What's on Your Mind Thread - 2024

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's strange is all they are reporting here is about the 8 construction workers that were on the bridge. Two were found and six are missing. Nothing about the people in the cars that fell into the water. Maybe by chance, they were wrong initially and no cars fell into the water?? I know they stopped traffic when they first got the mayday about the power loss but I thought they said there were some cars already on it before. I hope they find everyone who is missing whether it's a crewman or a driver.
I did hear about the mayday and them being able to stop traffic. Is there any chance that the vehicles mentioned belonged to the construction workers? Like work vehicles?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What's strange is all they are reporting here is about the 8 construction workers that were on the bridge. Two were found and six are missing. Nothing about the people in the cars that fell into the water. Maybe by chance, they were wrong initially and no cars fell into the water?? I know they stopped traffic when they first got the mayday about the power loss but I thought they said there were some cars already on it before. I hope they find everyone who is missing whether it's a crewman or a driver.

I'm sure it will be all over the news for me too when I get home. Just hearing bits and pieces from the TV in my boss' office.
I watched the video maybe half a dozen times. It does look like they managed to stop traffic and get across just in time. My stomach was in knots trying to look closely. My local news is saying its all construction workers that are missing. šŸ˜”

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My older coworker keeps telling me she needs to lay off the sugar, lose weight, etc. But Iā€™m like girl youā€™re past that point already this is the time to enjoy your life!
I keep thinking about all those hyper-healthy people who never let themselves indulge in anything. One day, they'll be in beds dying of nothing whatsoever but the J P FROG syndrome..."Just Plain F-word Ran Outta Gas."

I am super excited to get this lodge dutch oven to make soup
On sale now:( I payed full price
I have my grandmother's dutch oven, and I treasure it! I also have her cast iron 12" skillet. SO many things I just won't make if I can't make them in cast iron! Treasure it, take care of it! Chili is SO much better when it cooks in cast iron, as is cornbread.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep thinking about all those hyper-healthy people who never let themselves indulge in anything. One day, they'll be in beds dying of nothing whatsoever but the J P FROG syndrome..."Just Plain F-word Ran Outta Gas."

I have my grandmother's dutch oven, and I treasure it! I also have her cast iron 12" skillet. SO many things I just won't make if I can't make them in cast iron! Treasure it, take care of it! Chili is SO much better when it cooks in cast iron, as is cornbread.
I have a lodge cast iron skillet til it comes. I like it but my first time using a cast iron I had to throw it away

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise

Sounds yummy! So many recipes for corn bread are with buttermilk but I haven't like a single one. Cast iron I have never used but will tomorrow. Though mine is not for the oven. Curious....

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Husband and I have been debating moving. We live near my parents in a tiny garage apartment. Itā€™s feeling pretty cramped now that we have three cats, food prep for us and the cats in a tiny kitchen is exhausting.

Sadly the housing market is absolutely on fire and building ourselves will probably be a 2-3 year process due to the area where we live. Even building ourselves itā€™s going to be really expensive. I keep wondering if we should move closer to a big city since we both have many more working years to go and having stores more accessible would be niceā€¦

My parents moved out here to retire and at the time I didnā€™t really have anywhere else to go so followed them, but now that Iā€™m married and looking at long term jobs I realized my parents were really out of touch with the job market when they brought us here lol

As with everything, extremes either way make for a bad life. You canā€™t enjoy anything if you eat so much unhealthy food you can hardly move at 25 years old, but why live if you canā€™t at least enjoy a slice of pie or something multiple times a week.

My husband has a dessert a day rule where we have a slice of pie or some cookies with coffee everyday, rather than indulging constantly.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My husband has a dessert a day rule where we have a slice of pie or some cookies with coffee everyday, rather than indulging constantly.
Iā€™ve heard Dietitians promoting more along those lines. DH grew up more restricted and binges sugar so he doesnā€™t let himself eat it outside of fruits and some honey. I picked up an ā€œeat it while its hereā€ mentality along with the clear your plate or itā€™s wasting mindset. Iā€™m the only one with weight issues; but DH takes after his father being naturally long and lean. Iā€™ll always have curves and thatā€™s ok. Iā€™m just working on keeping things in a good balance. But sometimes DH and I set each other off. But hey my bloodwork is always good so thatā€™s something. šŸ¤Ŗ
Probably that they wished they had brought an extra pair of underwear with them. :lol: People who live near the bridge said they were awoken and thought it was an earthquake. Houses shook so bad.
Some of the perspective photos being shared really show how large that bridge was. I saw a photo of the traffic cones still there directing toā€¦nothing. :frown:šŸ˜¢

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Husband and I have been debating moving. We live near my parents in a tiny garage apartment. Itā€™s feeling pretty cramped now that we have three cats, food prep for us and the cats in a tiny kitchen is exhausting.

Sadly the housing market is absolutely on fire and building ourselves will probably be a 2-3 year process due to the area where we live. Even building ourselves itā€™s going to be really expensive. I keep wondering if we should move closer to a big city since we both have many more working years to go and having stores more accessible would be niceā€¦

My parents moved out here to retire and at the time I didnā€™t really have anywhere else to go so followed them, but now that Iā€™m married and looking at long term jobs I realized my parents were really out of touch with the job market when they brought us here lol

As with everything, extremes either way make for a bad life. You canā€™t enjoy anything if you eat so much unhealthy food you can hardly move at 25 years old, but why live if you canā€™t at least enjoy a slice of pie or something multiple times a week.

I know what you mean by a hot housing market. We bought our house in 2005, and paid $79,500 for it. We just got a new assessment notice of $158,000, which sounds great, until the thought creeps in about how much it would cost to buy one in another state that isn't NY; one where people aren't actively trying to get out of. True, we are in western NY, in a smallish town, where living costs are lower than in a big city, but they are still higher than they are in a lot of other places. What to do; what to do?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know what you mean by a hot housing market. We bought our house in 2005, and paid $79,500 for it. We just got a new assessment notice of $158,000, which sounds great, until the thought creeps in about how much it would cost to buy one in another state that isn't NY; one where people aren't actively trying to get out of. True, we are in western NY, in a smallish town, where living costs are lower than in a big city, but they are still higher than they are in a lot of other places. What to do; what to do?
My mom and stepdad were looking at houses in my area to move back here. They own a big house in the area and have tenants in it; but they donā€™t need so much house anymore unless all the grandkids show up. It just wasnā€™t worth it! So now they are in the awkward spot of not renewing the lease so they can move back. The family renting is from their church. šŸ˜£ Even with 4 months notice for the tenant its just not our nature landlording.

My inlaws were also considering a slight downsize to be even closer to my sister in law but decided it wasnā€™t worth it. Their current home is built into a hill with a daylight basement; but you can absolutely live upstairs in one level only. And theyā€™d already done some renovations when DHs grandmother lived with them so itā€™s accessible with reduced mobility.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom and stepdad were looking at houses in my area to move back here. They own a big house in the area and have tenants in it; but they donā€™t need so much house anymore unless all the grandkids show up. It just wasnā€™t worth it! So now they are in the awkward spot of not renewing the lease so they can move back. The family renting is from their church. šŸ˜£ Even with 4 months notice for the tenant its just not our nature landlording.

My inlaws were also considering a slight downsize to be even closer to my sister in law but decided it wasnā€™t worth it. Their current home is built into a hill with a daylight basement; but you can absolutely live upstairs in one level only. And theyā€™d already done some renovations when DHs grandmother lived with them so itā€™s accessible with reduced mobility.
I knew that our assessment was going to jump some, but not by as much as it did, because both of the houses next to us sold recently. One is about the same size as ours- 1700 sq. ft.- was listed for $77,000 and sold for $117,000. The other is one of those post-war 950 sq. ft. bungalows that sold for $131,000 two years ago to a woman from NYC, who thought it was cheap at that price. Anyway, that is what is happening, what with the ability to work remotely, people are moving out of the cities to areas like ours and driving up the prices and property taxes.