What's on Your Mind Thread - 2024

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
By the way, I looked up the price of Cracker Jack, and for the old-time box, it is just under a buck, while the bag is almost $3 at WallyWorld. Whether or not they still have a 'prize' I couldn't say, but if they do, it wouldn't be anything like they did in the old days- choking hazard, don't you know.
Recently I bought Cracker Jack's ( 3box pack for $1.25)-Iol,couldn't wait to see the prize..... Ugg-a miniscule piece of paper that I thought was a tattoo

Yes,I wet it and pressed it on my hand and nothing happened.....gave the third box to my neighbors kid and he informed me it's not a tattoo,its just a face and theres a QR code to download a game..... no fun

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
By the way, I looked up the price of Cracker Jack, and for the old-time box, it is just under a buck, while the bag is almost $3 at WallyWorld. Whether or not they still have a 'prize' I couldn't say, but if they do, it wouldn't be anything like they did in the old days- choking hazard, don't you know.
You know I never thought of a choking hazard but then cracker jacks themselves are a choking hazard. Thanks for finding out however, I will buy a box if I can find one locally just for old times sake. Thanks for taking the time to find out. These things bring out a smile. Thank-you for that as well.:)

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Recently I bought Cracker Jack's ( 3box pack for $1.25)-Iol,couldn't wait to see the prize..... Ugg-a miniscule piece of paper that I thought was a tattoo

Yes,I wet it and pressed it on my hand and nothing happened.....gave the third box to my neighbors kid and he informed me it's not a tattoo,its just a face and theres a QR code to download a game..... no fun
Wow, so even the prizes are digital. Well that is the way of the world. I had to replace my thermostat the other day, I got a Honeywell that did not connect to the internet as my last one was a Chinese knock off that kept turning off the heat because it said it was 100 degrees outside when it was 10 degrees outside. Technology, wonderful when it works, a pain in the butt when it doesn't. My sister has google lights, sometimes they come on in the middle of the night, like some sort of ghost busters movie. :wink:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, so even the prizes are digital. Well that is the way of the world. I had to replace my thermostat the other day, I got a Honeywell that did not connect to the internet as my last one was a Chinese knock off that kept turning off the heat because it said it was 100 degrees outside when it was 10 degrees outside. Technology, wonderful when it works, a pain in the butt when it doesn't. My sister has google lights, sometimes they come on in the middle of the night, like some sort of ghost busters movie. :wink:
So true but I'll say one thing-I don't know who these Einsteins are that come up with these bright ideas without any kind of failsafe or option for manual override when things do go wrong,and they do quite often ..... eh,many say this is the Age of Knowledge,yeah " they are so smart they are plain ole stupid imo" technology is great but unfortunately mostly AI these days and not good old brain power -not much trumps common sense,lol

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So true but I'll say one thing-I don't know who these Einsteins are that come up with these bright ideas without any kind of failsafe or option for manual override when things do go wrong,and they do quite often ..... eh,many say this is the Age of Knowledge,yeah " they are so smart they are plain ole stupid imo" technology is great but unfortunately mostly AI these days and not good old brain power -not much trumps common sense,lol
It has been my experience, unfortunately, that nowadays common sense is a most uncommon commodity. Tide pod challenge, anyone?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with you whole heartily but also that prices in the last few years have far outpaced salary or inflation
For the first time in decades, salaries are catching up. Of course, the Big Corporations will respond with price raises again.

