years.
The cover says Collector's Edition so it might be valuable in the future.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to look for the magazine. It's called Vintage Rock Presents The Beatles
The Early Years.
The cover says Collector's Edition so it might be valuable in the future.
Yes, I would like to see the magazine. Thanks for the name.

Muffy

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
have you tried this organization -- ccfc ? if they can't help you, maybe they'd be able to suggest other organizations to try...? :crossfingers:
THANK YOU! I just left a call for them. Maybe they can help.

Good today...well...I've gotten over putting the new bookcase together inside out (holes for shelf brackets on the outside!). Why is doing that good? After the initial utter disgust, I had a really good laugh about it, and a really good laugh is a wonderful thing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
We booked a long weekend away for August for our birthdays, :)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got to go to a surprise graduation party for an old friend who lives across the country today. She flew in for her little sister's high school graduation (her littlest sister was born the year she graduated high school :eek:). She just got her master's degree and they also celebrated an Aunt who just got her master's. It was neat to see essentially 3 generations in cap and gown together. And to see a friend of +20 years in person. :thumbsup: Someone brought piles of old pictures from church events from the mid to late 90s. They were FUNNY!! :paperbag:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did I tell you about Earth Boxes? I know I told someone. If it wasn't you, let me know and I'll fill you in. They're terrific for small spaces and are self-watering so they cut maintenance, too. Two 15" x 30" Earth Boxes could give you space for two tomato plants and to four other plants. I have room so I put one tomato to a box because these are climbers, and I put two pepper plants per box. You'd be amazed what you can grow in them.

When do we see the photos of the drapes?
I'd LOVE to know about earth boxes! Can I have one on a smallish patio? That's about all the space I have.

OH...pictures. Yes, indeed!

2017-06-01 12.55.09.jpg 2017-06-01 12.54.35.jpg

Just to the left of the desk is the daybed. I HAD planned to turn the desk and printer 90 degrees to the wall to form two areas, guest room, and office/library, but Hekitty loves that she can lie on the daybed and get loved on while I'm on the computer. I just can't move things around. Yes, my cat runs my house. Doesn't everyone's?

New good stuff: My sweet new next-door neighbor brought her boyfriend over yesterday to reverse my bedframe. When I moved, the guys who moved me put it in with the foot up against the wall. It wasn't locked in properly, and the twin boxsprings have been slowly moving apart. I was afraid that eventually, I'd end up in a canyon in the middle of the bed, stuck! I slept SO much better last night! I swear it was physically more comfortable.