What's on Your Mind Thread - 2024

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Saved that one, too. I LOVE quiches and fritattas!

I do remember that. I also, just to keep it in perspective, remember that the minimum wage along about then was $1.00 an hour. And I remember when you could fill the tank of a VW bug that was on Empty, and get change back from your $5.00 bill. Again, the minimum wage was MUCH lower.

When I was in college, I held a salaried position that paid $100.00 a week. My father remarked that I was extraordinarily lucky, as a grown man could support a family of four, decently, on that salary. And they could.

I guess the upshot is, while we are being nostalgic about those low, low prices, we forget those low, low wages.
I agree with you whole heartily but also that prices in the last few years have far outpaced salary or inflation. It's nice that someone else remembers those times. I like your analogy of the VW. Brings back memories. Yes, I was employed also as I went to school but I remember having a heck of a time supporting myself and paying for school. But thanks for the nostalgia.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Food prices. Ridiculous. Anyone remember double bubble two for a penny or 5 cent cokes. Not that I remember those times! ;)
Yep, I remember those days; KoolAid was a nickel a package, as was Cracker Jacks, which was our weekly treat when our parents went shopping. Twenty-five cents for a one pound loaf of bread. Penny candy that really cost only a penny. Of course in those days my father only earned maybe $3 an hour, and the money that we got from selling milk, eggs, hogs, and baling hay for neighbors who didn't have their own baler is what kept our heads above water, if only barely.

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What is a package of Cracker Jacks today? Do they still have a prize? Wow, thank you for making me smile. Did you ever have a milk man? In winter we would race to see who got to drink the ice cold milk first. Sorry forgot to reply, this was in response to N NY cat man response.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is a package of Cracker Jacks today? Do they still have a prize? Wow, thank you for making me smile. Did you ever have a milk man? In winter we would race to see who got to drink the ice cold milk first.
Our 'milk man' was my father bringing a pail of milk fresh from the cow barn up to the house to put in the refrigerator. And when a cow was too old to calve or give milk, if she didn't go to the stockyard, she went in the freezer. Aside from the milk we kept for our own use, all of it went to a local dairy co-op. We also had about a quarter-acre of garden and canned much of it's product.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
We are all remembering better days and it's true,the inflation is outrageous - people cannot stay afloat on a single income,they either need a second job or financial aid

But also,foks DTI is also outrageous as most seem to live way beyond their means- they are drowning in debt and between the rising costs and inflation there's no way to rise above it

Sounding like an old lady probably but ' back in the day" people did not buy what they could not pay for- they didn't swipe a credit card if something was unaffordable ,they simply did without

Supply and demand drives prices up too- if people stopped buying cars they could not afford we wouldn't be looking at average cars that cost more than I bought my house for!

Am I crazy or is the whole of society greatly contributing to our terribly imbalanced economy?

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are all remembering better days and it's true,the inflation is outrageous - people cannot stay afloat on a single income,they either need a second job or financial aid

But also,foks DTI is also outrageous as most seem to live way beyond their means- they are drowning in debt and between the rising costs and inflation there's no way to rise above it

Sounding like an old lady probably but ' back in the day" people did not buy what they could not pay for- they didn't swipe a credit card if something was unaffordable ,they simply did without

Supply and demand drives prices up too- if people stopped buying cars they could not afford we wouldn't be looking at average cars that cost more than I bought my house for!

Am I crazy or is the whole of society greatly contributing to our terribly imbalanced economy?
I am guilty of this myself. I go on Amazon and it's so darn convenient and has all those things I always was looking for but did without until they were one click away. It's fun until the credit card comes in and I have to take a job for a bit to pay for my dalliance. Luckily my wants are smaller than they were when I was young, or I would be working two jobs as you mentioned.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I am guilty of this myself. I go on Amazon and it's so darn convenient and has all those things I always was looking for but did without until they were one click away. It's fun until the credit card comes in and I have to take a job for a bit to pay for my dalliance. Luckily my wants are smaller than they were when I was young, or I would be working two jobs as you mentioned.
Oh boy,true the convenience and window shopping with one click plays devils advocate as well-years ago if you didn't get out much you might not even know what was in or put of style,lol Now everything is shoved in your face constantly whether your watching TV or looking up a recipe online - it's the Land of temptation and for many hard to resist

Geez,even food deliveries- used to be if you were thinking of your favorite restaurant you'd wait for the weekend after pay day or until you had extra money plus they do not deliver( I used to say" good thing they don't deliver" now you can click for someone to go pick up food anywhere)and you can be totally broke.....

I'm so set in my ways,hardly on the internet and barely watch TV except for movies and prerecorded shows where I can ff the ads -I buy a Walmart card and basically only order from there,⁷ online -put cash on the card and do not use credit or debit cards at all..... still mail check payments,I do not want any convenient ways to spend money I don't have-that would be setting myself up to acquire some bad habits I do not have the ones I do have are enough to contend with ,lol

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No, you don't sound like an 'old lady' to me, probably because I'm older than you. Having grown up poor- excuse me, ' economically disadvantaged' in todayspeak- I still am that way. If I don't have the cash in my pocket or in the bank, I don't buy things. Yes, I shop online for what I can't find locally, but I use a prepaid debit card for it. The last thing we bought on credit was our house, and even there we paid over a quarter of the price down at closing, and paid the mortgage off in only 11 years, saving thousands in interest. When some twentysomething kid complains about college loan debt, I don't want to hear about it. I earned a scholarship, went to school under the GI Bill at a school I could afford, and worked a job that paid $1.75 an hour to boot. Too, I guess it runs in the family, as a grandnephew just graduated from college debt free because he worked jobs both in high school and college, so was able to pay his own way. People need to be able to set priorities, and learn the they don't always need to have the newest and best of everything right now, when good enough is good enough.
Thus endeth my rant for today.

