What's something good that happened in the last 24 hours? - 2017

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yesterday evening i discovered that the weekly (in the summer time, and monthly during the winter months) produce auction is now being held in my little hamlet! so very exciting for me, because i'd been unable to get to it where it had been located.

the produce auction offers local produce in the 'in season' months, produce trucked up from further south (even as far as from Florida) during the cold weather months, as well as an assortment of other food items and non-food items.

i didn't make it over to the produce auction until it had been going on for an hour or more already, but did spend several minutes watching and listening to it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was able to get the new area rug put down in the front room. My office chair was making the vinyl flooring start to ripple. This looks nice, and protects the floor! This room is actually starting to shape up!

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
yesterday evening i discovered that the weekly (in the summer time, and monthly during the winter months) produce auction is now being held in my little hamlet! so very exciting for me, because i'd been unable to get to it where it had been located.

the produce auction offers local produce in the 'in season' months, produce trucked up from further south (even as far as from Florida) during the cold weather months, as well as an assortment of other food items and non-food items.

i didn't make it over to the produce auction until it had been going on for an hour or more already, but did spend several minutes watching and listening to it.
I've never heard of a produce auction. Do you have to buy in quantity?

Here we have Saturday morning farmers' markets all over the place. They offer local fruit, vegetables, home-canned items, home-cooked meals, and whatever else is around. There are even goats' milk products from cheeses to cosmetics. You can even sometimes get fresh cows' milk.

There are also farmers' markets, A.K.A. truck farms, that are open daily except in winter. Some offer "pick your own". One down the road from me already has home-grown tomatoes for $1.79/lb. I've gotten tomatoes there that had just been brought in from the fields, still warm from the sun. That's about as fresh as you can get.

Another place not too far from here still offers the famous Hempstead Black Diamond watermelons. They're very different from the light-green oval or small ones founding the store. These things are huge! They weigh 30-50 lbs. and are incredibly sweet and juicy, and not mushy like many of the grocery store ones. They make great pickled watermelon rind, too.

Now you've got me hungry for watermelon and it's not the season yet. Woe is me!

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
The Sunday morning farmer's market is where the compost site is in my neighborhood. I mentioned the compost site in another thread. There's a farmer's market on Wednesdays near where I work, and there's a compost collection there as well. I wish all farmer's markets would have one.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of a produce auction. Do you have to buy in quantity?

Here we have Saturday morning farmers' markets all over the place. They offer local fruit, vegetables, home-canned items, home-cooked meals, and whatever else is around. There are even goats' milk products from cheeses to cosmetics. You can even sometimes get fresh cows' milk.

There are also farmers' markets, A.K.A. truck farms, that are open daily except in winter. Some offer "pick your own". One down the road from me already has home-grown tomatoes for $1.79/lb. I've gotten tomatoes there that had just been brought in from the fields, still warm from the sun. That's about as fresh as you can get.

Another place not too far from here still offers the famous Hempstead Black Diamond watermelons. They're very different from the light-green oval or small ones founding the store. These things are huge! They weigh 30-50 lbs. and are incredibly sweet and juicy, and not mushy like many of the grocery store ones. They make great pickled watermelon rind, too.

Now you've got me hungry for watermelon and it's not the season yet. Woe is me!
i can't say for sure if you have to buy in quantity at my local produce auction, but i think you don't. from what i saw of the first auction i've been able to get to, the item to be auctioned is announced and then the auctioneer accepts bids...which seems to set the price per. for example, i saw home baked loaves of bread (various kinds, like white bread and cinnamon raisin), which were bid on to set the price per loaf, then people interested in buying them bought them at the highest bid price.

i'd never been to anything but antique auctions. this was back when i was a kid, and i went with my dad to them. it was hearing the auctioneer (a very distinct sound, and one i'm familiar with), from about 100+ feet away (on my property), that made me think that maybe the produce auction had been moved to my hamlet -- i was so happy to find that it had!

ahhh, farmer's markets!!! :cloud9: there are quite a few of those in the surrounding area here, but i'm not able to get to them. back when i was living in the city, i'd go to the farmer's market quite often.

yes! i love 'pick your own' places. there's a wonderful pick your own blueberry place not far from me, which i go to most years.

Wow! i'd love to find some of those Hempstead watermelons here! :hyper: i've never made pickled watermelon rind, but i make watermelon rind jelly each year (flavored with cinnamon and sugar). :yummy:

oh, i'm anxiously awaiting for watermelons to come in season too! :D

dalpaengi

A cat snail enthusiast
Young Cat
Purraise
I have the medicine I need to make it through the day without feeling sick. Even though I'm still recovering from chronic illness related stuff, I feel a lot better than I have in a while :p

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
i can't say for sure if you have to buy in quantity at my local produce auction, but i think you don't. from what i saw of the first auction i've been able to get to, the item to be auctioned is announced and then the auctioneer accepts bids...which seems to set the price per. for example, i saw home baked loaves of bread (various kinds, like white bread and cinnamon raisin), which were bid on to set the price per loaf, then people interested in buying them bought them at the highest bid price.

i'd never been to anything but antique auctions. this was back when i was a kid, and i went with my dad to them. it was hearing the auctioneer (a very distinct sound, and one i'm familiar with), from about 100+ feet away (on my property), that made me think that maybe the produce auction had been moved to my hamlet -- i was so happy to find that it had!

ahhh, farmer's markets!!! :cloud9: there are quite a few of those in the surrounding area here, but i'm not able to get to them. back when i was living in the city, i'd go to the farmer's market quite often.

yes! i love 'pick your own' places. there's a wonderful pick your own blueberry place not far from me, which i go to most years.