Credit cards can be wonderful, or horrible. I actually have three, use all three of them, monitor them VERY carefully, and, with the exception of Christmas and the occasional "I NEED this now," pay them all off on the first of each month, well before the "due by" date, thereby avoiding interest payments. The Christmas shopping goes on the card with the absurdly low interest, and is paid off by March 1. Same thing with NEED NOW items, and those are things to assist me in dealing with my disabilities for the most part. I'm going to have to replace my rollator shortly, for instance. Due to the health issues, and problems getting to the mailbox, I use my debit card and pay my bills online.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As our financial advisor put it, we don't want to be the richest corpses in the graveyard. In fact, on the day I die, I want the last check I write to bounce.
Mine has said, work enough to cover your needs, and some of your wants, and you'll be fine.
There was a guy who won big on Jeopardy that was from our general area. He was later interviewed, and he said the amount of people who called him up after 20 or 25 years "just to say hi" post winnings was laughably stupid.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For the first time in decades, salaries are catching up. Of course, the Big Corporations will respond with price raises again.

Credit cards can be wonderful, or horrible. I actually have three, use all three of them, monitor them VERY carefully, and, with the exception of Christmas and the occasional "I NEED this now," pay them all off on the first of each month, well before the "due by" date, thereby avoiding interest payments. The Christmas shopping goes on the card with the absurdly low interest, and is paid off by March 1. Same thing with NEED NOW items, and those are things to assist me in dealing with my disabilities for the most part. I'm going to have to replace my rollator shortly, for instance. Due to the health issues, and problems getting to the mailbox, I use my debit card and pay my bills online.
I once had a family member ask why on earth I would pay my bill off monthly, when they would accept $35. I thought they were kidding. Apparently, someone didn't learn about interest.
Credit cards themselves are good. Great emergency funds. The abuse of them, or treating them like it's "free money" to blow on new cars or expensive vacations is very dangerous.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once had a family member ask why on earth I would pay my bill off monthly, when they would accept $35. I thought they were kidding. Apparently, someone didn't learn about interest.
Credit cards themselves are good. Great emergency funds. The abuse of them, or treating them like it's "free money" to blow on new cars or expensive vacations is very dangerous.
Michele learned that lesson- the hard way- a long time ago. Never again after I read her the riot act. She still has a credit card that she uses to shop online, but it's paid off each month, besides which it is one where she gets cash back, so every couple of months she gets a check in the mail. I have a credit card for emergencies, so I haven't used it in several years now. Like I said previously, I pay cash or I don't buy at all.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a close friend much like your family member who failed to understand the reasoning of paying off debts on a monthly basis . I had a opportunity to spend a couple of months with he and his wife after I left the Military . I was shocked at the amount of debt the couple had acrewd in just a few years. Seeing a outstanding bill of over $14k. And them struggling to pay the minimum payment. Despite both husband and wife's advanced educations they were horrible money managers. Thankfully I never adopted any of their bad traits.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
For a time,because of my health and the inability to work a friend of mine set me up to work for him at my home,arbitrating his clients debt( money mgnt programs- consolidations,settlement ,refinancing and other debt eliminating prograns)

It's mindblowing how much interest people pay,how long they pay it and how much money these creditors make off one stupid little purchase that could've been paid off so easily but interest keeps them underwater decades after they got into debt and cant evdn use those credit cards anymore-so many people do not realize these things can be negotiated with one phonecall ... they don't even need an arbitrator,it's mostly unsecured debt that is pretty easily resolved and not the people with student loans or big mortgages ,,it was bad decisions and living beyond their means that got them in a pickle

It would be nice if budgeting and financial guidance was provided in schools for our young -much more useful than algebra and geometry throughout a lifetime- right?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it weren't for the fact that so many people are losing so much, I would find it amusing, as at the school I attended, we were taught about compound interest in the eighth grade. It would seem that tidbit of knowledge has not been passed down to the latter generations, or, if it has been, the seed never took hold.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its going to be fine- they'll probably be fast asleep most of the time❤Sending "peace" vibes across the miles
I thought things could go back to normal. They were fine with each other all day yesterday until around 7pm. Boone went into my room and Gracie ran after him with a bushy tail. I heard Boone hiss so I shooed Gracie away from the room. All that did was make her want to go into the room more. I kept her out until I went to bed. Not long after that, I heard Boone hissing again so I shut him inside my bedroom for the night. Woke up this morning and Boone immediately started hissing again. I ended up putting Gracie back downstairs until I get home for fear that they'd fight while I was gone.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought things could go back to normal. They were fine with each other all day yesterday until around 7pm. Boone went into my room and Gracie ran after him with a bushy tail. I heard Boone hiss so I shooed Gracie away from the room. All that did was make her want to go into the room more. I kept her out until I went to bed. Not long after that, I heard Boone hissing again so I shut him inside my bedroom for the night. Woke up this morning and Boone immediately started hissing again. I ended up putting Gracie back downstairs until I get home for fear that they'd fight while I was gone.
Have you let it play out a little? Just because there's hissing doesn't necessarily mean it will escalate into a fur flying episode- they have to find their respective place and sometimes they "raised voices " and yell at each other like people do from time to time(or any time-lol)

If you can distract them and reward them for calming down rather than shooing away or a time out that's a very positive approach ....I don't know how well yours pay attention to you or if you have thst type of control so it's just a suggestion as you know better than I your relationship with your cats

Are either of them harness & leash trained - thsts always a great way to keep control while you are at home to supervise ,so easy to grab a leash and stop a lunge or chase

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bashful and Miss Eleanor have a similar love/hate situation going on. Sometimes, they will lie on the bed right next to each other taking the sun, and at night, when they jockey for position as to which will be where next to me, all is well. Other times, however, they will hiss at each other, with it sometimes escalating to swatting and chasing, the chaser and chasee being interchangeable. Mind you, these two have been under the same roof for over five years now, and it has been, for the most part, peaceful, but every so often they demonstrate that, yes, they are cat.

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two that just will not get along. (Lived together for five years.) While they have decided that one has the downstairs portion of my house and the other one lives in the upstairs portion, they can both travel either way. Occasionally, I will hear hissing and growling and the odd chase but as soon as I tell them to stop, they back off. But I do keep them separate if there is no one here just in case. However I have seen them both test the waters, one going into one of the kitty condos and the other knowing that the other one is in there (usually because one is in the other ones kitty condo in their territory) and sticking their heads in the doorway. This results usually in a hiss and chase until each goes back to their respective floors. At least two or three times a day however, one is spying on the other without any hissing or chasing so I have hope one day they will come to an agreement to live together.......

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My two are frienemies. Willow absolutely refuses to come out if Lola is free so Lola is still locked in her room evenings and overnight. But during the day she will find Willow wherever she is napping and stand inches from her until Willow starts to scream and then she walks away. And at night Willow will meow outside Lola’s gate until Lola wakes up and walks over to it. Then Willow hisses and runs away. A form of old girl entertainment for both I think.

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For a time,because of my health and the inability to work a friend of mine set me up to work for him at my home,arbitrating his clients debt( money mgnt programs- consolidations,settlement ,refinancing and other debt eliminating prograns)

It's mindblowing how much interest people pay,how long they pay it and how much money these creditors make off one stupid little purchase that could've been paid off so easily but interest keeps them underwater decades after they got into debt and cant evdn use those credit cards anymore-so many people do not realize these things can be negotiated with one phonecall ... they don't even need an arbitrator,it's mostly unsecured debt that is pretty easily resolved and not the people with student loans or big mortgages ,,it was bad decisions and living beyond their means that got them in a pickle

It would be nice if budgeting and financial guidance was provided in schools for our young -much more useful than algebra and geometry throughout a lifetime- right?
I failed geometry and algebra, but I remember the teacher (high school) telling us we were going to learn how to write checks, and I was blown away. I had been writing checks for years, and already had my own bank account. I opened up a retirement account when I was 25, and some of my friends thought I was insane because "I have forever to do that." Almost 16 years has snuck up on me fast and I'm glad I did that when I did.
My Mom did terribly in advanced math, but can do addition and subtraction in her head like she's a calculator. We used to go grocery shopping and she'd total up a cart full of groceries in her head and get the total right within a dollar. I, myself, did not inherit that ability!