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh boy,true the convenience and window shopping with one click plays devils advocate as well-years ago if you didn't get out much you might not even know what was in or put of style,lol Now everything is shoved in your face constantly whether your watching TV or looking up a recipe online - it's the Land of temptation and for many hard to resist

Geez,even food deliveries- used to be if you were thinking of your favorite restaurant you'd wait for the weekend after pay day or until you had extra money plus they do not deliver( I used to say" good thing they don't deliver" now you can click for someone to go pick up food anywhere)and you can be totally broke.....

I'm so set in my ways,hardly on the internet and barely watch TV except for movies and prerecorded shows where I can ff the ads -I buy a Walmart card and basically only order from there,⁷ online -put cash on the card and do not use credit or debit cards at all..... still mail check payments,I do not want any convenient ways to spend money I don't have-that would be setting myself up to acquire some bad habits I do not have the ones I do have are enough to contend with ,lol
You can buy some awesome stuff at Walmart as well. I do cheques as well, but it is harder these days, some utilities don't take them anymore, my insurance company only takes debit or credit card. The old days are gone so you have to conform somewhat. I agree the internet is a mixed blessing. Limiting its use certainly helps. All things in moderation.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
You can buy some awesome stuff at Walmart as well. I do cheques as well, but it is harder these days, some utilities don't take them anymore, my insurance company only takes debit or credit card. The old days are gone so you have to conform somewhat. I agree the internet is a mixed blessing. Limiting its use certainly helps. All things in moderation.
EXACTLY- all things in moderation,a healthy balance and knowing what is a " need" vs " want" .....and really I've always treated myself well,I'm not some martyr that does not think you should enjoy life or treat yourself to things you like and have sone good fun..... but if you are wise steward of "stuff" and finances you understand what you can do without,be patient,save up etc

How many times have you heard a teenager say" but I really NEED a new phone" or I need new kicks,I need ,I need- they truly do not seem to know the difference-

I think they NEED a job or to earn their allowance and those nice new " things" they are do Blessed to have- I bet they'd learn the difference then,lol

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
EXACTLY- all things in moderation,a healthy balance and knowing what is a " need" vs " want" .....and really I've always treated myself well,I'm not some martyr that does not think you should enjoy life or treat yourself to things you like and have sone good fun..... but if you are wise steward of "stuff" and finances you understand what you can do without,be patient,save up etc

How many times have you heard a teenager say" but I really NEED a new phone" or I need new kicks,I need ,I need- they truly do not seem to know the difference-

I think they NEED a job or to earn their allowance and those nice new " things" they are do Blessed to have- I bet they'd learn the difference then,lol
As our financial advisor put it, we don't want to be the richest corpses in the graveyard. In fact, on the day I die, I want the last check I write to bounce.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I liked that you could really taste the cornmeal. Also made this
Sweet Potato Frittata
Had cornbread with it
Just wanna mention,my parents really like it but makes way too much for me. She said it was very tasty. It had sweet potato,spinach(fresh from target)ham sliced thick from the deli,and red pepper. I want to make her recipe with gnocchi but will wait til family comes

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As our financial advisor put it, we don't want to be the richest corpses in the graveyard. In fact, on the day I die, I want the last check I write to bounce.
Life is tough, work is hard and nothing is easy but I wake up everyday thanking my lucky stars I got the opportunity to experience it all. I also want to say the people of TheCatSite are a cut above. Compassionate, caring and have that special quality that I wish society could adopt. Kudos to all of you and thanks for caring for our feline friends. As Susan Easterly said "People who love cats have the biggest hearts around."

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Life is tough, work is hard and nothing is easy but I wake up everyday thanking my lucky stars I got the opportunity to experience it all. I also want to say the people of TheCatSite are a cut above. Compassionate, caring and have that special quality that I wish society could adopt. Kudos to all of you and thanks for caring for our feline friends. As Susan Easterly said "People who love cats have the biggest hearts around."
Prancer, Digger, Stretch, Bashful, and Miss Eleanor say "You're welcome ".

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautifully said
Happy Easter to you and all

Love from Kwik,Graycie,Bella,Sami,Max and Timmy...... you're a cut above yourself 🥰

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Beautifully said
Happy Easter to you and all

Love from Kwik,Graycie,Bella,Sami,Max and Timmy...... you're a cut above yourself 🥰
"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen." - Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Going to leave Gracie upstairs while I am work. Things have been going well over the weekend and Boone let her sleep with us last night so I am very encouraged that things will be fine. But I am nervous as heck too!!!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Going to leave Gracie upstairs while I am work. Things have been going well over the weekend and Boone let her sleep with us last night so I am very encouraged that things will be fine. But I am nervous as heck too!!!
Its going to be fine- they'll probably be fast asleep most of the time❤Sending "peace" vibes across the miles

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is a package of Cracker Jacks today? Do they still have a prize? Wow, thank you for making me smile. Did you ever have a milk man? In winter we would race to see who got to drink the ice cold milk first. Sorry forgot to reply, this was in response to N NY cat man response.
By the way, I looked up the price of Cracker Jack, and for the old-time box, it is just under a buck, while the bag is almost $3 at WallyWorld. Whether or not they still have a 'prize' I couldn't say, but if they do, it wouldn't be anything like they did in the old days- choking hazard, don't you know.