Wow! i'd love to find some of those Hempstead watermelons here! :hyper: i've never made pickled watermelon rind, but i make watermelon rind jelly each year (flavored with cinnamon and sugar). :yummy:

oh, i'm anxiously awaiting for watermelons to come in season too! :D
I don't go to the berry picking places, although there are a lot of them, especially strawberries and blackberries. The reason I don't pick (and never did if I could get out of it) is that snakes like berries, too, and I'm always afraid I'll pick a snake instead, or reach for one at the same time a snake does.

Do you have enough space to grow melons? They're ground runners, so they like to spread out a lot. You'd probably need a patch about 7' x 7' to make them happy. You can easily grow them from seed. They also like quite a bit of water, but not wet feet. Here's some good information.

Watermelon Seeds - "Black Diamond"

One of our favorite road trip destinations is a place called The Pickett House, which is in an old East Texas schoolhouse. There are big old circus posters on the walls and you eat at common tables, family style. The food is good country cooking - fried chicken, chicken and dumplings, green beans, greens, mashed potatoes, etc. Drinks come from old wooden barrels and include buttermilk and sometimes sarsaparilla, along with the obligatory iced tea. Dessert is usually peach cobbler and banana pudding. The best part, though, and you have to ask for them or know where they're hidden, is the pickled watermelon rind and the pickled green tomatoes. They'll make your tongue grin from ear to ear! I'd love to know how to make them. They do sell them sometimes and we load up.

I'd love the recipe for your watermelon rid jelly. It sounds wonderful!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I actually had enough money in the budget to order another bookcase for the office/library/guest room AND to order the fabric for the new drapes, AND the rod and sheers for that window! One more bookcase and the bedspread, and I'll actually have that room DONE! Everything should be here by the first of June!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The sheers are here! Very pretty, the color is called "sea glass green." Looking forward to getting the drape fabric, rod and bookcases on June 1! OH...and I had enough money left over this month to pre-order "Cat Shining Bright" from one of my favorite series, AND to order some additional ones, as well!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't go to the berry picking places, although there are a lot of them, especially strawberries and blackberries. The reason I don't pick (and never did if I could get out of it) is that snakes like berries, too, and I'm always afraid I'll pick a snake instead, or reach for one at the same time a snake does.

Do you have enough space to grow melons? They're ground runners, so they like to spread out a lot. You'd probably need a patch about 7' x 7' to make them happy. You can easily grow them from seed. They also like quite a bit of water, but not wet feet. Here's some good information.

Watermelon Seeds - "Black Diamond"

One of our favorite road trip destinations is a place called The Pickett House, which is in an old East Texas schoolhouse. There are big old circus posters on the walls and you eat at common tables, family style. The food is good country cooking - fried chicken, chicken and dumplings, green beans, greens, mashed potatoes, etc. Drinks come from old wooden barrels and include buttermilk and sometimes sarsaparilla, along with the obligatory iced tea. Dessert is usually peach cobbler and banana pudding. The best part, though, and you have to ask for them or know where they're hidden, is the pickled watermelon rind and the pickled green tomatoes. They'll make your tongue grin from ear to ear! I'd love to know how to make them. They do sell them sometimes and we load up.

I'd love the recipe for your watermelon rid jelly. It sounds wonderful!
i can understand that! i don't mind snakes generally, it's just that it can be hard to know which ones are venomous, so i prefer to avoid them.

thank you so much for the info on growing the black diamond watermelons! i'd love to have a veggie garden and grow some fruit, but it's not something i can do where i live now.

The Pickett House sounds like a lovely place!

here's the recipe i use for watermelon rind jelly -- Watermelon Rind Jelly the same site also has a pickled watermelon rind recipe -- Pickled Watermelon Rind -- which i've never tried.

good news today is that the (mild) infection in my leg seems to have turned the corner, and is no longer red, hot to the touch, and painful. :woo:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I spent the entire afternoon and evening baking Impossibly Easy pies, cutting them into single servings, and freezing them. I can now eat for a month if I want to just defrosting and microwaving. I did chicken and broccoli, ham and green beans, ham and asparagus (VERY GOOD), cheeseburger, taco, and pepperoni pizza, PLUS two that were mixed veggies as a quick side dish with whatever meat I feel like doing. MAN, do I feel accomplished!

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You gave me a good idea Mamanty. I should make those Impossible Pies and freeze them in single servings since I live alone. I've been having the frozen Skillet Dinners and they aren't as healthy as homemade meals.

Another easy meal is stir fry where I put everything in a large frying pan, ( meat or chicken and frozen veggies with seasonings ) and cook until the meat is done.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I love stir fry. Sometimes I buy the bottled teriyaki sauces and add fresh ginger and brown sugar (just a touch) to them. They taste homemade after that!

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like oyster sauce in the stir fry sometimes too.

Talking about stir fry reminds me of how much I love fried cabbage!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL...we are in danger of hijacking this thread!

Now, something good...I slept like a ROCK last night after being up the night before with charlie horses. MAN, did that sleep feel good!

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a discount on the bill for my kitty's grooming. It was rescheduled from Saturday because they made a mistake, cats aren't groomed on the weekend due to more dogs being there.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The fabric for the drapes in the front room came in today! I'm going to get out the sewing machine in a bit and get everything measured and pinned for tomorrow! The rod should be here by Thursday, and I'll get them hung. :woohoo: